where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Information redarding Material
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:17 Feb-17-2008

Azhar

NDT Engineer
Panama,
Joined May 2006
Information redarding Material

During the NDT inspection of a pump shaft key I rejected the key due to cracking. The material of the key was A276 - 316. Now to machine a new key material 316 is not available
My question is that can we use SS 316L, 304, or 304L instead of SS316 or what is the better alternate.

Thanks & Regards
Muhammad Azhar Jamil Khan

06:19 Feb-23-2008

Collin Maloney

NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD,
Australia,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: Information redarding Material ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: During the NDT inspection of a pump shaft key I rejected the key due to cracking. The material of the key was A276 - 316. Now to machine a new key material 316 is not available
: My question is that can we use SS 316L, 304, or 304L instead of SS316 or what is the better alternate.
:
: Thanks & Regards
: Muhammad Azhar Jamil Khan
------------ End Original Message ------------

Azhar
The info you have quoted is for 316 S/Steel bar stock. I would suggest that you need to find out the shear strength for A276-316 and find a comparable material on that basis. I think that you will find that 316 plate is Ok!

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|