where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
AIRCRAFT X RAYS INSPECTIONS SAFETY
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

STARMANS elctronics, s. r.o.
STARMANS is the Central European leading producer of industrial measuring, detecting and combined equipments for non-destructive testing

06:00 Jan-28-2008

Roberto Falconio

Engineering, NDT/Metrology SUPERVISOR
El Salvador,
Joined Feb 2000
AIRCRAFT X RAYS INSPECTIONS SAFETY

Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
Your opinion will be highly appreciated

04:00 Jan-29-2008

Alisher Tadjiev

NDT Inspector
Uzbekistan Airways Technics,
Uzbekistan,
Joined Mar 2005
Re: AIRCRAFT X RAYS INSPECTIONS SAFETY Dear Sir. The situation with not authorized staff inside of X-Ray area always and everywere. It is depends of understanding of safety rules and health hazard of top level and suprvisors. You need to explain the hazard for all staff during annual continuation training (depends of organization rules) or make additional training for technitians and maintenance supervisors. Anyway usually we perform X-Ray at night shift to avoid smb. in work area.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
: Your opinion will be highly appreciated
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:28 Jan-29-2008
Jiri Brus
Re: AIRCRAFT X RAYS INSPECTIONS SAFETY ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Sir. The situation with not authorized staff inside of X-Ray area always and everywere. It is depends of understanding of safety rules and health hazard of top level and suprvisors. You need to explain the hazard for all staff during annual continuation training (depends of organization rules) or make additional training for technitians and maintenance supervisors. Anyway usually we perform X-Ray at night shift to avoid smb. in work area.
: : Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
: : Your opinion will be highly appreciated

Dear NDT colegue.
I can see we solve problems with safety about X-rays, so I believe we are close to X-ray job in aircraft industry. I would like to ask you for advice and your recomendation.
What kind and type X-rays source is best for general using in aircraft industry ? We solve in many cases problems with the space for righ SFD. Sometimes - specialy inside aircraft - it is almost imposible to set up source on righ place. Thanks for any response.

07:44 Jan-29-2008
Simon Amallraja
Re: AIRCRAFT X RAYS INSPECTIONS SAFETY ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test

visit www.vidisco.com. They manufacture portable Flat Panel X Ray System and they will be able to address your problem.

D.Simon Amallraja.

00:22 Jan-29-2008
chris s

one of the best thing i have seen for safty, is that all emploiees in the area are trained in radiaton safty. if after this any people cross the barriers, they are teriminated. we usually used a couple of tube when performing x-ray testing on aircraft. one 360, and one that is 360 and shoots back at an angle (there is a name for it, i just can't remember it.)

04:13 Feb-04-2008
nick
: : Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
: : Your opinion will be highly appreciated
:
: one of the best thing i have seen for safty, is that all emploiees in the area are trained in radiaton safty. if after this any people cross the barriers, they are teriminated. we usually used a couple of tube when performing x-ray testing on aircraft. one 360, and one that is 360 and shoots back at an angle (there is a name for it, i just can't remember it.)

HEY,

yeah we operate on a same basis. anyone who crosses the bunting around a site x-ray faces immediate dissmissal. the rule has been enforced for the whole time i've worked at this particular site and we haven't had a problem. we're also VERY cautious with how we rope off our shots PLUS all shots are done at lunch or change of shift.

just on radiography..... has anyone used the inverse law calulator on www.ndtcalc.com? i think it's a new website but the exposure calculator is really good for visualising activity over distance. i sent them an email to put a calculator up that includes attenuation over distance! hope they do!

07:16 Feb-04-2008
Jiri Brus
Re: AIRCRAFT X RAYS INSPECTIONS SAFETY Hello,

thank you for ndtcalc ! That is great ! What do you mean about X-ray versus Gama ray in aircraft industry ? May I use Gama instead X-ray when I have problem about space for X-ray source inside aircraft ? Unsharpnes of some fasteners is catastrophic ! I think using almost point Se source and accurate source position the result will be much better.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|