where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
cracks reveald by IR Termgraphy
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:17 Feb-25-2008

Ovidiu Iuga

NDT Inspector, thermography
ISCIR,
Romania,
Joined Dec 2005
cracks reveald by IR Termgraphy

Does anybody can advise me if using IR termography I can reveal/ detect a crack/cracks located in a welded seam of a insulated pressure vessel and if is a relaible and usual low cost method to to this. Does anyboby did that.
Regards and thanks in advance,

Ovidiu M. IUGA
ovidiu_iuga@zappmobile.ro
Cell: +40744-32-8894
Fax: +40318-15-4293

08:11 Feb-26-2008
azman
Re: cracks reveald by IR Termgraphy ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anybody can advise me if using IR termography I can reveal/ detect a crack/cracks located in a welded seam of a insulated pressure vessel and if is a relaible and usual low cost method to to this. Does anyboby did that.
: Regards and thanks in advance,
: Ovidiu M. IUGA
: ovidiu_iuga@zappmobile.ro
: Cell: +40744-32-8894
: Fax: +40318-15-4293
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi there

We have used IR on piping with insulation for more than 5 yrs now but so far fail to detect cracks unless those which result in leakage of process medium. The key to IR is temperature difference. Unless you have significant temp diference, you wont be able to detect with IR.

I have experience leakage of steam from steam trap linsulated line. By the time we see it through IR, we can already see condensate seeping out of the cladding. Another disadvantage of IR is heavy reflection on shiny cladding. We prefer to conduct IR at night to avoid reflections from the sun etc.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|