where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Who knows Bondimater and similar equipment
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:30 Jan-14-2008

Wolfgang Bisle

R & D, Project leader & Group Leader InService Inspect.
Airbus Deutschland GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Jul 2000
Who knows Bondimater and similar equipment

There is an article about bondtesting referring to "Bondimeter".
(http://www.ndt.net/article/wcndt00/papers/idn389/idn389.htm)
Does anybody know this equipment and the manufacturer.
Is other similar equipment known ?
The Bondimeter seems to operate similar to our ELCH which is described here Page 18 )?
We know that about 15-20 years ago some similar systems had been discussed and sold, but nothing to see now in the net...
(Please don't respond with recommendation of shearography - I know it best but it is too expensive, too bulky, too complicated etc...and finally the training and certifcation level is not widespread)

06:24 Jan-14-2008

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Who knows Bondimater and similar equipment That article references the Staveley/Sonic Bondmaster. Staveley is now part of Olympus NDT and the Bondmaster is still very much available. See the link below for details.

08:45 Jan-14-2008
Simon Amallraja
Re: Who knows Bondimater and similar equipment ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: There is an article about bondtesting referring to "Bondimeter".
: (http://www.ndt.net/article/wcndt00/papers/idn389/idn389.htm)
: Does anybody know this equipment and the manufacturer.
: Is other similar equipment known ?
: The Bondimeter seems to operate similar to our ELCH which is described here Page 18 )?
: We know that about 15-20 years ago some similar systems had been discussed and sold, but nothing to see now in the net...
: (Please don't respond with recommendation of shearography - I know it best but it is too expensive, too bulky, too complicated etc...and finally the training and certifcation level is not widespread)
------------ End Original Message ------------

Try Zetec Bondtester. Log on to www.zetec.com. May be useful to you

Simon

09:17 Jan-14-2008

Patrick

Sales,
YXLON International GmbH ,
Germany,
Joined Jan 2005
Re: Who knows Bondimater and similar equipment SONIC de chez OLYMPUS ndt
http://www.olympusndt.com/fr/workstation/sonic/

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: That article references the Staveley/Sonic Bondmaster. Staveley is now part of Olympus NDT and the Bondmaster is still very much available. See the link below for details.

00:17 Jan-15-2008

Wolfgang Bisle

R & D, Project leader & Group Leader InService Inspect.
Airbus Deutschland GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Jul 2000
Re: Who knows BONDIMETER and similar equipment Due to a lack of preview capability in this forum (The NDT forum uses an aged editing technique, so if you close your session it is gone) I generated 2 mistakes in my posting while submitting:

1) The headline had a misspelling: I don't refer to something which is finally the Bondmaster - that is wellknown and manufacturer is also known!

It is the BONDIMETER
B-O-N-D-I-M-E-T-E-R

The Bondimeter is described as something similar to the ELCH... and there was
the 2nd mistake: I did not correctly link to a publication of ATA NDT Forum with some technical details of the ELCH:
look here to this PDF-File and choose page 18:
http://www.airlines.org/NR/rdonlyres/AD57679D-E268-45FF-A247-C902528F407A/0/19HickenPresentation.pdf

Thanks for the remarks to BondMaster, Bondascope and Bondchecker 95. We know them very well. also the Votum (http://www.votum.ru) BONDETECTOR DAMI-C and ''TERI'' Impedance Express Tester are known to us. But due to the errors I made and the missing vhance to correct them, my question was not clearly understandable:

I look for instruments, which use vacuum loading and mechanical deformation gauging inside the vacuum cup.
I know that about 15-20 years ago this method to check sandwich was cited by several authors, but it seemed to vanish in the meantime - still the method is extremely effective and can do things all other more sophisticated NDT methods can't check reliably: rear skin debonding in thicker sandwiches.

For me posting this question was somehow to get access to the global NDT memory, as if you use search functions in Google or other search machines, only the above mentioned paper comes up.

02:55 Jan-15-2008

James Boaden

Sales,
Midas NDT Systems Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Jun 2002
Re: Who knows Bondimater and similar equipment The original article is by Joakim Anderson who still works at SAAB / CSM in Sweden, so why not ask him.

07:57 Apr-17-2008

David Forsyth

R & D
TRI/Austin,
USA,
Joined Nov 2001
Re: Who knows BONDIMETER and similar equipment Robert McMaster gave a lecture to an ASTM conference in 1952, the written document is an wide ranging review of the state of the art at the time. He does refer to

"A unique vacuum cup gage was used to measure sheet thicknesses and the strength of bonding of this sheets to base materials. The cup was placed over the sheet, and partial vacuum drawn within the cup. The deflection of the sheet was detected with a sensitive dial indicator."

There is a long list of references, but they are not marked in the main body. My guess is that the reference to this method is " B. M. Thornton and B. W. Thornton, "The Measurement of the Thickness of Metal Walls from One Surface Only", Proceedings, Inst. Mechanical Engrs., Vol. 140, October - December 1938, pp. 349 - 399.

The McMaster lecture was published by ASTM as the 1952 Edgar Marburg lecture, it is no longer available from ASTM or even Amazon. A good technical library should have it. I happen to have it in PDF format.

Regards, Dave.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Due to a lack of preview capability in this forum (The NDT forum uses an aged editing technique, so if you close your session it is gone) I generated 2 mistakes in my posting while submitting:
: 1) The headline had a misspelling: I don't refer to something which is finally the Bondmaster - that is wellknown and manufacturer is also known!
: It is the BONDIMETER
: B-O-N-D-I-M-E-T-E-R
: The Bondimeter is described as something similar to the ELCH... and there was
: the 2nd mistake: I did not correctly link to a publication of ATA NDT Forum with some technical details of the ELCH:
: look here to this PDF-File and choose page 18:
: http://www.airlines.org/NR/rdonlyres/AD57679D-E268-45FF-A247-C902528F407A/0/19HickenPresentation.pdf
: Thanks for the remarks to BondMaster, Bondascope and Bondchecker 95. We know them very well. also the Votum (http://www.votum.ru) BONDETECTOR DAMI-C and ''TERI'' Impedance Express Tester are known to us. But due to the errors I made and the missing vhance to correct them, my question was not clearly understandable:
: I look for instruments, which use vacuum loading and mechanical deformation gauging inside the vacuum cup.
: I know that about 15-20 years ago this method to check sandwich was cited by several authors, but it seemed to vanish in the meantime - still the method is extremely effective and can do things all other more sophisticated NDT methods can't check reliably: rear skin debonding in thicker sandwiches.
: For me posting this question was somehow to get access to the global NDT memory, as if you use search functions in Google or other search machines, only the above mentioned paper comes up.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|