where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Hoffelner Johann
Hoffelner Johann
09:37 Jan-17-2000
Sound speed of liquid zinc

Hi,
I am searching for the sound speed of liquid zinc. (Temperature
approx. 450°C) The density of the zinc at this temperature
is available (approx. 6557kg/m^3). So only the compression module
would be needed for the calculation of the soundspeed.
Further, how could I do the speed measurements myself?
I have a small steeltank, where I could melt the zinc. My problem
is the coupling to the tank without destroying the transducer.
Every idea is appreciated.
Thank yor for your answers.
Johann Hoffelner

Dave Stubbs
Dave Stubbs
06:30 Mar-27-2000
Re: Sound speed of liquid zinc
Mr. Hoffelner,
We have developed an ultrasonic transducer that operates without damage at temperatures as high as 900C. We have briefly tested the transducer in molten aluminum (up to 750C). Some information on the transducer can be found in the article at:
http:// www2.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM/9609/Stubbs-9609.html

: Hi,
: I am searching for the sound speed of liquid zinc. (Temperature
: approx. 450°C) The density of the zinc at this temperature
: is available (approx. 6557kg/m^3). So only the compression module
: would be needed for the calculation of the soundspeed.
: Further, how could I do the speed measurements myself?
: I have a small steeltank, where I could melt the zinc. My problem
: is the coupling to the tank without destroying the transducer.
: Every idea is appreciated.
: Thank yor for your answers.
: Johann Hoffelner

Product Spotlight

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window