where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Roberto Falconio
Engineering, NDT/Metrology SUPERVISOR
El Salvador, Joined Feb 2000, 13

Roberto Falconio

Engineering, NDT/Metrology SUPERVISOR
El Salvador,
Joined Feb 2000
06:00 Jan-28-2008
AIRCRAFT X RAYS INSPECTIONS SAFETY

Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
Your opinion will be highly appreciated

Alisher Tadjiev
NDT Inspector
Uzbekistan Airways Technics, Uzbekistan, Joined Mar 2005, 8

Alisher Tadjiev

NDT Inspector
Uzbekistan Airways Technics,
Uzbekistan,
Joined Mar 2005
04:00 Jan-29-2008
Re: AIRCRAFT X RAYS INSPECTIONS SAFETY
Dear Sir. The situation with not authorized staff inside of X-Ray area always and everywere. It is depends of understanding of safety rules and health hazard of top level and suprvisors. You need to explain the hazard for all staff during annual continuation training (depends of organization rules) or make additional training for technitians and maintenance supervisors. Anyway usually we perform X-Ray at night shift to avoid smb. in work area.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
: Your opinion will be highly appreciated
------------ End Original Message ------------

Jiri Brus
Jiri Brus
07:28 Jan-29-2008
: Dear Sir. The situation with not authorized staff inside of X-Ray area always and everywere. It is depends of understanding of safety rules and health hazard of top level and suprvisors. You need to explain the hazard for all staff during annual continuation training (depends of organization rules) or make additional training for technitians and maintenance supervisors. Anyway usually we perform X-Ray at night shift to avoid smb. in work area.
: : Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
: : Your opinion will be highly appreciated

Dear NDT colegue.
I can see we solve problems with safety about X-rays, so I believe we are close to X-ray job in aircraft industry. I would like to ask you for advice and your recomendation.
What kind and type X-rays source is best for general using in aircraft industry ? We solve in many cases problems with the space for righ SFD. Sometimes - specialy inside aircraft - it is almost imposible to set up source on righ place. Thanks for any response.

Simon Amallraja
Simon Amallraja
07:44 Jan-29-2008
: Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test

visit www.vidisco.com. They manufacture portable Flat Panel X Ray System and they will be able to address your problem.

D.Simon Amallraja.

chris s
chris s
00:22 Jan-29-2008

one of the best thing i have seen for safty, is that all emploiees in the area are trained in radiaton safty. if after this any people cross the barriers, they are teriminated. we usually used a couple of tube when performing x-ray testing on aircraft. one 360, and one that is 360 and shoots back at an angle (there is a name for it, i just can't remember it.)

nick
nick
04:13 Feb-04-2008
: : Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
: : Your opinion will be highly appreciated
:
: one of the best thing i have seen for safty, is that all emploiees in the area are trained in radiaton safty. if after this any people cross the barriers, they are teriminated. we usually used a couple of tube when performing x-ray testing on aircraft. one 360, and one that is 360 and shoots back at an angle (there is a name for it, i just can't remember it.)

HEY,

yeah we operate on a same basis. anyone who crosses the bunting around a site x-ray faces immediate dissmissal. the rule has been enforced for the whole time i've worked at this particular site and we haven't had a problem. we're also VERY cautious with how we rope off our shots PLUS all shots are done at lunch or change of shift.

just on radiography..... has anyone used the inverse law calulator on www.ndtcalc.com? i think it's a new website but the exposure calculator is really good for visualising activity over distance. i sent them an email to put a calculator up that includes attenuation over distance! hope they do!

Jiri Brus
Jiri Brus
07:16 Feb-04-2008
Hello,

thank you for ndtcalc ! That is great ! What do you mean about X-ray versus Gama ray in aircraft industry ? May I use Gama instead X-ray when I have problem about space for X-ray source inside aircraft ? Unsharpnes of some fasteners is catastrophic ! I think using almost point Se source and accurate source position the result will be much better.

Product Spotlight

Panther

M2M PANTHER is a phased-array equipment designed for both desktop and industrial applications, offer
ing unparalleled performance in a compact unit. It combines the speed required for industrial integrated Phased-Array Ultrasound (PAUT) solutions, with the most complete set of total focusing method (TFM) imaging techniques, making it the ultimate tool for R&D and procedure qualification.
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window