where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Coating Thickness Measurement on Rubber or Plastic
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

09:20 Jan-05-2000

Richard D. Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Coating Thickness Measurement on Rubber or Plastic

I am looking for a way to measure the thickness of a coating when applied to a Rubber or Plastic surface. The coating is between 0.010" and 0.015" thick. I would prefer a "non-contact" method but might be forced into a "contact" method. Accuracy’s should be +/-0.001" if possible. Any past experiences would be appreciated.

09:37 Jan-05-2000

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Coating Thickness Measurement on Rubber or Plastic
: I am looking for a way to measure the thickness of a coating when applied to a Rubber or Plastic surface. The coating is between 0.010" and 0.015" thick. I would prefer a "non-contact" method but might be forced into a "contact" method. Accuracy’s should be +/-0.001" if possible. Any past experiences would be appreciated.

What type of coating?

This may be a fairly straightforward test for an ultrasonic gage working in the 10-20 MHz range, as long as the coating is reasonably non-porous, but I would have to know the exact nature of the coating and the substrate materials to comment much further. Whether it would work or not depends on the acoustic transmission properties of the coating and the relative acoustic impedances of the coating and substrate.

This sort of ultrasonic testing would require coupling via a water column or through a water bath, but it would not be necessary to touch the coating with anything solid. Low frequency air-coupled ultrasonic techniques could measure the distancefrom a reference point to the surface, which could give you an idea of coating thickness if the test material is in a stable position with respect to the probe, but would not have sufficient resolution to independently measure the coating thickness.

--Tom Nelligan

08:52 Nov-07-2000
Vo Hoang Long
Re: Coating Thickness Measurement on Rubber or Plastic : I am looking for a way to measure the thickness of a coating when applied to a Rubber or Plastic surface. The coating is between 0.010" and 0.015" thick. I would prefer a "non-contact" method but might be forced into a "contact" method. Accuracy’s should be +/-0.001" if possible. Any past experiences would be appreciated.

00:49 Nov-07-2000
Torsten Pagel
Re: Coating Thickness Measurement on Rubber or Plastic : I am looking for a way to measure the thickness of a coating when applied to a Rubber or Plastic surface. The coating is between 0.010" and 0.015" thick. I would prefer a "non-contact" method but might be forced into a "contact" method. Accuracy’s should be +/-0.001" if possible. Any past experiences would be appreciated.

Dear Sir,

the CTM20 is a portable, digital ultrasonic "Coating Thickness Meter" which can measure layered coatings an (nearly) every base substrate. It uses a special, broadband PVDF-Probe, which gives a resolution of 1µm. The measuring range is from 10µm to 500µm. Up to 3 layers could be measured with one shot. As all ultrasonic methods are contact-methods, you need a coupling paste between the test piece and probe.
Refere to www.krautkramer.com for more informations.

Best Regards

Torsten Pagel

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|