where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Frank Lehmann
R & D
GE, India, Joined Jan 2008, 1

Frank Lehmann

R & D
GE,
India,
Joined Jan 2008
06:26 Jan-21-2008
GPR applied to a bored pile wall

Hello,

I'm planning to use GPR to check the thickness of a bored pile concrete wall. Every other pile is unreinforced and should have a diameter of 1.2m (47 1/4in). The height of the groundwater table behind the wall is not known, neither is the soil type. After some trials on different test specimens I've decided to go for either the 500MHz or the 900MHz antenna, depending on the conditions I'll find on site. Does anyone have experience with this kind of job, i.e. does it make sense to use the equipment as specified? Earlier measurements with US were not successful because of sand embeddings and the poor surface condition. Thank you very much,

Frank Lehmann

Ernst Niederleithinger
R & D, -
BAM (Fed. inst. for material research and testing, Germany, Joined Jun 2001, 7

Ernst Niederleithinger

R & D, -
BAM (Fed. inst. for material research and testing,
Germany,
Joined Jun 2001
07:14 Jan-21-2008
Re: GPR applied to a bored pile wall
Dear Frank,

it will be dangerous to guarantee success to a client. We have made lots of measurements i. e. on foundations slabs and did not see a reflection (neither with 900 MHz nor with 500 MHz antennas) from the base of a foundation slab (0.75-1.2 m thickness, accessible for trials at our site). Penetration depth depends much on moisture content, wich will be probably unfavourable high in your case. Nevertheless an interesting idea and it should be tried. I would be interested to see/discuss results. Or to assisst in the measurements/interpretation.

What kind uf US equipment did you use?

Ernst Niederleithinger

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello,
: I'm planning to use GPR to check the thickness of a bored pile concrete wall. Every other pile is unreinforced and should have a diameter of 1.2m (47 1/4in). The height of the groundwater table behind the wall is not known, neither is the soil type. After some trials on different test specimens I've decided to go for eitherthe 500MHz or the 900MHz antenna, depending on the conditions I'll find on site. Does anyone have experience with this kind of job, i.e. does it make sense to use the equipment as specified? Earlier measurements with US were not successful because of sand embeddings and the poor surface condition. Thank you very much,
: Frank Lehmann
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

EPOCH 6LT

The EPOCH 6LT flaw detector is optimized for one-handed operation in rope access and high-portab
ility applications. Lightweight with a grip-oriented weight distribution, the instrument fits securely in a user’s hand or can be strapped to their leg using the rope access accessory kit. The clear, bright screen makes A-scans readable in any light while the intuitive software enables fast navigation.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

X-ray CT aids research into defect formation in AM parts

X-ray CT is used to research how additive manufacturing process parameters influence defect format
ion in AM parts.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s