where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Jean-Claude Schwartz
Jean-Claude Schwartz
06:18 Mar-20-2008
UV - Black light Safety Glasses

We are looking to replace our UV Black light Safety glasses.
We use Labino lamps which can produce 8,500 µw/cm2 and therefore consider these glasses very important from a safety point of view.
Having contacted several companies regarding the supply of glasses (for a wavelength range of 245-365nm) there appears to be a grey area with regards to which glasses are best suited.
Does anyone have any experience regarding this or perhaps some proposals as to the best type of glasses available on the market

Michel
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 850

Michel

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
00:20 Mar-21-2008
Re: UV - Black light Safety Glasses
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We are looking to replace our UV Black light Safety glasses.
: We use Labino lamps which can produce 8,500 µw/cm2 and therefore consider these glasses very important from a safety point of view.
: Having contacted several companies regarding the supply of glasses (for a wavelength range of 245-365nm) there appears to be a grey area with regards to which glasses are best suited.
: Does anyone have any experience regarding this or perhaps some proposals as to the best type of glasses available on the market
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi Jean-Claude,

I'm not sure to what you are getting at! My safety glasses are UV filtered. It can be done when you order your prescription glasses from an eye clinic. I've tested them by placing them between a black light and a light meter. The meter rear zero. So it's a good way to see if you got what you paid for.

As for the Labino, I think you are confusing the wavelength of the black light with the intensity of the light itself. The UV protection in glasses is to cut out the UV radiation, it will not cut down the intensity of the light.

I don't know if it still holds true, I had my PT-MT courses 17 years ago but I was told then that black light are only dangerous if you stare into them and only if the filter is cracked. Otherwise all you will experience is a little discomfort because of the way the UV radiation interact with the liquid inside your eye.

Having said all that; should you wear UV filtered eye protection? Yes. But will the Labino lamp react any differently than the black light that are currently in use at most places still? No.

In closing, remember that UV radiation is radiation and will behave in the same way as any other radiation (X-ray and gamma). Its intensity will decrease to the square of the distance. Speaking of safety, if you work with someone else, it should be mentionned during your prejob briefing. Not to point these lamp in the others face.

Cheerios,
Michel

Product Spotlight

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

GUL QSR1® Scanning

How do you measure pipe wall thickness without direct access to the area? QSR® Scanning - Guide Wav
e Quantitative Short Range Scanning.
>

TESTD-PT SYSTEM

Pulse thermography is a non-contact test method that is ideal for the characterization of thin fil
ms and coatings or the detection of defects. With a remarquable short test time and a high detection sensitivity, the Telops TESTD-PT is the perfect tool for non- destructive testing. With such high frame rates, it is even possible to investigate highly conductive or diffusive materials.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window