where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Doo Chul Park
R & D
Worltech R&D Center, South Korea, Joined Oct 1999, 5

Doo Chul Park

R & D
Worltech R&D Center,
South Korea,
Joined Oct 1999
04:41 Jan-05-2000
multi-layer thickness measurement.

Dear Sir

I'm looking for in-line system for multi-layer thickess measurement.
I want to measure wall thickness of Pipe.
Pipe is consist in PB(poly Buthylene) and EVOH(thin plate).
Total Diameter of Pipe : 10mm -25mm
total wall thickness : 1.6mm - 3mm
Wall Configuration:
Outter wall Insulation layer Inner wall
PB(0.7mm-1.5mm) EVOH(fixed 0.1mm) PB(0.7mm-1.5mm)

there is no air gap between EVOH and PB.

Any comment will be appreciated!
Thank you!

Rolf Diederichs
Director, Editor
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 602

Rolf Diederichs

Director, Editor
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
00:59 Jan-06-2000
Re: multi-layer thickness measurement.
I am pleased to see so often rising topics of my old favorite market of ultrasonic testing in plastic pipe extrusion.

You may read the article "UT in Plastic pipe extrusion" which is a guide book about the state of the art (http://www.ndt.net/article/rohrext/rohre_e.htm). It should not be a problem to measure the wallthickness of the extruded multilayer pipe you requested. Even a single layers could be evaluated, this is described in the chapter - Coextrusion Layer Thickness Measurement.
Anyway, be carefully when using a simple digital thickness gage with no echo display. The multilayer can cause interferences and phase shifts which needs an appropriate gate and threshold setting. An echo display of a typical problem is depicted at http://www.ndt.net/article/rohrext/image/multilay.gif.

Rolf Diederichs
----------------
: Dear Sir

: I'm looking for in-line system for multi-layer thickess measurement.
: I want to measure wall thickness of Pipe.
: Pipe is consist in PB(poly Buthylene) and EVOH(thin plate).
: Total Diameter of Pipe : 10mm -25mm
: total wall thickness : 1.6mm - 3mm
: Wall Configuration:
: Outter wall Insulation layer Inner wall
: PB(0.7mm-1.5mm) EVOH(fixed 0.1mm) PB(0.7mm-1.5mm)

: there is no air gap between EVOH and PB.

: Any comment will be appreciated!
: Thank you!

Product Spotlight

Webinar: FMC & Advanced Focusing Techniques for Improved Ultrasonic Inspections

Phased array ultrasound is now a commonly accepted inspection technology. Now there is excitement ar
ound new techniques in Phased Array: Full Matrix Capture (FMC) & Total Focusing Method (TFM). Our webinar on December 5 & 6 will illustrate how these techniques, implemented on a TOPAZ64 instrument, can improve the results of existing inspections. Register today.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s