where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Ashfaq Anwer
Engineering
Engro Chemical , Pakistan, Joined Jul 2007, 1

Ashfaq Anwer

Engineering
Engro Chemical ,
Pakistan,
Joined Jul 2007
05:18 Jan-18-2008
Ultrasonic Flaw Detection at High Temperature SS piping weld joints

We intend to perform UFD on SS lines weld joints while in operation (temperature ~ 200 deg C). I need help in identification of hardware (probes), accessories and method of performing UFD on SS weld joints. Anybody having such experience may guide me. I will be grateful.

UT Roscomm
UT Roscomm
07:52 Jan-24-2008
Re: Ultrasonic Flaw Detection at High Temperature SS piping weld joints
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We intend to perform UFD on SS lines weld joints while in operation (temperature ~ 200 deg C). I need help in identification of hardware (probes), accessories and method of performing UFD on SS weld joints. Anybody having such experience may guide me. I will be grateful.
------------ End Original Message ------------

You cannot do it with any reliability due the the interface between the weld and parent metal.

Collin Maloney
NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD, Australia, Joined Nov 2000, 147

Collin Maloney

NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD,
Australia,
Joined Nov 2000
06:38 Feb-23-2008
Re: Ultrasonic Flaw Detection at High Temperature SS piping weld joints
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : We intend to perform UFD on SS lines weld joints while in operation (temperature ~ 200 deg C). I need help in identification of hardware (probes), accessories and method of performing UFD on SS weld joints. Anybody having such experience may guide me. I will be grateful.
: You cannot do it with any reliability due the the interface between the weld and parent metal.
------------ End Original Message ------------

UFD of SS welds has been around for some time, see the IIW guide circa 1986. The testing at temperatures you are quoting, to my knowlege, is not possible. This is due to the probe design not able to withstand anything other than room temperature.

Product Spotlight

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

SONOAIR - air-coupled Phased Array Ultrasonic Inspection System

For highly attenuating materials, the performance of the system is critical. The ultrasonic sensors,
the scanning area and the system settings should be flexibly adapted to the test task and the material. These high expectations are met with the new and modular testing system SONOAIR. With the world’s first air-coupled phased-array UT inspection system SONOAIR we developed a technology that works with up to 4 transmitter and receiver channels with freely configurable square wave burst transmitters as wells as low noise receiving amplifiers.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window