where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT Capability
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:55 Dec-27-2007

steve

NDT Inspector,
Bureau Veritas Asset Integrity & Reliability Services,
Australia,
Joined Aug 2005
NDT Capability

Wow...It is a scary world!

It is my perception that there is a rising frequency of posts to this forum from inexperienced technicians, particular in the fields of ultrasonics and radiography, asking questions that should be addressed by training, in-house procedures and Level III supervisors.

This Technical Discussions Forum is a great tool for seeking peer review, or advice, from NDT practitioners that are faced with a task that is outside of their normal scope of testing.

It is also a great forum to discuss the merits or failings of codes, standards or inspection technologies.

It should not be seen as a replacement or stop-gap for training.

Please don't misunderstand me, I am not critical of the persons posting the messages, in fact I applaud them for seeking the advice of their worthy peers that take the time to attempt to assist them where they can.

However, I do wonder why they use this forum for this purpose. Is it because they don't have, or have access to, training, in-house procedures and Level III supervisors?

If this is the case, our industry is in trouble.

03:30 Dec-31-2007

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: NDT Capability Steve,

You are right. While we should certainly applaud and appreciate their inerest in learning, the situation does point to an alarming situation where they are required to fend for thenselves without any help inhouse. Cost cutting measures, appear smart in the short run but can be catastrophic.

Let us help them as much as we can, keeping the safety aspects in view.

Swamy

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Wow...It is a scary world!
: It is my perception that there is a rising frequency of posts to this forum from inexperienced technicians, particular in the fields of ultrasonics and radiography, asking questions that should be addressed by training, in-house procedures and Level III supervisors.
: This Technical Discussions Forum is a great tool for seeking peer review, or advice, from NDT practitioners that are faced with a task that is outside of their normal scope of testing.
: It is also a great forum to discuss the merits or failings of codes, standards or inspection technologies.
: It should not be seen as a replacement or stop-gap for training.
: Please don't misunderstand me, I am not critical of the persons posting the messages, in fact I applaud them for seeking the advice of their worthy peers that take the time to attempt to assist them where they can.
: However, I do wonder why they use this forum for this purpose. Is it because they don't have, or have access to, training, in-house procedures and Level III supervisors?
: If this is the case, our industry is in trouble.
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:31 Jan-03-2008

Michel

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: NDT Capability Hi Guys,

I've been in the NDT business since 1989 and got my training from the Canadian Air Force. I retired in 1996 and was able to gain experience in various industries, yet I don't know it all.

With our profession changing so fast, no amount of training and supervision will teach you everything. This forum is in my opinion a place where we as technician can come and learn about a situation we might have not encounter before. In the past, I've worked with helpers that were very knowledgeable in their industry and also with Level 3 that were unfamiliar with my industry.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that we should keep an open mind. Helping and teaching one another will only reflect positively on our profession.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Steve,
: You are right. While we should certainly applaud and appreciate their inerest in learning, the situation does point to an alarming situation where they are required to fend for thenselves without any help inhouse. Cost cutting measures, appear smart in the short run but can be catastrophic.
: Let us help them as much as we can, keeping the safety aspects in view.
: Swamy
:
: : Wow...It is a scary world!
: : It is my perception that there is a rising frequency of posts to this forum from inexperienced technicians, particular in the fields of ultrasonics and radiography, asking questions that should be addressed by training, in-house procedures and Level III supervisors.
: : This Technical Discussions Forum is a great tool for seeking peer review, or advice, from NDT practitioners that are faced with a task that is outside of their normal scope of testing.
: : It is also a great forum to discuss the merits or failings of codes, standards or inspection technologies.
: : It should not be seen as a replacement or stop-gap for training.
: : Please don't misunderstand me, I am not critical of the persons posting the messages, in fact I applaud them for seeking the advice of their worthy peers that takethe time to attempt to assist them where they can.
: : However, I do wonder why they use this forum for this purpose. Is it because they don't have, or have access to, training, in-house procedures and Level III supervisors?
: : If this is the case, our industry is in trouble.
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|