where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

WesDyne International (AMDATA Products)
WesDyne is an engineering and technical services firm dedicated to providing standard and custom nondestructive examinations (NDE) products and systems
Technical Discussions
John Sorin
John Sorin
01:09 Jan-11-2008
Ultrasonic Testing System, Immersion Tank

I am interested in inspecting 1/4" to 1" OD stainles steel tube, 100% UT, 4 - 5 channels. I am looking for a system able to inspect 2 opposite axial directions, 2 opposite circumferential directions and maybe, one channel for dimentional inspection. Thanks. SJ

Joe Buckley
Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT, United Kingdom, Joined Oct 1999, 524

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
00:21 Jan-12-2008
Re: Ultrasonic Testing System, Immersion Tank
Are you sure about this?

1/4 diameter Stainless tube would presumably be very thin walled. It seems unlikely that a UT inspection would be the most effective approach.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am interested in inspecting 1/4" to 1" OD stainles steel tube, 100% UT, 4 - 5 channels. I am looking for a system able to inspect 2 opposite axial directions, 2 opposite circumferential directions and maybe, one channel for dimentional inspection. Thanks. SJ
------------ End Original Message ------------

Rolf Diederichs
Director,
NDT.net, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 608

Rolf Diederichs

Director,
NDT.net,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
00:09 Jan-12-2008
I guess that these tubes are nuclear fuel cladding tubes. I remember my time in Krautkramer for 20 Years ago we delivered ultrasonic systems for this application. The tube wall thickness range of 0.4 to 0.9 mm and OD 4.5 to 15mm of length of 5 - 6 meters. "Advanced Nuclear Fuels GmbH" located in Lingen Germany used a system. Today UT companies like GE Inspection or intelligeNDT Systems & Services will know more about this application.

Here is an article presented at the WCNDT2000 which describes this application:

"Study of Defects Detected in Thin-Walled Zircaloy Tubes by Ultrasonic Testing in High Speed Rota- 25"
http://www.ndt.net/article/wcndt00/papers/idn618/idn618.htm

Rolf

: Are you sure about this?
: 1/4 diameter Stainless tube would presumably be very thin walled. It seems unlikely that a UT inspection would be the most effective approach.
: : I am interested in inspecting 1/4" to 1" OD stainles steel tube, 100% UT, 4 - 5 channels. I am looking for a system able to inspect 2 opposite axial directions, 2 opposite circumferential directions and maybe, one channel for dimentional inspection. Thanks. SJ

John Brunk
Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 161

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
06:43 Jan-14-2008
TAC Technical Instrument Co. in New Jersey has made systems for this application for years. Have a look at tactictest.com. I have no relationship with the company other than as a satisfied user of their equipment for mmore than 25 years.
--
--------- Start Original Message -----------
: Are you sure about this?
: 1/4 diameter Stainless tube would presumably be very thin walled. It seems unlikely that a UT inspection would be the most effective approach.
: : I am interested in inspecting 1/4" to 1" OD stainles steel tube, 100% UT, 4 - 5 channels. I am looking for a system able to inspect 2 opposite axial directions, 2 opposite circumferential directions and maybe, one channel for dimentional inspection. Thanks. SJ

S.V.Swamy
Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex , India, Joined Feb 2001, 787

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
02:35 Jan-26-2008
Rolf is right. Such thin walled tubing are normally used in nuclear fuel cladding and in case of stainless steel tubes, are meant for Fast Reactors, TACTIC and ROTA (Nukem) and now EEC (India) are in a position to supply such systems. There could be others too.

I would recommend a system which integrates UT, ET and Laser based dimensional / visual inspection so that the time of inspection comes down and reliability increases. ET is essential in addition to UT to ensure that pin-hole type discontinuities are detected. Alternatively, 100% hydrostatic test is needed.

I will be able to discuss more details if needed.

Swamy

: I guess that these tubes are nuclear fuel cladding tubes. I remember my time in Krautkramer for 20 Years ago we delivered ultrasonic systems for this application for many. The tube wall thickness range of 0.4 to 0.9 mm and OD 4.5 to 15mm of length of 5 - 6 meters. "Advanced Nuclear Fuels GmbH" located in Lingen Germany used a system. Today UT companies like GE Inspection or intelligeNDT Systems & Services will know more about this application.
: Here is an article presented at the WCNDT2000 which describes this application:
: "Study of Defects Detected in Thin-Walled Zircaloy Tubes by Ultrasonic Testing in High Speed Rota- 25"
: http://www.ndt.net/article/wcndt00/papers/idn618/idn618.htm
: Rolf
: : Are you sure about this?
: : 1/4 diameter Stainless tube would presumably be very thin walled. It seems unlikely that a UT inspection would be the most effective approach.
: : : I am interested in inspecting 1/4" to 1" OD stainles steel tube, 100% UT, 4 - 5 channels. I am looking for a system able to inspect 2 opposite axial directions, 2 opposite circumferential directions and maybe, one channel for dimentional inspection. Thanks. SJ

wayne Seemungal
wayne Seemungal
01:15 Mar-11-2008
Magnetic Analysis Corp. has supplied supplied several rotating head ultrasound systems for testing stainless steel tubing to customers in the USA. We have a system that will test down to 1/4'' with 7 transducers.

: I guess that these tubes are nuclear fuel cladding tubes. I remember my time in Krautkramer for 20 Years ago we delivered ultrasonic systems for this application for many. The tube wall thickness range of 0.4 to 0.9 mm and OD 4.5 to 15mm of length of 5 - 6 meters. "Advanced Nuclear Fuels GmbH" located in Lingen Germany used a system. Today UT companies like GE Inspection or intelligeNDT Systems & Services will know more about this application.
: Here is an article presented at the WCNDT2000 which describes this application:
: "Study of Defects Detected in Thin-Walled Zircaloy Tubes by Ultrasonic Testing in High Speed Rota- 25"
: http://www.ndt.net/article/wcndt00/papers/idn618/idn618.htm
: Rolf
: : Are you sure about this?
: : 1/4 diameter Stainless tube would presumably be very thin walled. It seems unlikely that a UT inspection would be the most effective approach.
: : : I am interested in inspecting 1/4" to 1" OD stainles steel tube, 100% UT, 4 - 5 channels. I am looking for a system able to inspect 2 opposite axial directions, 2 opposite circumferential directions and maybe, one channel for dimentional inspection. Thanks. SJ

Product Spotlight

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window