where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Vallen-Systeme GmbH
The Acoustic Emission Company! Since 1987 Vallen stands for competence and continuity in AE and for reliable business cooperation and support.

Technical Discussions
George Kim
George Kim
08:08 Mar-18-2008
technical question for specific application

I would like to know if there is an NDT technology that may be able to address a client’s need. The need is to determine the quality of a fused non-magnetic metal coating on a non-magnetic metal substrate. The deposit is sprayed onto the surface (200 to 500 micrometers thick) via thermal spray and fused to form a metallurgical bond by placing the coating/substrate system into a high temperature furnace. The coating is applied onto the ball component (1"OD to 16"OD) of ball valves and hence consists of a sphere with a bore that runs through it. The coating thickness may vary with each part. The client is seeking a means of determining whether there are any hidden flaws, i.e., cracks, pores, insufficient fusion, etc., within the coated parts.

Thank you.

Michel
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 827

Michel

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
07:23 Mar-19-2008
Re: technical question for specific application
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I would like to know if there is an NDT technology that may be able to address a client’s need. The need is to determine the quality of a fused non-magnetic metal coating on a non-magnetic metal substrate. The deposit is sprayed onto the surface (200 to 500 micrometers thick) via thermal spray and fused to form a metallurgical bond by placing the coating/substrate system into a high temperature furnace. The coating is applied onto the ball component (1"OD to 16"OD) of ball valves and hence consists of a sphere with a bore that runs through it. The coating thickness may vary with each part. The client is seeking a means of determining whether there are any hidden flaws, i.e., cracks, pores, insufficient fusion, etc., within the coated parts.
:
: Thank you.

Hi Georges,

At first, I was going to suggest doing UT in immersion. But your coating is so thin, I don't think you could differentiate with the base metal. Since the coating and base metal are nonmagnetic, I would try Eddy Current. I remember doing thickness inspection on Learjet aircraft with this method. In my situation, I had 3 calibration piece of different thicknesses and I would set my instrument at the frequency, gain and phase angle which provided me with the best separation. In your situation, crack and pores maybe detectable, but I'm not so sure about the fusion. You may still have to test for this using UT?

Hope this may be of help to you, Cheerios!!!

Michel

End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Panther

The Panther product range combines speed and performance of phased- array ultrasound technology in
a compact format. Targeted towards integrators for inline inspections and laboratories for R&D, Panter products offer a flexible and scalable solution for generic and custom NDT.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

FlexoFORM™

The FlexoFORM™ solution integrates flexible phased array probe technology in a scanner to solv
e the challenges that come with inspecting pipe elbows. When combined with a water column, this solution can be used to collect easy-to-interpret data on elbows with diameters ranging from 4.5 in. OD up to flat and offers many benefits.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window