where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

YXLON International GmbH
X-ray and CT based NDT systems for a wide range of industrial applications.

Technical Discussions
Frank Lehmann
R & D
GE, India, Joined Jan 2008, 1

Frank Lehmann

R & D
GE,
India,
Joined Jan 2008
06:26 Jan-21-2008
GPR applied to a bored pile wall

Hello,

I'm planning to use GPR to check the thickness of a bored pile concrete wall. Every other pile is unreinforced and should have a diameter of 1.2m (47 1/4in). The height of the groundwater table behind the wall is not known, neither is the soil type. After some trials on different test specimens I've decided to go for either the 500MHz or the 900MHz antenna, depending on the conditions I'll find on site. Does anyone have experience with this kind of job, i.e. does it make sense to use the equipment as specified? Earlier measurements with US were not successful because of sand embeddings and the poor surface condition. Thank you very much,

Frank Lehmann

Ernst Niederleithinger
R & D, -
BAM (Fed. inst. for material research and testing, Germany, Joined Jun 2001, 7

Ernst Niederleithinger

R & D, -
BAM (Fed. inst. for material research and testing,
Germany,
Joined Jun 2001
07:14 Jan-21-2008
Re: GPR applied to a bored pile wall
Dear Frank,

it will be dangerous to guarantee success to a client. We have made lots of measurements i. e. on foundations slabs and did not see a reflection (neither with 900 MHz nor with 500 MHz antennas) from the base of a foundation slab (0.75-1.2 m thickness, accessible for trials at our site). Penetration depth depends much on moisture content, wich will be probably unfavourable high in your case. Nevertheless an interesting idea and it should be tried. I would be interested to see/discuss results. Or to assisst in the measurements/interpretation.

What kind uf US equipment did you use?

Ernst Niederleithinger

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello,
: I'm planning to use GPR to check the thickness of a bored pile concrete wall. Every other pile is unreinforced and should have a diameter of 1.2m (47 1/4in). The height of the groundwater table behind the wall is not known, neither is the soil type. After some trials on different test specimens I've decided to go for eitherthe 500MHz or the 900MHz antenna, depending on the conditions I'll find on site. Does anyone have experience with this kind of job, i.e. does it make sense to use the equipment as specified? Earlier measurements with US were not successful because of sand embeddings and the poor surface condition. Thank you very much,
: Frank Lehmann
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Wireless TOFD scanner

Quick, accurate and highly reproducible welds testing. The System operates wirelessly and is compat
ible with any type of Windows based Laptop, Desktop or Tablet.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window