where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Underwater NDT
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:23 Feb-29-2008
Gisli Arnar Gudmundsson
Underwater NDT

How common is it in europe or USA to Measure thickness of Steel Sheet pile in harbour´s and is it done by diver or R.O.V.?

I have been trying to find something about this on the internet and the resaults haven´t been so good.

I am asking because it has never been done here in Iceland.

Thank´s

Gisli

08:52 Feb-29-2008
Simon Amallraja
Re: Underwater NDT ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: How common is it in europe or USA to Measure thickness of Steel Sheet pile in harbour´s and is it done by diver or R.O.V.?
: I have been trying to find something about this on the internet and the resaults haven´t been so good.
: I am asking because it has never been done here in Iceland.
: Thank´s
: Gisli
------------ End Original Message ------------

Force Technology of Denmark will help you. They have ROV type inspection for underwater applications.
www.forcetechnolgy.com

Simon

01:42 Feb-29-2008

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Underwater NDT We have provided waterproof transducers and cables from the Panametrics-NDT product line for underwater inspection at depths greater than 50 meters. In most cases these applications have involved relatively shallow depths (tens of meters), with a diver manipulating the transducer while an observer on a dock or boat or oil platform monitors the instrument.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: How common is it in europe or USA to Measure thickness of Steel Sheet pile in harbour´s and is it done by diver or R.O.V.?
: I have been trying to find something about this on the internet and the resaults haven´t been so good.

03:48 Feb-29-2008

Peter Simpson

Director,
Ashtead Technology Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Underwater NDT
There are two underwater ultrasonic thickness gauges available from Cygnus Instruments that can be used by ROV or Diver. Either system are available for rental from Ashtead Technology Ltd.

Best Regards

Peter

: We have provided waterproof transducers and cables from the Panametrics-NDT product line for underwater inspection at depths greater than 50 meters. In most cases these applications have involved relatively shallow depths (tens of meters), with a diver manipulating the transducer while an observer on a dock or boat or oil platform monitors the instrument.
:
: : How common is it in europe or USA to Measure thickness of Steel Sheet pile in harbour´s and is it done by diver or R.O.V.?
: : I have been trying to find something about this on the internet and the resaults haven´t been so good.
: : I am asking because it has never been done here in Iceland.
: : Thank´s
: : Gisli

00:41 Mar-01-2008

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Underwater NDT If , as I would interpret the question, this is stanadrd interlocking steel piling then an ROV seems a bit excessive - Should be easy enough with a diver and a thickness gauge- Can be done either two-man with a long cable or using a submersible gauge - Our basic gauges (Sonagage III, Steelgage II or T-Gage IV, ) with a UMX enclosure would do the job, The Cygnus underwater gauges also seem to be well regarded.

Joe

02:06 Mar-03-2008
Gisli A. Gudmundsson
Re: Underwater NDT Thanks guys for quick response.

Greetings from Iceland

00:47 Mar-12-2008
Riccardo scottini
Re: Underwater NDT Dear Gisli,

RTD-INCOTEST could be a solution for your purposes.

INCOTEST is a Pulsed Eddy Current equipment designed for corrosion detection and monitoring through insulation, therefore it does not need a direct contact with the object under examination.

We regularly use it to inspect and monitor Steel Sheet Piling conditions. It is efficient also in detecting Accelerated Low Water Corrosion in steel sheet piling, commonly used in harbours, Quay's, canals and dikes. ALWC can have a growth rate of 1 mm per year!

Operation normally with divers or Stick, sometime with ROV which are preferred when the inspection depth is more than 30m (example non piggable subsea pipelines in the North sea at approx. 140~160m depth), it does not need special surface cleaning and preparation, therefore it may detect corrosion trough coatings, concrete and marine growth.

For more information please contact me.
Regards,
Riccardo Scottini

14:54 Feb-24-2015

andrea Bellizzi

Director,
Italy,
Joined Feb 2015
Re: Underwater NDT In Reply to Riccardo scottini at 00:47 Mar-12-2008 .

Hi Riccardo,
may I have your contact mail or phone we are interesing in Pulse Eddy Current tecnology

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|