where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments

Technical Discussions
Vaclav Stengl
Vaclav Stengl
07:08 Jan-24-2000
transducer - adjusting of tightness

Can somebody help me with where to find a how-to for adjusting the transducer voltage with a capacitor.

Robert (Rocky) A. Day
Engineering
Milky Way Jewels, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 40

Robert (Rocky) A. Day

Engineering
Milky Way Jewels,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
06:21 Jan-25-2000
Re: transducer - adjusting of tightness
You probably are thinking of impedance matching networks sometimes put between the transducer and the pulser. Their purpose is to match the impedance of the pulser to that of the transducer which will produce maximum energy transfer between them. The impedance of the amplifier is usually neglected because during the pulse the protective diodes are very low impedance. I do not have many references in my library but the basic principles of impedance are usually covered in basic electronics textbooks.

I have an old book by Warren P. Mason 'Physical Acoustics and the Properties of Solids' with the a section on this subject. Section 3.3 titled 'Equivalent Circuits of Piezoelectric Crystals and Their Applications to Obtaining Maximum Energy Transfer.' Although this book was published in 1958 this is a solid exposition on this subject.

To quote this text 'By adding electrical or mechanical elements it is often possible to make the circuits into the form of filter sections which can be designed to match the electrical and mechanical conditions at the driving and receiving end.' This approach is not popular in NDT because in general it is difficult to obtain broadband filters without the use of active components. I know of one or two manufacturers who have at least experimented with active filters but they have not caught on in the market.

You can do a search of JASA and similar journals and find some more articles on this subject. The ultrasonic cleaning, impact grinding, sonoluminescence, and sonochemistry fields do use such matching networks. So you might look for articles in those areas as well.

Or maybe I have misinterpreted what you are looking for?

: Can somebody help me with where to find a how-to for adjusting the transducer voltage with a capacitor.

Product Spotlight

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window