where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Flat bottomed v side drilled
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Phoenix Inspection Systems Limited
Design and manufacture ultrasonic Transducers, Scanners and Custom Solutions for NDT inspections. Innovators in NDT technology

06:49 Mar-25-2008

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
Flat bottomed v side drilled

I am trying to dig up some information comparing the responses of side-drilled and flat-bottomed hole standards. At the moment, I am looking for comparisons of different diameter side-drilled hole amplitudes. I know I can do this experimentally, but it benefits me most in my discussions if I have something in hand that is published already.
Thanks in advance for anyone that can share this information!

07:46 Mar-25-2008
Simon Amallraja
Re: Flat bottomed v side drilled ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am trying to dig up some information comparing the responses of side-drilled and flat-bottomed hole standards. At the moment, I am looking for comparisons of different diameter side-drilled hole amplitudes. I know I can do this experimentally, but it benefits me most in my discussions if I have something in hand that is published already.
: Thanks in advance for anyone that can share this information!
------------ End Original Message ------------

Contact PH Tools, USA. You will get what you need for your work. www.phtools.com and contact Mr. Phil Herman

Simon

03:48 Mar-25-2008

Joe Buckley

Consultant, ASNT L-III, Honorary Secretary of BINDT
Level X NDT, BINDT,
United Kingdom,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Flat bottomed v side drilled Look up Ed's Article on the Ermolov equations:

http://www.ndt.net/article/v07n01/ginzel/ginzel.htm

One of the highlights of the site IMHO

Joe

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : I am trying to dig up some information comparing the responses of side-drilled and flat-bottomed hole standards. At the moment, I am looking for comparisons of different diameter side-drilled hole amplitudes. I know I can do this experimentally, but it benefits me most in my discussions if I have something in hand that is published already.
: : Thanks in advance for anyone that can share this information!
: Contact PH Tools, USA. You will get what you need for your work. www.phtools.com and contact Mr. Phil Herman
: Simon

04:50 Mar-26-2008

Hermann Wüstenberg

R & D
BAM Berlin,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Flat bottomed v side drilled ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Look up Ed's Article on the Ermolov equations:
: http://www.ndt.net/article/v07n01/ginzel/ginzel.htm
: One of the highlights of the site IMHO
: Joe
:
: : : I am trying to dig up some information comparing the responses of side-drilled and flat-bottomed hole standards. At the moment, I am looking for comparisons of different diameter side-drilled hole amplitudes. I know I can do this experimentally, but it benefits me most in my discussions if I have something in hand that is published already.
: : : Thanks in advance for anyone that can share this information!
: : Contact PH Tools, USA. You will get what you need for your work. www.phtools.com and contact Mr. Phil Herman
: : Simon

The relationship between flat-bottomed hole and side drilled hole has been intensively discussed in the 70th of the last century by the Subcommission Vc (Ultrasonic inspection of welds) of the IIW (International Institute of Welding) and ended up with the introduction of a simple formula in EN standards determining the diameter of a flat bottomed hole in dependence from the diameter of a side drilled hole for the same distance, wavelength and amplitude. You may find this formula within the EN standard:
BSI BS EN 583-2 Document Information:
Title
Non-Destructive Testing - Ultrasonic Examination - Part 2: Sensitivity and Range Setting
Zerstoerungsfreie Pruefung. Ultraschallpruefung. Empfindlichkeits und Entfernungsjustierung
Essais non destructifs. Controle ultrasonore. Reglage de la sensibilite et de la base de temps
H. Wüstenberg

11:19 Jun-07-2014
n.v.suryanarayana.surla
Re: Flat bottomed v side drilled In Reply to Joe Buckley at 03:48 Mar-25-2008 .

i am trying to dig up some information give me suggested 0.5 sdh details ,what is 0.5,defect minimum detected, and also 0.8 side drill hole.

07:11 Feb-12-2015

David Baeley

Engineering,
Australia,
Joined Dec 2014
Re: Flat bottomed v side drilled In Reply to Joe Buckley at 03:48 Mar-25-2008 .

Hi,
I can suggest start drill hole with 15mm to 25mm diameter surface area.Flat bottom drilled and side drilling hole can measured with drilling tools and working equipments.
http://www.tasmanoiltools.com.au

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|