where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT OF POWER PIPING
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Mammon Technologies LLP
1-Stop Shop for all your NDT Needs. Radiography, GPR, Thermography and acoustic devices. We sell worldwide. We train worldwide. We support worldwide.

02:32 Feb-21-2008
balwinder singh
UT OF POWER PIPING

DEAR EXPERTS,

WE AHD COMPLETED A JOB WITH RT,NOW CLIENT ASKING FOR UT AT SITE &IF ANY FLAW FOUND THEY WANT TO RECTIFY AT OUR COST.

BUT AS PER MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THAT RT &UT RESULTS WILL NOT BE MATCH.

WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?

04:46 Feb-21-2008

bob sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: UT OF POWER PIPING Flaws or cracks perpendicular to the surface cannot be detected by radiography, hence the follow up with ultrasonics flaw detection technique.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: DEAR EXPERTS,
: WE AHD COMPLETED A JOB WITH RT,NOW CLIENT ASKING FOR UT AT SITE &IF ANY FLAW FOUND THEY WANT TO RECTIFY AT OUR COST.
: BUT AS PER MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THAT RT &UT RESULTS WILL NOT BE MATCH.
: WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?
------------ End Original Message ------------

05:16 Feb-21-2008
Ed T
Re: UT OF POWER PIPING Bob, I think you mean flaws or crack parrallel to the surface cannot be detected. Indications perpendicular to the surface are ideal for detection with RT and UT angle beam.
I dont really understand what your client is telling you. UT will probably show the flaws to be longer than RT would have. If your contract called for RT , then that is the acceptance criteria you have to go by. If they want to change the contract they should give you a change order and be prepared to pay for it.
: Flaws or cracks perpendicular to the surface cannot be detected by radiography, hence the follow up with ultrasonics flaw detection technique.
: : DEAR EXPERTS,
: : WE AHD COMPLETED A JOB WITH RT,NOW CLIENT ASKING FOR UT AT SITE &IF ANY FLAW FOUND THEY WANT TO RECTIFY AT OUR COST.
: : BUT AS PER MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THAT RT &UT RESULTS WILL NOT BE MATCH.
: : WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?

04:25 Feb-22-2008

bob sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: UT OF POWER PIPING My sincere apologies for the slip up. Yes, you are right.
What I actually meant was, flaws or cracks parallel to the surface cannot be detected by radiography, hence the follow up with UT.

: Bob, I think you mean flaws or crack parrallel to the surface cannot be detected. Indications perpendicular to the surface are ideal for detection with RT and UT angle beam.
: I dont really understand what your client is telling you. UT will probably show the flaws to be longer than RT would have. If your contract called for RT , then that is the acceptance criteria you have to go by. If they want to change the contract they should give you a change order and be prepared to pay for it.
: : Flaws or cracks perpendicular to the surface cannot be detected by radiography, hence the follow up with ultrasonics flaw detection technique.
: : : DEAR EXPERTS,
: : : WE AHD COMPLETED A JOB WITH RT,NOW CLIENT ASKING FOR UT AT SITE &IF ANY FLAW FOUND THEY WANT TO RECTIFY AT OUR COST.
: : : BUT AS PER MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THAT RT &UT RESULTS WILL NOT BE MATCH.
: : : WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?

07:10 Feb-22-2008
theo micottis
Re: UT OF POWER PIPING May be it was a misunderstanding about parallel and perpendicular.Cracks can be detected if they are parallel to the radiation beam so this means perpendicular to the surface

04:45 Feb-25-2008

collin maloney

NDT Inspector, - Plant Inspector
Applus RTD,
Australia,
Joined Nov 2000
Re: UT OF POWER PIPING ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: DEAR EXPERTS,
: WE AHD COMPLETED A JOB WITH RT,NOW CLIENT ASKING FOR UT AT SITE &IF ANY FLAW FOUND THEY WANT TO RECTIFY AT OUR COST.
: BUT AS PER MY EXPERIENCE I THINK THAT RT &UT RESULTS WILL NOT BE MATCH.
: WILL YOU PLEASE EXPLAIN WHY?

I think that I'm missing something here! is it not the clients responsibility to specify the inspection technique! Was there a client spec requireing both UT & RT?
Did the client approve the inspection procedures etc etc.
I cant see how you are responsible for the quality of the welding unless you did that too!

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|