where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT/ UT
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

GE Inspection Technologies GmbH
offers equipment, systems and expertise based on ultrasonics, radiography, eddy curreent and remote visual inspection.

08:22 Mar-18-2008
erman katurman
NDT/ UT

I can not give a decision about which flaw detector should i buy for my company, USM 35X S or DIO-562 LC? I , definetly, know that USM 35X S is better than the other one but the question is " Does it worth?". I mean, while USM 35X S costs something about 14000 Eu, DIO-562 LC costs just the half of it, something about 6100 EU.

Thank You

02:12 Mar-18-2008

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: NDT/ UT ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I can not give a decision about which flaw detector should i buy for my company, USM 35X S or DIO-562 LC? I , definetly, know that USM 35X S is better than the other one but the question is " Does it worth?". I mean, while USM 35X S costs something about 14000 Eu, DIO-562 LC costs just the half of it, something about 6100 EU.
: Thank You
------------ End Original Message ------------

The UT instrument to be bought needs to be decided based on several factors including range, power, frequency, linearity, resolution, probes offered and service availability.

Large and established organisations have large overheads too but will support the products better.

Pl. understand that I don't represent any manufacturer.

02:38 Mar-18-2008

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: NDT/ UT As somebody who does represent a UT manufacturer I would agree entirely - The reason that there are still a lot of companies in business, and that one 'best' company does not particularly dominate is that customers have different needs.

Certainly do not look just at GE and Starmans, consider also ourselves (Sonatest) , Olympus and other companies that are active in your market.

A UT instrument is a fairly sizable investment - you need to make sure that you get the best value for yourself.
key things to consider:

+Instrument technical performance, although if you avoid the cheapest kit, and are not working in very demanding applications, this is much less of an issue than it used to be. All the major manufacturers equipment works well.

+ Backup from manufacturer and local dealer.

+Ease of use - Who will use it and how often. Any instrument is fine if you use it everyday, Once a month is a different matter. (This is an area we're good at, so of course I emphasise it...)

+ Reliability / robustness. Equiment from the better manufacturers should still be working fine after five or more years of typical use. If you are buying the equipment for a specific job, or if its just used in a lab, this is much less of an issue.

As they say, you pays your money and you takes your choice...
Good luck with it

Joe

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I can not give a decision about which flaw detector should i buy for my company, USM 35X S or DIO-562 LC? I , definetly, know that USM 35X S is better than the other one but the question is " Does it worth?". I mean, while USM 35X S costs something about 14000 Eu, DIO-562 LC costs just the half of it, something about 6100 EU.
: : Thank You
:
: The UT instrument to be bought needs to be decided based on several factors including range, power, frequency, linearity, resolution, probes offered and service availability.
: Large and established organisations have large overheads too but will support the products better.
: Pl. understand that I don't represent any manufacturer.

03:59 Mar-18-2008

Roberto Falconio

Engineering, NDT/Metrology SUPERVISOR
El Salvador,
Joined Feb 2000
Re: NDT/ UT Hi Erman,
In my opinion you must balance the budget you have for the aqcuisition of an UT equipment with the applications your company is perfroming. Also an important factor is how confortable will the operator be with the equipment operation? I mean will it be friendly to use? if you have to work on higher places will it be easy to handle for example at 30 to 50 m?
You must look forward that it provides you good results in your inspection, you can ask for a demostration of the equipments also, I can't tell you anything about the DIO, I'm not quite familiar with it, but USM is a very nice piece of equipment and it worths! But if you don't have enough budget to have it, you will have to look forward the DIO
Good luck and best regards

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I can not give a decision about which flaw detector should i buy for my company, USM 35X S or DIO-562 LC? I , definetly, know that USM 35X S is better than the other one but the question is " Does it worth?". Imean, while USM 35X S costs something about 14000 Eu, DIO-562 LC costs just the half of it, something about 6100 EU.
: Thank You

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|