where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Carburization thickness measuring
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:28 Nov-23-2007

Bong Jin Son

Engineering, Inspection, Corrosion, Material
SK Innovation,
South Korea,
Joined Apr 2008
Carburization thickness measuring

Carburization of low alloy steel tube for fired heater in refinery and petrochemical plant occurs. Sometimes carburzation makes big trouble due to metal dusting and it brings to emergency plant down. I am lookging for the method to measure the thickness of carburization of low alloy steel.
Is there anybody who knows that?

08:22 Nov-23-2007

Ovidiu Iuga

NDT Inspector, thermography
ISCIR,
Romania,
Joined Dec 2005
Re: Carburization thickness measuring ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Carburization of low alloy steel tube for fired heater in refinery and petrochemical plant occurs. Sometimes carburzation makes big trouble due to metal dusting and it brings to emergency plant down. I am lookging for the method to measure the thickness of carburization of low alloy steel.
: Is there anybody who knows that?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Are you looking for a NDT method?

It's not possible to determine the depht of carburized layer using a NDT Techinque. Only by micro HV hardness test done on a sample prevlevated from the pipe, tube or whatever it is. As far as I remeber it's a standardised method. If it helps you I can dig and send you the spec. number.

Regards,
Ovidiu

01:24 Nov-25-2007

Ingo Becker

Engineering, NDT Inspector & Sales
ec-works GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Apr 2000
Re: Carburization thickness measuring We have developed an eddy current application to evaluate the carburisation thickness of steanless steel reformer tubes. As always with eddy current, you need tailored calibration tubes. We have not tried this for low alloy steels, but if the electric and magnetic values of the tubes changes with the carburisation, it might be possible to detect this with eddy current applications.

Best regards

Ingo Becker

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Carburization of low alloy steel tube for fired heater in refinery and petrochemical plant occurs. Sometimes carburzation makes big trouble due to metal dusting and it brings to emergency plant down. I am lookging for the method to measure the thickness of carburization of low alloy steel.
: Is there anybody who knows that?

05:33 Dec-16-2007
Floyd Atkinson
Re: Carburization thickness measuring Key component, tailored calibration tube sample, conplete with side cut slots, key holes and representative of the density of the tubes being tested. This is very hard to get and then come out with eddy current recordable results. Those tubes must be hydro cleaned and lightly brushed to remove residual chemical trash from the tubes proir to testsing. Been there done that. Then you need a thoroughly experienced eddy current engineer or a legal ASNT Eddy Current Level III to intepret the results.

Good luck.
Floyd Atkinson

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We have developed an eddy current application to evaluate the carburisation thickness of steanless steel reformer tubes. As always with eddy current, you need tailored calibration tubes. We have not tried this for low alloy steels, but if the electric and magnetic values of the tubes changes with the carburisation, it might be possible to detect this with eddy current applications.
: Best regards
: Ingo Becker
: : Carburization of low alloy steel tube for fired heater in refinery and petrochemical plant occurs. Sometimes carburzation makes big trouble due to metal dusting and it brings to emergency plant down. I am lookging for the method to measure the thickness of carburization of low alloy steel.
: : Is there anybody who knows that?

00:01 Oct-13-2011
Jeff Elam
Re: Carburization thickness measuring In Reply to Floyd Atkinson at 05:33 Dec-16-2007 .

I have heard of non-destructive methods to test furnace tubes for carburization in-situ. The methods have only been tested on tubes with a maximum chrome percentage of 9. Has anyone heard of a non-destructive test that could be used in-situ to test for carburization on 25 chrome 35 nickel furnace tubes?

09:45 Feb-18-2014

Syed Adnan

Engineering,
SABIC,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Dec 2013
Re: Carburization thickness measuring In Reply to Jeff Elam at 00:01 Oct-13-2011 .

KABOTA manufactured carburization meter . We are using succesfully.

23:14 Feb-18-2014

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: Carburization thickness measuring In Reply to Jeff Elam at 00:01 Oct-13-2011 .

Have you tried Eddy Current?

06:53 Feb-19-2014

Syed Adnan

Engineering,
SABIC,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Dec 2013
Re: Carburization thickness measuring In Reply to Michel Couture at 23:14 Feb-18-2014 .

we want to try , d oyou know any global service provider ?

13:52 Feb-20-2014

Mal Hill

United Kingdom,
Joined Jun 2012
Re: Carburization thickness measuring In Reply to Syed Adnan at 06:53 Feb-19-2014 .

I heard of a team in the Canary islands using TOFD on piping ,measuring the carborisation layer increase along side readings from a normal UT thickness meter-I think theres an articla on the web about it still.

23:16 Feb-20-2014
Kevin Stevens
Re: Carburization thickness measuring In Reply to Mal Hill at 13:52 Feb-20-2014 .

My understanding of the Kubota carburisation meter, is that it is a hand held device, so it is typically used on the bottom 2m of reformer tubes. Quest Integrity have an eddy current system mounted on a crawler that can reach the hotter regions of furnaces where the carburisation is worse. Quest have been inspecting HPM alloy (25%Cr-35%Ni) tubes used in ethylene crackers, using an eddy current method. The magnetic permeability increases when the Cr levels in the matrix is depleted below approx. 12 to 15%. A swept frequency approach can be used to infer the carburisation thickness by fitting FEA models to the probe impedance, see Stevens et al, J. Phys D, Appl Phys Vol 37, p501-509, 2004. The quest system is available as a commercial service. The crawler can also measure the tube diameter increase associated with carburisation.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|