where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Azhar
NDT Engineer
Panama, Joined May 2006, 17

Azhar

NDT Engineer
Panama,
Joined May 2006
00:17 Feb-17-2008
Information redarding Material

During the NDT inspection of a pump shaft key I rejected the key due to cracking. The material of the key was A276 - 316. Now to machine a new key material 316 is not available
My question is that can we use SS 316L, 304, or 304L instead of SS316 or what is the better alternate.

Thanks & Regards
Muhammad Azhar Jamil Khan

Collin Maloney
NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD, Australia, Joined Nov 2000, 147

Collin Maloney

NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD,
Australia,
Joined Nov 2000
06:19 Feb-23-2008
Re: Information redarding Material
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: During the NDT inspection of a pump shaft key I rejected the key due to cracking. The material of the key was A276 - 316. Now to machine a new key material 316 is not available
: My question is that can we use SS 316L, 304, or 304L instead of SS316 or what is the better alternate.
:
: Thanks & Regards
: Muhammad Azhar Jamil Khan
------------ End Original Message ------------

Azhar
The info you have quoted is for 316 S/Steel bar stock. I would suggest that you need to find out the shear strength for A276-316 and find a comparable material on that basis. I think that you will find that 316 plate is Ok!

Product Spotlight

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

High-performance Linear Phased Array Probes

Available to order from stock in a range of 5MHz – 7.5MHz and from 16 to 64 elements. Designed w
ith piezo-composite elements, Phoenix phased array probes provide high-resolution imaging to maximise sensitivity; accurate ultrasonic detection and sizing of defects in welds; and effective corrosion mapping. Housed in a rugged stainless steel case for on-site industrial NDT applications.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Sci Aps Z-Series Portable Handheld Analysers

The world’s only handheld analyzer that measures carbon content in stainless (yes even L-grades),s
teels, and cast irons. Also accepted for low Si analysis for sulfidic corrosion analysis, and is widely used in the power industry for Cr analysis, for flow accelerated corrosion applications.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window