where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Railways axis
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Eddyfi
Pursuing and developing eddy current array (ECA) technology to its full potential.

02:45 Jan-31-2000

Mario Belo

NDT Inspection
Trenes Buenos Aires,
Argentina,
Joined Jan 2000
Railways axis

Dear Friends:

I'd wish you to send me some information or recomendation about Ultrasonic and magnetic particles Testings applied to Railway-Axis inspection.

Best regards
Mario Belo

02:16 Feb-01-2000

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Railways axis reply by Udo Schlengermann
(uschlengermann@krautkramer.de)

Some information on ultrasonic testing of railway axles:
It makes a big difference
- wether you have to test new axles for internal defects
- or wether you have to make an inservice inspection looking for cracks.

For the second kind of inspection you need information on the axle type and shape, and where cracks are to be expected (under wheels or bearings,
or braking discs). It makes a difference wether axles are used on traction vehicles or on rolling wheelsets.
Most specifications for ultrasonic inservice inspection of axles are published by national railway companies.

For testing new axles there are a lot of internationally used specifications, e.g.

- ISO 1005-3
Railway rolling stock material - Axles for tractive and trailing stock - Quality requirements.

- ISO 5948
Railway rolling stock material - Ultrasonic acceptance testing.

- EN 13261 (draft)
Railways - Wheelsets and bogies - Axles - Product requirements.

- AAR
Manual of standards and recommended practices, (M10) chapter 18: Inspection

- ASTM A21
Standard specification for standard steel axles, non-heat treated and heat treated for railway use

Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann
++++++++++++++++

: Dear Friends:

: I'd wish you to send me some information or recomendation about Ultrasonic and magnetic particles Testings applied to Railway-Axis inspection.
:
: Best regards
: Mario Belo

09:32 Feb-02-2000
Christoph Schnitger
Re: Railways axis Hello Mario,

some days ago i buy used equipment for ultrasonic testing of railways axis ( Krautkrämer probes with
test block for just.etc ).
Now i want to sell it, if you are interessted in buying the equipment,...no problem....at first please
contact me....i will sent some pics via Mail !

Do not hesitate to contact me !
C.Schnitger

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|