Re: Railways axis reply by Udo Schlengermann (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Some information on ultrasonic testing of railway axles: It makes a big difference - wether you have to test new axles for internal defects - or wether you have to make an inservice inspection looking for cracks.
For the second kind of inspection you need information on the axle type and shape, and where cracks are to be expected (under wheels or bearings, or braking discs). It makes a difference wether axles are used on traction vehicles or on rolling wheelsets. Most specifications for ultrasonic inservice inspection of axles are published by national railway companies.
For testing new axles there are a lot of internationally used specifications, e.g.
- ISO 1005-3 Railway rolling stock material - Axles for tractive and trailing stock - Quality requirements.
- ISO 5948 Railway rolling stock material - Ultrasonic acceptance testing.
- EN 13261 (draft) Railways - Wheelsets and bogies - Axles - Product requirements.
- AAR Manual of standards and recommended practices, (M10) chapter 18: Inspection
- ASTM A21 Standard specification for standard steel axles, non-heat treated and heat treated for railway use
Kind regards Udo Schlengermann ++++++++++++++++
: Dear Friends:
: I'd wish you to send me some information or recomendation about Ultrasonic and magnetic particles Testings applied to Railway-Axis inspection. : : Best regards : Mario Belo
some days ago i buy used equipment for ultrasonic testing of railways axis ( Krautkrämer probes with test block for just.etc ). Now i want to sell it, if you are interessted in buying the equipment,...no problem....at first please contact me....i will sent some pics via Mail !