where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
U/T Equipment for Steel Forged Bar
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Iris Inspection Services, Inc.
We are the world’s largest supplier of air cooler, boiler and exchanger tubing inspection services.

09:10 Dec-10-2007
Tony Li
U/T Equipment for Steel Forged Bar

Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)

We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.

Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?

Thanks

Tony Li

04:16 Dec-10-2007

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: U/T Equipment for Steel Forged Bar I think you will need a standard ultrasonic flaw detector. Whether you need to use a single element transducer or a dual element transducer, depends on the diameter of the steel bar. Dual element transducers will be needed for smaller diameter bars.

There are many Indian manufacturers of UT flaw detectors and I am sure you can find a good solution with in your budget. I am not connected with any of them and hence I would not recommend specific manufacturers and models etc. I can help you in evaluating the offers which you get, if you need such help.

Swamy
Hyderabad, India

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)
: We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.
: Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?
: Thanks
: Tony Li
------------ End Original Message ------------

04:38 Dec-10-2007

Dent

Consultant, NDE Manager NDELevel III/3
NDT Consultant,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: U/T Equipment for Steel Forged Bar I test forged bars all day long.
What sizes are your forged bars? This will determine if you need dual elements and what size single elements you need. A basic UT instrument is all you need. There are many inexpensive models out there.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I think you will need a standard ultrasonic flaw detector. Whether you need to use a single element transducer or a dual element transducer, depends on the diameter of the steel bar. Dual element transducers will be needed for smaller diameter bars.
: There are many Indian manufacturers of UT flaw detectors and I am sure you can find a good solution with in your budget. I am not connected with any of them and hence I would not recommend specific manufacturers and models etc. I can help you in evaluating the offers which you get, if you need such help.
: Swamy
: Hyderabad, India
:
: : Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)
: : We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.
: : Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?
: : Thanks
: : Tony Li

07:13 Dec-10-2007
chris s
Re: U/T Equipment for Steel Forged Bar ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)
: We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.
: Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?

this inspection can be performed with a relatively cheap analog ut machine ($500), you can look on ebay. your transducer will be Dependant on the bar. i don't think you will need a dual element, a single should work. they are typically more durable anyway

03:56 Dec-11-2007
Tony Li
Re: U/T Equipment for Steel Forged Bar ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I think you will need a standard ultrasonic flaw detector. Whether you need to use a single element transducer or a dual element transducer, depends on the diameter of the steel bar. Dual element transducers will be needed for smaller diameter bars.
: There are many Indian manufacturers of UT flaw detectors and I am sure you can find a good solution with in your budget. I am not connected with any of them and hence I would not recommend specific manufacturers and models etc. I can help you in evaluating the offers which you get, if you need such help.
: Swamy
: Hyderabad, India
:
: : Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)
: : We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.
: : Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?
: : Thanks
: : Tony Li

The sizes of our bars are from 250mm to 760mm dia.

And we need to test around 2500mt a month, or 300-400 bars.

U/T standards are mainly ASTM A388, API 6A PSL3, SEP1921 D/c or C/c

I already had several quotes from GE, Sonatest, Newsonic etc. all digital, easy to carry.

Thanks

Tony Li

07:03 Dec-13-2007

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
: : I think you will need a standard ultrasonic flaw detector. Whether you need to use a single element transducer or a dual element transducer, depends on the diameter of the steel bar. Dual element transducers will be needed for smaller diameter bars.
: : There are many Indian manufacturers of UT flaw detectors and I am sure you can find a good solution with in your budget. I am not connected with any of them and hence I would not recommend specific manufacturers and models etc. I can help you in evaluating the offers which you get, if you need such help.
: : Swamy
: : Hyderabad, India
: :
: : : Can anyone advise on suitable U/T equipments for general testing of steel forged round bars (just normal carbon & alloy grades, not for power generation/aerospace usage etc)
: : : We contacted GE and they suggested USM 35X with Dual Element Transducer. Price is very expensive and we really doubt if this is necessary to have this level of equipment.
: : : Also for the transducer, is Single Element Transducer good enough for our product ?
: : : Thanks
: : : Tony Li
: The sizes of our bars are from 250mm to 760mm dia.
: And we need to test around 2500mt a month, or 300-400 bars.
: U/T standards are mainly ASTM A388, API 6A PSL3, SEP1921 D/c or C/c
: I already had several quotes from GE, Sonatest, Newsonic etc. all digital, easy to carry.

300 - 400 bars a month translates to about 15 bars a day and can be done manually. The selection of the probe depends on the defect to be detected. Check out the model with the best price.

Swamy

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|