where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

FI Test- und Messtechnik GmbH
a small high-tech company. We are focused on non-destructive measurement.

Technical Discussions
George Kim
George Kim
06:27 Mar-19-2008
NDT for weldings and brazings

Which of the NDT technologies should one consider for detecting flaws (i.e., pores, cracks, debonding) in weldings and brazings?

Michel
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 826

Michel

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
07:34 Mar-19-2008
Re: NDT for weldings and brazings
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Which of the NDT technologies should one consider for detecting flaws (i.e., pores, cracks, debonding) in weldings and brazings?
------------ End Original Message ------------

HI George,

With the limited information you are providing, it is difficult to provide an answer that will meet your specific situation. You don't specify a code, where is this testing should take place, part geometry and thickness, etc... Inspecting weld for pores and crack may be easely done with radiography, but it will not find disbond. If the surface is smooth, maybe UT with a Bondtester would be your answer. Those are my suggestions with the info you have provided.

Cheerios,

Michel

George Kim
George Kim
01:51 Mar-19-2008
Re: NDT for weldings and brazings
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Which of the NDT technologies should one consider for detecting flaws (i.e., pores, cracks, debonding) in weldings and brazings?
: HI George,
: With the limited information you are providing, it is difficult to provide an answer that will meet your specific situation. You don't specify a code, where is this testing should take place, part geometry and thickness, etc... Inspecting weld for pores and crack may be easely done with radiography, but it will not find disbond. If the surface is smooth, maybe UT with a Bondtester would be your answer. Those are my suggestions with the info you have provided.
: Cheerios,
: Michel
------------ End Original Message ------------
Hi Michel:

Thank you so much for this response as well as for the previous one. They are linked and as such, I believe you have answered my question. My "weld" was the thin coating from the previous message where you suggested exploring the eddy current route.

Take care,
George

Product Spotlight

MUSE Mobile Ultrasonic Equipment

The MUSE, a portable ultrasonic imaging system, was developed for in-field inspections of light-weig
ht structures. The MUSE consists of a motor-driven manipulator, a water circulation system for the acoustic coupling and a portable ultrasonic flaw detector (USPC 3010). The MUSE provides images of internal defects (A-, B-,C- and D-scan).
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window