where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
George Kim
George Kim
06:27 Mar-19-2008
NDT for weldings and brazings

Which of the NDT technologies should one consider for detecting flaws (i.e., pores, cracks, debonding) in weldings and brazings?

Michel
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 856

Michel

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
07:34 Mar-19-2008
Re: NDT for weldings and brazings
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Which of the NDT technologies should one consider for detecting flaws (i.e., pores, cracks, debonding) in weldings and brazings?
------------ End Original Message ------------

HI George,

With the limited information you are providing, it is difficult to provide an answer that will meet your specific situation. You don't specify a code, where is this testing should take place, part geometry and thickness, etc... Inspecting weld for pores and crack may be easely done with radiography, but it will not find disbond. If the surface is smooth, maybe UT with a Bondtester would be your answer. Those are my suggestions with the info you have provided.

Cheerios,

Michel

George Kim
George Kim
01:51 Mar-19-2008
Re: NDT for weldings and brazings
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Which of the NDT technologies should one consider for detecting flaws (i.e., pores, cracks, debonding) in weldings and brazings?
: HI George,
: With the limited information you are providing, it is difficult to provide an answer that will meet your specific situation. You don't specify a code, where is this testing should take place, part geometry and thickness, etc... Inspecting weld for pores and crack may be easely done with radiography, but it will not find disbond. If the surface is smooth, maybe UT with a Bondtester would be your answer. Those are my suggestions with the info you have provided.
: Cheerios,
: Michel
------------ End Original Message ------------
Hi Michel:

Thank you so much for this response as well as for the previous one. They are linked and as such, I believe you have answered my question. My "weld" was the thin coating from the previous message where you suggested exploring the eddy current route.

Take care,
George

Product Spotlight

NEOS III

NEOS III is Logos Imagings lightest DR system. With a built-in battery and internal wireless commu
nication, the NEOS III is perfect for users that want to quickly assess an item.
>

Varex Imaging Large Field of View (FOV) Digital Detector Arrays (DDAs)

A larger FOV DDA can reduce the space and volume of the X-ray inspection system on the factory floor
, enable faster scanning times, better throughput and better resolution images at a lower dose. Customers can also save time and money. With these benefits in mind, Varex Imaging has designed a family of large FOV detectors (4343HE, XRD 1611, 4343DX-I, 4343CT) for our industrial imaging customers.
>

Silverwing RMS PA - Phased-array corrosion mapping

Eddyfi Technologies integrated two market leading solutions, Silverwing’s RMS and M2M’s instru
ments to provide a high-speed, remote access ultrasonic phased-array inspection system with live total focusing method (TFM).
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window