where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

NDTSS - Non Destructive Testing Society of Singapore
Visit us at SINCE 2019

Technical Discussions
Doo Chul Park
R & D
Worltech R&D Center, South Korea, Joined Oct 1999, 5

Doo Chul Park

R & D
Worltech R&D Center,
South Korea,
Joined Oct 1999
04:41 Jan-05-2000
multi-layer thickness measurement.

Dear Sir

I'm looking for in-line system for multi-layer thickess measurement.
I want to measure wall thickness of Pipe.
Pipe is consist in PB(poly Buthylene) and EVOH(thin plate).
Total Diameter of Pipe : 10mm -25mm
total wall thickness : 1.6mm - 3mm
Wall Configuration:
Outter wall Insulation layer Inner wall
PB(0.7mm-1.5mm) EVOH(fixed 0.1mm) PB(0.7mm-1.5mm)

there is no air gap between EVOH and PB.

Any comment will be appreciated!
Thank you!

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 604

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
00:59 Jan-06-2000
Re: multi-layer thickness measurement.
I am pleased to see so often rising topics of my old favorite market of ultrasonic testing in plastic pipe extrusion.

You may read the article "UT in Plastic pipe extrusion" which is a guide book about the state of the art (http://www.ndt.net/article/rohrext/rohre_e.htm). It should not be a problem to measure the wallthickness of the extruded multilayer pipe you requested. Even a single layers could be evaluated, this is described in the chapter - Coextrusion Layer Thickness Measurement.
Anyway, be carefully when using a simple digital thickness gage with no echo display. The multilayer can cause interferences and phase shifts which needs an appropriate gate and threshold setting. An echo display of a typical problem is depicted at http://www.ndt.net/article/rohrext/image/multilay.gif.

Rolf Diederichs
----------------
: Dear Sir

: I'm looking for in-line system for multi-layer thickess measurement.
: I want to measure wall thickness of Pipe.
: Pipe is consist in PB(poly Buthylene) and EVOH(thin plate).
: Total Diameter of Pipe : 10mm -25mm
: total wall thickness : 1.6mm - 3mm
: Wall Configuration:
: Outter wall Insulation layer Inner wall
: PB(0.7mm-1.5mm) EVOH(fixed 0.1mm) PB(0.7mm-1.5mm)

: there is no air gap between EVOH and PB.

: Any comment will be appreciated!
: Thank you!

Product Spotlight

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window