where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Yasu Ohgi
Yasu Ohgi
04:24 Feb-13-2000
Very Tight Cracks

Dear Sir.
I am an NDT engineer for machanical parts occupied Japanese company.
My problem is the method of detecting very tight and small cracks occured at the non ferrous casted parts edge.
The cracks are too tight to detect by PT, and it is hard to apply ET because of its lift-off characterization.
Someone who has a good idea, please imform me.
Regards.

Robert (Rocky) A. Day
Engineering
Milky Way Jewels, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 40

Robert (Rocky) A. Day

Engineering
Milky Way Jewels,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
06:38 Feb-13-2000
Re: Very Tight Cracks
There are several things you can try. Tightly closed cracks are often a challenge for most NDT methods.

- Use a more sensitive penetrant, e.g. fluorescent.
- Not knowing your geometry I do not know if eddy current could be adapted but you might send samples for evaluation. I would be happy to look at them if you wish.
- Ultrasonics should be considered as well. Same geometry problem as eddy current. Again most vendors would be happy to look at samples.
- Try opening the crack by applying tension to the part in such a way the crack is opened. You can try cycling the tension while the penetrant dwells to see if you can work penetrant into the crack (this is sometimes called winking). This can also sometimes be done with heat.

: Dear Sir.
: I am an NDT engineer for machanical parts occupied Japanese company.
: My problem is the method of detecting very tight and small cracks occured at the non ferrous casted parts edge.
: The cracks are too tight to detect by PT, and it is hard to apply ET because of its lift-off characterization.
: Someone who has a good idea, please imform me.
: Regards.

Quan Zhang
Quan Zhang
08:52 Feb-14-2000
Dear Yasu Ohgi:
What I suggest you do, contact maintainence base of big airline company, they are very experience to do PT on non ferous metal parts, you will win.
Regards.

M Daehling
Engineering, NDI Administrator
Bombardier Aerospace, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 5

M Daehling

Engineering, NDI Administrator
Bombardier Aerospace,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
07:59 Feb-18-2000
Dear Sir.

I found the following website that might interest you. Krypton Gas penetrant imaging might work in your application.
http://www.asnt.org/publications/materialseval/solution/decsolutions/decsolutions.htm

Good Luck

: My problem is the method of detecting very tight and small cracks occured at the non ferrous casted parts edge.
: The cracks are too tight to detect by PT, and it is hard to apply ET because of its lift-off characterization.

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
00:58 Feb-24-2000
Yasu,

Do you have access to the crack initiation side of the component? Have you considered ID or OD Creeping Waves?

I have successfully detected cracks at about 0.005" of an inch with a Creeping Wave.

What is the grain size of the component? Please check out the Advanced UT Flaw Sizing Handbook for a description of the Creeping Technology. It is in the NDT.net library.

J. Mark Davis

Product Spotlight

EPOCH 6LT

The EPOCH 6LT flaw detector is optimized for one-handed operation in rope access and high-portab
ility applications. Lightweight with a grip-oriented weight distribution, the instrument fits securely in a user’s hand or can be strapped to their leg using the rope access accessory kit. The clear, bright screen makes A-scans readable in any light while the intuitive software enables fast navigation.
>

NDT Master Lecturer

In the program both university professors and practitioners will give lectures, which guarantees the
oretical depth and practical inside. Academic Director: Prof. Dr. Christian Boller
The following lecturers are not complete: Prof. Tadeusz Stepinski, Prof. Wieslaw Staszewski, Prof. Frank Walther, Prof. Giovanni Bruno, Prof. Gerd Dobmann, Prof. Philippe Guy
>

NOVO Armor 15 & NOVO Armor 22

The Armor Kit Contains the NOVO Armor, which provides additional mechanical protection to the NOVO 1
5WN & NOVO 22WN Detectors, the Armor Stand and a traveling soft cover. - Newest shock absorbent technology case - Water resistant design - Supports wired & wireless communication - Multiple positioning options - Tripod connection using the Built-in 1/4” threads - Simple Detector battery replacement
>

Webinar: FMC & Advanced Focusing Techniques for Improved Ultrasonic Inspections

Phased array ultrasound is now a commonly accepted inspection technology. Now there is excitement ar
ound new techniques in Phased Array: Full Matrix Capture (FMC) & Total Focusing Method (TFM). Our webinar on December 5 & 6 will illustrate how these techniques, implemented on a TOPAZ64 instrument, can improve the results of existing inspections. Register today.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s