where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
EC inspection of welds
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:23 Jan-11-2008
MihaiC
EC inspection of welds

Please, can anybody tell me which is the average production rate for eddy current manual inspection of ferromagnetic steel welds, covered by a 0,5mm thick non-conductive coating?
Which length can be inspected during a normal 8 hours shift, with proper access and working conditions?

08:53 Jan-12-2008
MihaiC
Re: eddy current inspection of welds ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Please, can anybody tell me which is the average production rate for eddy current manual inspection of ferromagnetic steel welds, covered by a 0,5mm thick non-conductive coating?
: Which length can be inspected during a normal 8 hours shift, with proper access and working conditions?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Everybody HELP!
We need to inspect by EC a great length of butt-weld and we really need to evaluate the time periode requested for this operation,
There is someone with experience in the field?
Thank you,

01:31 Jan-13-2008

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: eddy current inspection of welds Having only approached this from the equipment manufacturing side I would not want to be the one to suggest numbers. What you get will depend on a lot of factors, particular the surface condition of the weld, and of course the size of defect you are looking for.

I would stongly suggested getting equipment vendors involvd and commissioning some serious trials.

One point worth making is that If you are looking at Electromagnetic Inspection of welds, and if the speed is critical to the point that the relatively higher purchase cost of the ACFM equipment is less important, you should probably be comparing both standard eddy current, and ACFM methods.

Joe

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Please, can anybody tell me which is the average production rate for eddy current manual inspection of ferromagnetic steel welds, covered by a 0,5mm thick non-conductive coating?
: : Which length can be inspected during a normal 8 hours shift, with proper access and working conditions?
:
: Everybody HELP!
: We need to inspect by EC a great length of butt-weld and we really need to evaluate the time periode requested for this operation,
: There is someone with experience in the field?
: Thank you,

00:47 Jan-14-2008
MihaiC
Re: eddy current inspection of welds Joe,
First, thank you very much for answer.
The problem is that we really don’t have time for testing different technical approaches. We only have two options: remove the paint coating and perform magnetic particles testing or use eddy current and save time and money.
From my knowledge, the eddy current option is a faster and cheaper solution than MT – we are specking about weld covered by special protective painting.
The single piece of supplementary information is that the weld are manually done, not automated.
I am aware that there are several factors that influence the speed of the inspection but I need the average production rate accepted in the industry. The tested piece, the equipment and the experience of the operator will always induce variations… but I still need to have at least an idea about this problem.

Thank you,

MihaiC

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Having only approached this from the equipment manufacturing side I would not want to be the one to suggest numbers. What you get will depend on a lot of factors, particular the surface condition of the weld, and of course the size of defect you are looking for.
: I would stongly suggested getting equipment vendors involvd and commissioning some serious trials.
: One point worth making is that If you are looking at Electromagnetic Inspection of welds, and if the speed is critical to the point that the relatively higher purchase cost of the ACFM equipment is less important, you should probably be comparing both standard eddy current, and ACFM methods.
: Joe
: : : Please, can anybody tell me which is the average production rate for eddy current manual inspection of ferromagnetic steel welds, covered by a 0,5mm thick non-conductive coating?
: : : Which length can be inspected during a normal 8 hours shift, with proper access and working conditions?
: :
: : Everybody HELP!
: : We need to inspect by EC a great length of butt-weld and we really need to evaluate the time periode requestedfor this operation,
: : There is someone with experience in the field?
: : Thank you,

01:48 Jan-14-2008

Martin Lugg

Consultant,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: eddy current inspection of welds ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Joe,
: First, thank you very much for answer.
: The problem is that we really don’t have time for testing different technical approaches. We only have two options: remove the paint coating and perform magnetic particles testing or use eddy current and save time and money.
: From my knowledge, the eddy current option is a faster and cheaper solution than MT – we are specking about weld covered by special protective painting.
: The single piece of supplementary information is that the weld are manually done, not automated.
: I am aware that there are several factors that influence the speed of the inspection but I need the average production rate accepted in the industry. The tested piece, the equipment and the experience of the operator will always induce variations… but I still need to have at least an idea about this problem.
: Thank you,
: MihaiC
: : Having only approached this from the equipment manufacturing side I would not want to be the one to suggest numbers. What you get will depend on a lot of factors, particular the surface condition of the weld, and of course the size of defect you are looking for.
: : I would stongly suggested getting equipment vendors involvd and commissioning some serious trials.
: : One point worth making is that If you are looking at Electromagnetic Inspection of welds, and if the speed is critical to the point that the relatively higher purchase cost of the ACFM equipment is less important, you should probably be comparing both standard eddy current, and ACFM methods.
: : Joe
: : : : Please, can anybody tell me which is the average production rate for eddy current manual inspection of ferromagnetic steel welds, covered by a 0,5mm thick non-conductive coating?
: : : : Which length can be inspected during a normal 8 hours shift, with proper access and working conditions?
: : :
: : : Everybody HELP!
: : : We need to inspect by EC a great length of butt-weld and we really need to evaluate the time periode requested for this operation,
: : : There is someone with experience in the field?
: : : Thank you,

MihaiC,
I am also approaching this as a manufacturer (of ACFM equipment mentioned by Joe). We have a typical recommended scanning speed of 100mm/sec for manual deployment, but this will only give an upper limit to the true inspection rate.
This rate should be provided by users, but since no users seem to be replying to you, I can tell you that one user (Apave in France) reported an inspection rate of 100m/hour on coated lap and butt welds on steel storage tanks, after setting up special deployment methods and some practice. They subsequently increased this rate by using advanced array probes, but obviously this increases the cost. Hope that is some help.

06:55 Jan-14-2008

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: eddy current inspection of welds You need to determine that the proposed test is really effective before thinking about how long it will take to do it. Variations in magnetic permeability between base metal, heat-affected zone and filler metal can produce some crazy signals, and may vary with the filler metal and welding process. It is often necessary to test under conditions of magnetic saturation, and limits the test to surface and very near-surface discontinuiities.

---------- Start Original Message -----------
: Having only approached this from the equipment manufacturing side I would not want to be the one to suggest numbers. What you get will depend on a lot of factors, particular the surface condition of the weld, and of course the size of defect you are looking for.
: I would stongly suggested getting equipment vendors involvd and commissioning some serious trials.
: One point worth making is that If you are looking at Electromagnetic Inspection of welds, and if the speed is critical to the point that the relatively higher purchase cost of the ACFM equipment is less important, you should probably be comparing both standard eddy current, and ACFM methods.
: Joe
: : : Please, can anybody tell me which is the average production rate for eddy current manual inspection of ferromagnetic steel welds, covered by a 0,5mm thick non-conductive coating?
: : : Which length can be inspected during a normal 8 hours shift, with proper access and working conditions?
: :
: : Everybody HELP!
: : We need to inspect by EC a great length of butt-weld and we really need to evaluate the time periode requested for this operation,
: : There is someone with experience in the field?
: : Thank you,

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|