where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
comparing UT acceptance ASME VIII, B31.1 and B31.3
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Airstar Inc.
Application of the newest technologies, such as air-coupled ultrasound, digital instrumentation, signal processing, and transducer technology.

06:12 Apr-01-2008
jarno de jonge
comparing UT acceptance ASME VIII, B31.1 and B31.3

Dear Colleagues,

After comparing the acceptance criteria from these 3 codes it seems like the acceptance for B31.3 is much less stringent then for the other two codes.

Is this correct and does anbody know why this is? Or am I just overlooking something in B31.3?

The acceptance for ASME VIII and B31.1 seem to be exactly the same. They don't allow linear discontinuities over 20% DAC and reject rounded discontinuities when they exceed a certain length and 100%DAC.

As far as I can find; B31.3 does not reject rounded discontinuties. And linear discontinuties are allowed to have some length and are allowed to produce indications up to 100% DAC (similar as is allowed for the rounded indications in VIII and B31.1).

Looking forward to an explanation.

Kind Regards,

Jarno de Jonge

06:05 Apr-02-2008

bob sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: comparing UT acceptance ASME VIII, B31.1 and B31.3
Acceptance criteria does not necessarily be the same when comparison is being made against different code requirements.
ASME Viii is a pressure vessel code, B31.1 - Power Piping and B31.3 - Process Piping.
It is true that B31.3 is less stringent but then again take note it is a piping system designed for and above 0 but less than 105Kpa (15psi)

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Colleagues,
: After comparing the acceptance criteria from these 3 codes it seems like the acceptance for B31.3 is much less stringent then for the other two codes.
: Is this correct and does anbody know why this is? Or am I just overlooking something in B31.3?
: The acceptance for ASME VIII and B31.1 seem to be exactly the same. They don't allow linear discontinuities over 20% DAC and reject rounded discontinuities when they exceed a certain length and 100%DAC.
: As far as I can find; B31.3 does not reject rounded discontinuties. And linear discontinuties are allowed to have some length and are allowed to produce indications up to 100% DAC (similar as is allowed for the rounded indications in VIII and B31.1).
: Looking forward to an explanation.
: Kind Regards,
: Jarno de Jonge
------------ End Original Message ------------

00:44 Apr-03-2008
Ryan Burns
Re: comparing UT acceptance ASME VIII, B31.1 and B31.3 Quote "It is true that B31.3 is less stringent but then again take note it is a piping system designed for and above 0 but less than 105Kpa (15psi)"

Mr. Sudharmin, this is not correct. 31.3 most certanly allows for pressures above 15psi.

Regards,

RB

:
: Acceptance criteria does not necessarily be the same when comparison is being made against different code requirements.
: ASME Viii is a pressure vessel code, B31.1 - Power Piping and B31.3 - Process Piping.
: It is true that B31.3 is less stringent but then again take note it is a piping system designed for and above 0 but less than 105Kpa (15psi)
: : Dear Colleagues,
: : After comparing the acceptance criteria from these 3 codes it seems like the acceptance for B31.3 is much less stringent then for the other two codes.
: : Is this correct and does anbody know why this is? Or am I just overlooking something in B31.3?
: : The acceptance for ASME VIII and B31.1 seem to be exactly the same. They don't allow linear discontinuities over 20% DAC and reject rounded discontinuities when they exceed a certain length and 100%DAC.
: : As far as I can find; B31.3 does not reject rounded discontinuties. And linear discontinuties are allowed to have some length and are allowed to produce indications up to 100% DAC (similar as is allowed for the rounded indications in VIII and B31.1).
: : Looking forward to an explanation.
: : Kind Regards,
: : Jarno de Jonge

08:43 Apr-03-2008
jarno de jonge
Re: comparing UT acceptance ASME VIII, B31.1 and B31.3 There seems to be only an exclusion in B31.3 for this pressure range under certain circumstances. This means that we are just as well talking about pressurised piping.

For this reason I found it remarkable that the acceptance is less stringent for B31.3 piping than for other pressure containing parts (vessels and B31.1 piping)

Jarno

: Quote "It is true that B31.3 is less stringent but then again take note it is a piping system designed for and above 0 but less than 105Kpa (15psi)"
: Mr. Sudharmin, this is not correct. 31.3 most certanly allows for pressures above 15psi.
: Regards,
: RB
: :
: : Acceptance criteria does not necessarily be the same when comparison is being made against different code requirements.
: : ASME Viii is a pressure vessel code, B31.1 - Power Piping and B31.3 - Process Piping.
: : It is true that B31.3 is less stringent but then again take note it is a piping system designed for and above 0 but less than105Kpa (15psi)
: : : Dear Colleagues,
: : : After comparing the acceptance criteria from these 3 codes it seems like the acceptance for B31.3 is much less stringent then for the other two codes.
: : : Is this correct and does anbody know why this is? Or am I just overlooking something in B31.3?
: : : The acceptance for ASME VIII and B31.1 seem to be exactly the same. They don't allow linear discontinuities over 20% DAC and reject rounded discontinuities when they exceed a certain length and 100%DAC.
: : : As far as I can find; B31.3 does not reject rounded discontinuties. And linear discontinuties are allowed to have some length and are allowed to produce indications up to 100% DAC (similar as is allowed for the rounded indications in VIII and B31.1).
: : : Looking forward to an explanation.
: : : Kind Regards,
: : : Jarno de Jonge

05:33 Apr-03-2008

bob sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: comparing UT acceptance ASME VIII, B31.1 and B31.3 My sincere apologies for the inadvertent mistake. I must have overlooked the fact that the statement was meant to be an exclusion of the code's scope. Thank you for the comment.

: Quote "It is true that B31.3 is less stringent but then again take note it is a piping system designed for and above 0 but less than 105Kpa (15psi)"
: Mr. Sudharmin, this is not correct. 31.3 most certanly allows for pressures above 15psi.
: Regards,
: RB
: :
: : Acceptance criteria does not necessarily be the same when comparison is being made against different code requirements.
: : ASME Viii is a pressure vessel code, B31.1 - Power Piping and B31.3 - Process Piping.
: : It is true that B31.3 is less stringent but then again take note it is a piping system designed for and above 0 but less than 105Kpa (15psi)
: : : Dear Colleagues,
: : : After comparing the acceptance criteria from these 3 codes it seems like the acceptance for B31.3 is much less stringent then for the other two codes.
: : : Is this correct and does anbody know why this is? Or am I just overlooking something in B31.3?
: : : The acceptance for ASME VIII and B31.1 seem to be exactly the same. They don't allow linear discontinuities over 20% DAC and reject rounded discontinuities when they exceed a certain length and 100%DAC.
: : : As far as I can find; B31.3 does not reject rounded discontinuties. And linear discontinuties are allowed to have some length and are allowed to produce indications up to 100% DAC (similar as is allowed for the rounded indications in VIII and B31.1).
: : : Looking forward to an explanation.
: : : Kind Regards,
: : : Jarno de Jonge

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|