where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UV - Black light Safety Glasses
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

06:18 Mar-20-2008
Jean-Claude Schwartz
UV - Black light Safety Glasses

We are looking to replace our UV Black light Safety glasses.
We use Labino lamps which can produce 8,500 µw/cm2 and therefore consider these glasses very important from a safety point of view.
Having contacted several companies regarding the supply of glasses (for a wavelength range of 245-365nm) there appears to be a grey area with regards to which glasses are best suited.
Does anyone have any experience regarding this or perhaps some proposals as to the best type of glasses available on the market

00:20 Mar-21-2008

Michel

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: UV - Black light Safety Glasses ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We are looking to replace our UV Black light Safety glasses.
: We use Labino lamps which can produce 8,500 µw/cm2 and therefore consider these glasses very important from a safety point of view.
: Having contacted several companies regarding the supply of glasses (for a wavelength range of 245-365nm) there appears to be a grey area with regards to which glasses are best suited.
: Does anyone have any experience regarding this or perhaps some proposals as to the best type of glasses available on the market
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi Jean-Claude,

I'm not sure to what you are getting at! My safety glasses are UV filtered. It can be done when you order your prescription glasses from an eye clinic. I've tested them by placing them between a black light and a light meter. The meter rear zero. So it's a good way to see if you got what you paid for.

As for the Labino, I think you are confusing the wavelength of the black light with the intensity of the light itself. The UV protection in glasses is to cut out the UV radiation, it will not cut down the intensity of the light.

I don't know if it still holds true, I had my PT-MT courses 17 years ago but I was told then that black light are only dangerous if you stare into them and only if the filter is cracked. Otherwise all you will experience is a little discomfort because of the way the UV radiation interact with the liquid inside your eye.

Having said all that; should you wear UV filtered eye protection? Yes. But will the Labino lamp react any differently than the black light that are currently in use at most places still? No.

In closing, remember that UV radiation is radiation and will behave in the same way as any other radiation (X-ray and gamma). Its intensity will decrease to the square of the distance. Speaking of safety, if you work with someone else, it should be mentionned during your prejob briefing. Not to point these lamp in the others face.

Cheerios,
Michel

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|