where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
how to measure the inner diameters of a tube/pipe
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Controle Mesure Systemes
Contrôle Mesure Systèmes designs, develops and manufactures nearly 30 years a complete NDT range of products in eddy current and ultrasonic testing methods.

05:56 Jan-28-2008

Ahtram

Sales
Sanco,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Jan 2008
how to measure the inner diameters of a tube/pipe

Can someone please help me? We are a company based in UAE who supply various metal analysers to various companys across the region. Now I have one client who wishes to purchase a machine which he can use to find out the inner diameters of a tube or a pipe. Does anyone know of such device? If so what is the manufacturers name? I would appreciate if someone could assist me.

09:24 Jan-28-2008

Rich Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: how to measure the inner diameters of a tube/pipe Good Day Sir,

Quest TruTec provides field services utilizing proprietary laser based technology which very accurately measures tubes/pipe internal diameters (ID) with dimensions between 0.460" to 5.64" ID. For more information please visit Quest TruTec's website at http://www.questtrutec.com.

Regards, Rich
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please help me? We are a company based in UAE who supply various metal analysers to various companys across the region. Now I have one client who wishes to purchase a machine which he can use to find out the inner diameters of a tube or a pipe. Does anyone know of such device? If so what is the manufacturers name? I would appreciate if someone could assist me.
------------ End Original Message ------------

09:54 Jan-28-2008

J Doyle

Consultant
Laser Techniques Company, LLC,
USA,
Joined Jan 2003
Re: how to measure the inner diameters of a tube/pipe ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Can someone please help me? We are a company based in UAE who supply various metal analysers to various companys across the region. Now I have one client who wishes to purchase a machine which he can use to find out the inner diameters of a tube or a pipe. Does anyone know of such device? If so what is the manufacturers name? I would appreciate if someone could assist me.

Visit www.laser-NDT.com

03:39 Feb-01-2008

burhanudin sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: how to measure the inner diameters of a tube/pipe Inner diameter of a tube/pipe can be measured by radiography methods for which it is recommended to have the tube external measured first by the use of a pi tape, as a reference.
For required measurements of tube inner diameter at accessible zones, mechanical measurements can be done by the use of a 3 prong micrometer or BOWERS.

00:49 Feb-04-2008
nick
Re: how to measure the inner diameters of a tube/pipe ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Can someone please help me? We are a company based in UAE who supply various metal analysers to various companys across the region. Now I have one client who wishes to purchase a machine which he can use to find out the inner diameters of a tube or a pipe. Does anyone know of such device? If so what is the manufacturers name? I would appreciate if someone could assist me.
: Visit www.laser-NDT.com

hi athram,

we recently purchased a pulsed radiography system from vidisco, it had a function for measuring inside and outside pipe diameters (and therefore pipewall thickness) however scatter and radiographic unsharpness created some margin of error (we haven't looked in to how accurate it is yet!!.).

there are some articles in the recent BINDT magazine about measuring pipe wall thickness using the same type of system.

cheers,

Nick

03:08 Feb-04-2008
Robert Paynter

Presumably you can use a device that measures wall
thickness - taken at salient points around the
circumference and subtract from measurements of the
external diameter, which can be done with callipers
or similar. Wall thickness measurement has been a
frequent topic on this forum so I expect a search will
reveal the right method for your particular pipes.
Or am I being too simplistic?

Robert

06:24 Feb-04-2008

bob sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
: : : Can someone please help me? We are a company based in UAE who supply various metal analysers to various companys across the region. Now I have one client who wishes to purchase a machine which he can use to find out the inner diameters of a tube or a pipe. Does anyone know of such device? If so what is the manufacturers name? I would appreciate if someone could assist me.
: : Visit www.laser-NDT.com
: hi athram,
: we recently purchased a pulsed radiography system from vidisco, it had a function for measuring inside and outside pipe diameters (and therefore pipewall thickness) however scatter and radiographic unsharpness created some margin of error (we haven't looked in to how accurate it is yet!!.).
: there are some articles in the recent BINDT magazine about measuring pipe wall thickness using the same type of system.
: cheers,
: Nick
the use of radiography for pipe wall thickness is the best profile image one can get in NDT. It can provide diameter measurements as well. But bear in mind, the image is only representative of the real object size. In other words measurements taken on the image must be relatively calculated with a reference of a known size. a way of doing it is to measure the circumference of the object to give an accurate dimension of the external diameter which can be then be used in the calculation of the inner diameter plus wall thickness. A simpler way of course is to tape a ball bearing of known size to the pipe prior to radiography.

09:09 Feb-04-2008
Bill Kiesel

We have used a tool called a "magna mike" made by Panametrics to measure wall thickness on non-ferrous tubing. This device uses a ball bearing on the inside of the tube and a magnetic probe on the outside. The probe is strong enough to hold the ball in direct line with the probe end against the inside wall, using hall effect the probe measures that distance. moving the probe around the outside you can get an average wall thickness, multiply this by 2 and subtract from the outside diameter to get the inside diameter.

00:08 Feb-04-2008
chris s
: : Can someone please help me? We are a company based in UAE who supply various metal analysers to various companys across the region. Now I have one client who wishes to purchase a machine which he can use to find out the inner diameters of a tube or a pipe. Does anyone know of such device? If so what is the manufacturers name? I would appreciate if someone could assist me.
: Presumably you can use a device that measures wall
: thickness - taken at salient points around the
: circumference and subtract from measurements of the
: external diameter, which can be done with callipers
: or similar. Wall thickness measurement has been a
: frequent topic on this forum so I expect a search will
: reveal the right method for your particular pipes.
: Or am I being too simplistic?
: Robert

i agree

06:47 Feb-05-2008

Linas Svilainis

R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology,
Lithuania,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: how to measure the inner diameters of a tube/pipe Ultrasound Institute of Kaunas University of technology had developed such system for nucler reactors. her is their paper:
R. Kažys, L. Mažeika, R. Šliteris, A. Vladišauskas, A. Voleišis and K. Kundrotas. Ultrasonic measurement of zirconium tubes used in channel-type nuclear reactors. NDT & E International. February 1996. Vol.29, Issue 1. P.37-49.

And link to a brief device description:
http://www.ktu.lt/ultra/ultra2.asp?file=activity/indust11#RBMK

A set of ultrasonic transducers is rotated inside the tube so inner diameter profile is taken.

08:05 Feb-05-2008
Simon Amallraja

You need to fix LVDTs - Linear Variable Differential Transdusers - may be 4 nos in a O ring type fixture. With the use of SPC Software, you can precisely measure the inner diameter of any tube / pipe. You can accuracy to the 3 rd digit - depends on the LVDT resolution.

Simon

08:42 Feb-06-2008

Ahtram Qureshi

Sales
Sanco,
United Arab Emirates (UAE),
Joined Jan 2008
: You need to fix LVDTs - Linear Variable Differential Transdusers - may be 4 nos in a O ring type fixture. With the use of SPC Software, you can precisely measure the inner diameter of any tube / pipe. You can accuracy to the 3 rd digit - depends on the LVDT resolution.
: Simon

thank you everyone been a great help.

09:06 Feb-08-2008

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: how to measure the inner diameters of a tube/pipe You got a good number of answers and I could not go through all of them. So, if any of the points below are repetitions of what you already got, my apologies.

Tube ID can be measured by several means, mechanical and electronic.

Measurements at the ends and upto a few cms inside can be done using inside micrometers, both the True ID and Average ID type. True type have two legs and average type have three legs.

Air gages with again true and average heads can be used for tubes and pipes. We have used such equipment for tubes and pipes of 3 to 4 inches (75 to 100 mm ID) for lengths upto about 9 feet (3 meters).

An immersion tank based ultrasonic test system can measure the OD and Wall thickness and thus compute the Id of the tube or pipe. In such cases, length of the pipe is not a big limiting factor but strict control of temperature is needed for the water to minimise the error.

LVDT based approaches and laser based approaches have been already mentioned by others.

Best wishes.

Swamy

00:28 Feb-23-2008
jon
Re: how to measure the inner diameters of a tube/pipe why not use on radiography with reference radiographs of varying densities to determine wall thickness and work from there ?

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|