where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDT for weldings and brazings
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:27 Mar-19-2008
George Kim
NDT for weldings and brazings

Which of the NDT technologies should one consider for detecting flaws (i.e., pores, cracks, debonding) in weldings and brazings?

07:34 Mar-19-2008

Michel

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: NDT for weldings and brazings ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Which of the NDT technologies should one consider for detecting flaws (i.e., pores, cracks, debonding) in weldings and brazings?
------------ End Original Message ------------

HI George,

With the limited information you are providing, it is difficult to provide an answer that will meet your specific situation. You don't specify a code, where is this testing should take place, part geometry and thickness, etc... Inspecting weld for pores and crack may be easely done with radiography, but it will not find disbond. If the surface is smooth, maybe UT with a Bondtester would be your answer. Those are my suggestions with the info you have provided.

Cheerios,

Michel

01:51 Mar-19-2008
George Kim
Re: NDT for weldings and brazings ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Which of the NDT technologies should one consider for detecting flaws (i.e., pores, cracks, debonding) in weldings and brazings?
: HI George,
: With the limited information you are providing, it is difficult to provide an answer that will meet your specific situation. You don't specify a code, where is this testing should take place, part geometry and thickness, etc... Inspecting weld for pores and crack may be easely done with radiography, but it will not find disbond. If the surface is smooth, maybe UT with a Bondtester would be your answer. Those are my suggestions with the info you have provided.
: Cheerios,
: Michel
------------ End Original Message ------------
Hi Michel:

Thank you so much for this response as well as for the previous one. They are linked and as such, I believe you have answered my question. My "weld" was the thin coating from the previous message where you suggested exploring the eddy current route.

Take care,
George

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|