where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Mario Belo
NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires, Argentina, Joined Jan 2000, 7

Mario Belo

NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires,
Argentina,
Joined Jan 2000
02:45 Jan-31-2000
Railways axis

Dear Friends:

I'd wish you to send me some information or recomendation about Ultrasonic and magnetic particles Testings applied to Railway-Axis inspection.

Best regards
Mario Belo

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 176

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
02:16 Feb-01-2000
Re: Railways axis
reply by Udo Schlengermann
(uschlengermann@krautkramer.de)

Some information on ultrasonic testing of railway axles:
It makes a big difference
- wether you have to test new axles for internal defects
- or wether you have to make an inservice inspection looking for cracks.

For the second kind of inspection you need information on the axle type and shape, and where cracks are to be expected (under wheels or bearings,
or braking discs). It makes a difference wether axles are used on traction vehicles or on rolling wheelsets.
Most specifications for ultrasonic inservice inspection of axles are published by national railway companies.

For testing new axles there are a lot of internationally used specifications, e.g.

- ISO 1005-3
Railway rolling stock material - Axles for tractive and trailing stock - Quality requirements.

- ISO 5948
Railway rolling stock material - Ultrasonic acceptance testing.

- EN 13261 (draft)
Railways - Wheelsets and bogies - Axles - Product requirements.

- AAR
Manual of standards and recommended practices, (M10) chapter 18: Inspection

- ASTM A21
Standard specification for standard steel axles, non-heat treated and heat treated for railway use

Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann
++++++++++++++++

: Dear Friends:

: I'd wish you to send me some information or recomendation about Ultrasonic and magnetic particles Testings applied to Railway-Axis inspection.
:
: Best regards
: Mario Belo

Christoph Schnitger
Christoph Schnitger
09:32 Feb-02-2000
Re: Railways axis
Hello Mario,

some days ago i buy used equipment for ultrasonic testing of railways axis ( Krautkrämer probes with
test block for just.etc ).
Now i want to sell it, if you are interessted in buying the equipment,...no problem....at first please
contact me....i will sent some pics via Mail !

Do not hesitate to contact me !
C.Schnitger

Product Spotlight

Trade-In Offer

We are offering our existing clients trade-in against Wavemaker® G3 systems, Standard (Blue) inflat
able rings and modules for excellent deals on the latest Wavemaker® G4mini system.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

FMC/TFM

Next generation for Phased Array UT is here now with FMC/TFM! Have higher resolution imaging, impr
oved signal to noise ratio, characterize, size and analyze defects better with access to several wave mode views and save raw FMC data for higher quality analysis.  Some of the benefits are:
  • Beautiful Image! Easier to understand what you're looking at
  • Completely focused in entire image or volume
  • Much easier to define setups before inspection
  • Easier to decipher geometry echoes from real defects
  • Oriented defects (e.g. cracks) are imaged better
  • See image from different wave modes from one FMC inspection
  • FMC data can be reprocessed/analyzed without going back to the field
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window