where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ACS-Solutions GmbH
develop and manufacture hi-tech devices for Ultrasonic Testing

Technical Discussions
balwinder singh
balwinder singh
02:32 Feb-21-2008
UT OF POWER PIPING

DEAR EXPERTS,

WE AHD COMPLETED A JOB WITH RT,NOW CLIENT ASKING FOR UT AT SITE &IF ANY FLAW FOUND THEY WANT TO RECTIFY AT OUR COST.

BUT AS PER MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THAT RT &UT RESULTS WILL NOT BE MATCH.

WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?

bob sudharmin
Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading, Malaysia, Joined Jan 2008, 54

bob sudharmin

Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
04:46 Feb-21-2008
Re: UT OF POWER PIPING
Flaws or cracks perpendicular to the surface cannot be detected by radiography, hence the follow up with ultrasonics flaw detection technique.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: DEAR EXPERTS,
: WE AHD COMPLETED A JOB WITH RT,NOW CLIENT ASKING FOR UT AT SITE &IF ANY FLAW FOUND THEY WANT TO RECTIFY AT OUR COST.
: BUT AS PER MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THAT RT &UT RESULTS WILL NOT BE MATCH.
: WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Ed T
Ed T
05:16 Feb-21-2008
Bob, I think you mean flaws or crack parrallel to the surface cannot be detected. Indications perpendicular to the surface are ideal for detection with RT and UT angle beam.
I dont really understand what your client is telling you. UT will probably show the flaws to be longer than RT would have. If your contract called for RT , then that is the acceptance criteria you have to go by. If they want to change the contract they should give you a change order and be prepared to pay for it.
: Flaws or cracks perpendicular to the surface cannot be detected by radiography, hence the follow up with ultrasonics flaw detection technique.
: : DEAR EXPERTS,
: : WE AHD COMPLETED A JOB WITH RT,NOW CLIENT ASKING FOR UT AT SITE &IF ANY FLAW FOUND THEY WANT TO RECTIFY AT OUR COST.
: : BUT AS PER MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THAT RT &UT RESULTS WILL NOT BE MATCH.
: : WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?

bob sudharmin
Shell Malaysia Trading, Malaysia, Joined Jan 2008, 54

bob sudharmin

Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
04:25 Feb-22-2008
My sincere apologies for the slip up. Yes, you are right.
What I actually meant was, flaws or cracks parallel to the surface cannot be detected by radiography, hence the follow up with UT.

: Bob, I think you mean flaws or crack parrallel to the surface cannot be detected. Indications perpendicular to the surface are ideal for detection with RT and UT angle beam.
: I dont really understand what your client is telling you. UT will probably show the flaws to be longer than RT would have. If your contract called for RT , then that is the acceptance criteria you have to go by. If they want to change the contract they should give you a change order and be prepared to pay for it.
: : Flaws or cracks perpendicular to the surface cannot be detected by radiography, hence the follow up with ultrasonics flaw detection technique.
: : : DEAR EXPERTS,
: : : WE AHD COMPLETED A JOB WITH RT,NOW CLIENT ASKING FOR UT AT SITE &IF ANY FLAW FOUND THEY WANT TO RECTIFY AT OUR COST.
: : : BUT AS PER MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THAT RT &UT RESULTS WILL NOT BE MATCH.
: : : WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?

theo micottis
theo micottis
07:10 Feb-22-2008
May be it was a misunderstanding about parallel and perpendicular.Cracks can be detected if they are parallel to the radiation beam so this means perpendicular to the surface

collin maloney
NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD, Australia, Joined Nov 2000, 147

collin maloney

NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD,
Australia,
Joined Nov 2000
04:45 Feb-25-2008
: DEAR EXPERTS,
: WE AHD COMPLETED A JOB WITH RT,NOW CLIENT ASKING FOR UT AT SITE &IF ANY FLAW FOUND THEY WANT TO RECTIFY AT OUR COST.
: BUT AS PER MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THAT RT &UT RESULTS WILL NOT BE MATCH.
: WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?

I think that I'm missing something here! is it not the clients responsibility to specify the inspection technique! Was there a client spec requireing both UT & RT?
Did the client approve the inspection procedures etc etc.
I cant see how you are responsible for the quality of the welding unless you did that too!

Product Spotlight

HD-CR 35 NDT Computed Radiography System

Portable high-resolution CR scanner for all radiography applications - weld testing, profile images
and aerospace. No matter what type of radiographic testing you are performing, the unique TreFoc Technology of the HD-CR 35 NDT imaging plate scanner always guarantees the highest image quality.
>

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window