where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Doo Chul Park
R & D
Worltech R&D Center, South Korea, Joined Oct 1999, 5

Doo Chul Park

R & D
Worltech R&D Center,
South Korea,
Joined Oct 1999
04:41 Jan-05-2000
multi-layer thickness measurement.

Dear Sir

I'm looking for in-line system for multi-layer thickess measurement.
I want to measure wall thickness of Pipe.
Pipe is consist in PB(poly Buthylene) and EVOH(thin plate).
Total Diameter of Pipe : 10mm -25mm
total wall thickness : 1.6mm - 3mm
Wall Configuration:
Outter wall Insulation layer Inner wall
PB(0.7mm-1.5mm) EVOH(fixed 0.1mm) PB(0.7mm-1.5mm)

there is no air gap between EVOH and PB.

Any comment will be appreciated!
Thank you!

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 608

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
00:59 Jan-06-2000
Re: multi-layer thickness measurement.
I am pleased to see so often rising topics of my old favorite market of ultrasonic testing in plastic pipe extrusion.

You may read the article "UT in Plastic pipe extrusion" which is a guide book about the state of the art (http://www.ndt.net/article/rohrext/rohre_e.htm). It should not be a problem to measure the wallthickness of the extruded multilayer pipe you requested. Even a single layers could be evaluated, this is described in the chapter - Coextrusion Layer Thickness Measurement.
Anyway, be carefully when using a simple digital thickness gage with no echo display. The multilayer can cause interferences and phase shifts which needs an appropriate gate and threshold setting. An echo display of a typical problem is depicted at http://www.ndt.net/article/rohrext/image/multilay.gif.

Rolf Diederichs
----------------
: Dear Sir

: I'm looking for in-line system for multi-layer thickess measurement.
: I want to measure wall thickness of Pipe.
: Pipe is consist in PB(poly Buthylene) and EVOH(thin plate).
: Total Diameter of Pipe : 10mm -25mm
: total wall thickness : 1.6mm - 3mm
: Wall Configuration:
: Outter wall Insulation layer Inner wall
: PB(0.7mm-1.5mm) EVOH(fixed 0.1mm) PB(0.7mm-1.5mm)

: there is no air gap between EVOH and PB.

: Any comment will be appreciated!
: Thank you!

Product Spotlight

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window