where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Teletest
Teletest Focus+ was the first system to use long-range guided wave ultrasonic testing to detect corrosion in pipelines.

Technical Discussions
Richard D. Roberts
Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 78

Richard D. Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
09:20 Jan-05-2000
Coating Thickness Measurement on Rubber or Plastic

I am looking for a way to measure the thickness of a coating when applied to a Rubber or Plastic surface. The coating is between 0.010" and 0.015" thick. I would prefer a "non-contact" method but might be forced into a "contact" method. Accuracy’s should be +/-0.001" if possible. Any past experiences would be appreciated.

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
09:37 Jan-05-2000
Re: Coating Thickness Measurement on Rubber or Plastic

: I am looking for a way to measure the thickness of a coating when applied to a Rubber or Plastic surface. The coating is between 0.010" and 0.015" thick. I would prefer a "non-contact" method but might be forced into a "contact" method. Accuracy’s should be +/-0.001" if possible. Any past experiences would be appreciated.

What type of coating?

This may be a fairly straightforward test for an ultrasonic gage working in the 10-20 MHz range, as long as the coating is reasonably non-porous, but I would have to know the exact nature of the coating and the substrate materials to comment much further. Whether it would work or not depends on the acoustic transmission properties of the coating and the relative acoustic impedances of the coating and substrate.

This sort of ultrasonic testing would require coupling via a water column or through a water bath, but it would not be necessary to touch the coating with anything solid. Low frequency air-coupled ultrasonic techniques could measure the distancefrom a reference point to the surface, which could give you an idea of coating thickness if the test material is in a stable position with respect to the probe, but would not have sufficient resolution to independently measure the coating thickness.

--Tom Nelligan

Vo Hoang Long
Vo Hoang Long
08:52 Nov-07-2000
: I am looking for a way to measure the thickness of a coating when applied to a Rubber or Plastic surface. The coating is between 0.010" and 0.015" thick. I would prefer a "non-contact" method but might be forced into a "contact" method. Accuracy’s should be +/-0.001" if possible. Any past experiences would be appreciated.

Torsten Pagel
Torsten Pagel
00:49 Nov-07-2000

Dear Sir,

the CTM20 is a portable, digital ultrasonic "Coating Thickness Meter" which can measure layered coatings an (nearly) every base substrate. It uses a special, broadband PVDF-Probe, which gives a resolution of 1µm. The measuring range is from 10µm to 500µm. Up to 3 layers could be measured with one shot. As all ultrasonic methods are contact-methods, you need a coupling paste between the test piece and probe.
Refere to www.krautkramer.com for more informations.

Best Regards

Torsten Pagel

Product Spotlight

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window