where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Roberto Falconio
Engineering, NDT/Metrology SUPERVISOR
El Salvador, Joined Feb 2000, 13

Roberto Falconio

Engineering, NDT/Metrology SUPERVISOR
El Salvador,
Joined Feb 2000
06:00 Jan-28-2008
AIRCRAFT X RAYS INSPECTIONS SAFETY

Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
Your opinion will be highly appreciated

Alisher Tadjiev
NDT Inspector
Uzbekistan Airways Technics, Uzbekistan, Joined Mar 2005, 8

Alisher Tadjiev

NDT Inspector
Uzbekistan Airways Technics,
Uzbekistan,
Joined Mar 2005
04:00 Jan-29-2008
Re: AIRCRAFT X RAYS INSPECTIONS SAFETY
Dear Sir. The situation with not authorized staff inside of X-Ray area always and everywere. It is depends of understanding of safety rules and health hazard of top level and suprvisors. You need to explain the hazard for all staff during annual continuation training (depends of organization rules) or make additional training for technitians and maintenance supervisors. Anyway usually we perform X-Ray at night shift to avoid smb. in work area.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
: Your opinion will be highly appreciated
------------ End Original Message ------------

Jiri Brus
Jiri Brus
07:28 Jan-29-2008
: Dear Sir. The situation with not authorized staff inside of X-Ray area always and everywere. It is depends of understanding of safety rules and health hazard of top level and suprvisors. You need to explain the hazard for all staff during annual continuation training (depends of organization rules) or make additional training for technitians and maintenance supervisors. Anyway usually we perform X-Ray at night shift to avoid smb. in work area.
: : Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
: : Your opinion will be highly appreciated

Dear NDT colegue.
I can see we solve problems with safety about X-rays, so I believe we are close to X-ray job in aircraft industry. I would like to ask you for advice and your recomendation.
What kind and type X-rays source is best for general using in aircraft industry ? We solve in many cases problems with the space for righ SFD. Sometimes - specialy inside aircraft - it is almost imposible to set up source on righ place. Thanks for any response.

Simon Amallraja
Simon Amallraja
07:44 Jan-29-2008
: Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test

visit www.vidisco.com. They manufacture portable Flat Panel X Ray System and they will be able to address your problem.

D.Simon Amallraja.

chris s
chris s
00:22 Jan-29-2008

one of the best thing i have seen for safty, is that all emploiees in the area are trained in radiaton safty. if after this any people cross the barriers, they are teriminated. we usually used a couple of tube when performing x-ray testing on aircraft. one 360, and one that is 360 and shoots back at an angle (there is a name for it, i just can't remember it.)

nick
nick
04:13 Feb-04-2008
: : Hi, I'd like to get in touch with those guys that work in aviation maintenance or provide X rays Services to Aircraft. I just need to know your opinion about safety measures that you take when perfroming X rays on Hangars. Usually at our maintenance base we ask for a complete evacuation of the Hangar, sometimes this is not possible because of work load and reduced time to release aircraft, Even if we put several signals and lights or whatever theere is always someone that goes inside radiation area. Does it happens to you also or are there any aditional safetyconcern that you are taking when performing those test
: : Your opinion will be highly appreciated
:
: one of the best thing i have seen for safty, is that all emploiees in the area are trained in radiaton safty. if after this any people cross the barriers, they are teriminated. we usually used a couple of tube when performing x-ray testing on aircraft. one 360, and one that is 360 and shoots back at an angle (there is a name for it, i just can't remember it.)

HEY,

yeah we operate on a same basis. anyone who crosses the bunting around a site x-ray faces immediate dissmissal. the rule has been enforced for the whole time i've worked at this particular site and we haven't had a problem. we're also VERY cautious with how we rope off our shots PLUS all shots are done at lunch or change of shift.

just on radiography..... has anyone used the inverse law calulator on www.ndtcalc.com? i think it's a new website but the exposure calculator is really good for visualising activity over distance. i sent them an email to put a calculator up that includes attenuation over distance! hope they do!

Jiri Brus
Jiri Brus
07:16 Feb-04-2008
Hello,

thank you for ndtcalc ! That is great ! What do you mean about X-ray versus Gama ray in aircraft industry ? May I use Gama instead X-ray when I have problem about space for X-ray source inside aircraft ? Unsharpnes of some fasteners is catastrophic ! I think using almost point Se source and accurate source position the result will be much better.

Joel Nyaga
Joel Nyaga
07:23 Dec-19-2019
In Reply to Jiri Brus at 07:16 Feb-04-2008 .

As a piece of advice, do the tests at night shift when you have few people at the hangar. Radiation safety is about awareness of how much one can be exposed in a radiation zone based on the time spent. The job requires atleast two people, an operator and a radiation safety officer who monitors or surveys the area such that no illegal/accidental entry is made by other people into the barricaded/segregated/marked radiation zones. Incase of such, you switch off the radiating device until the area is clear. There are many lessons to learn before you are qualified for this.............

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 868

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
16:57 Dec-19-2019
In Reply to Joel Nyaga at 07:23 Dec-19-2019 .

Radiography work on aircraft is always a problem. Very often we are under the gun because of tight schedule and this is the time safety will take the back seat. Regardless, it is still a matter of health and safety. I suggest sitting down with your health and safety manager and expplain the situation. The importance is to educate other technicians of the dangers involved. One way is to find some pictures showing the consequence of radiation exposure. You also may want to increase the number of persons keeping an eye out for those who want to trespass.

The best time I had was when I was doing radiography in the Royal Canadian Air Force. We did our radiography at night, we use to block a bay on each side of the bay we where working in and put our barriers. If a person broken the barrier, regardless of rank, we took his name, number and forwarded the info to the Maintenance Officer. This resulted in a financial discipline.

M.Abbas
NDT Inspector,
AIT Maeen, Saudi Arabia, Joined Nov 2019, 1

M.Abbas

NDT Inspector,
AIT Maeen,
Saudi Arabia,
Joined Nov 2019
14:48 Dec-23-2019
In Reply to Roberto Falconio at 06:00 Jan-28-2008 (Opening).

Notice of alert for x-ray job should be issued by the maintenance department and they should be determine the start and end of time for it. then Radiation safety officer will do his job (open the work permit if available, barricaded the area, securing the area from the people not concerned, etc..)

J.B.
J.B.
17:05 Dec-23-2019
In Reply to Michel Couture at 16:57 Dec-19-2019 .

I wonder that you digged out such an old (11 Years old) posting. In the meantime some things have improved, as there are digital X-Ray machines with sources available, that have reduced the necessary radiation drastically. So with the right tube (mini to microfocus) you can even use it where in older times cut-out film was necessary. So request from the customer support of your aircraft manufacturer a procedure to use digital X-Ray.
Nevertheless in the past already lot of X-ray-procedures have been replaced by other methods as it is known at the airframers, that X-Ray is difficult to handle because of safety and because of regulations (everywhere there are different national rules, which are costly to deal with). Usually X-ray is preferred over gamma ray, as those sources are even more difficult to handle legally. so you find such applications only for military applications, where NDT is usually very centralized in a few locations.

By the way: The original post was done by someone new to aerospace business. Keep in mind, that usually the NTM - Non-destrutive Testing Manual of an Aircraft will give you adices what type of equipment you are allowed to use for the aircraft type you inspect. It is not wise just to post here such a question, as you are rather limited in what to use. The best is to contact the customer support of the airframe company/engine company to request an advice if you do not find the necessary information in the documentation.

Usually there are strict recommendations even about radiation safety, so you must follow the NTM as well the local laws and regulations, which are from country to country different.

Product Spotlight

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

PROlineTOP Plug & Play Ultrasonic inspection device

As Plug & Play solution it units all control and operation elements in a small housing and therefo
re replaces the typical control cabinet...
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window