where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Yasu Ohgi
Yasu Ohgi
04:24 Feb-13-2000
Very Tight Cracks

Dear Sir.
I am an NDT engineer for machanical parts occupied Japanese company.
My problem is the method of detecting very tight and small cracks occured at the non ferrous casted parts edge.
The cracks are too tight to detect by PT, and it is hard to apply ET because of its lift-off characterization.
Someone who has a good idea, please imform me.
Regards.

Robert (Rocky) A. Day
Engineering
Milky Way Jewels, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 40

Robert (Rocky) A. Day

Engineering
Milky Way Jewels,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
06:38 Feb-13-2000
Re: Very Tight Cracks
There are several things you can try. Tightly closed cracks are often a challenge for most NDT methods.

- Use a more sensitive penetrant, e.g. fluorescent.
- Not knowing your geometry I do not know if eddy current could be adapted but you might send samples for evaluation. I would be happy to look at them if you wish.
- Ultrasonics should be considered as well. Same geometry problem as eddy current. Again most vendors would be happy to look at samples.
- Try opening the crack by applying tension to the part in such a way the crack is opened. You can try cycling the tension while the penetrant dwells to see if you can work penetrant into the crack (this is sometimes called winking). This can also sometimes be done with heat.

: Dear Sir.
: I am an NDT engineer for machanical parts occupied Japanese company.
: My problem is the method of detecting very tight and small cracks occured at the non ferrous casted parts edge.
: The cracks are too tight to detect by PT, and it is hard to apply ET because of its lift-off characterization.
: Someone who has a good idea, please imform me.
: Regards.

Quan Zhang
Quan Zhang
08:52 Feb-14-2000
Dear Yasu Ohgi:
What I suggest you do, contact maintainence base of big airline company, they are very experience to do PT on non ferous metal parts, you will win.
Regards.

M Daehling
Engineering, NDI Administrator
Bombardier Aerospace, USA, Joined Oct 1999, 5

M Daehling

Engineering, NDI Administrator
Bombardier Aerospace,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
07:59 Feb-18-2000
Dear Sir.

I found the following website that might interest you. Krypton Gas penetrant imaging might work in your application.
http://www.asnt.org/publications/materialseval/solution/decsolutions/decsolutions.htm

Good Luck

: My problem is the method of detecting very tight and small cracks occured at the non ferrous casted parts edge.
: The cracks are too tight to detect by PT, and it is hard to apply ET because of its lift-off characterization.

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
00:58 Feb-24-2000
Yasu,

Do you have access to the crack initiation side of the component? Have you considered ID or OD Creeping Waves?

I have successfully detected cracks at about 0.005" of an inch with a Creeping Wave.

What is the grain size of the component? Please check out the Advanced UT Flaw Sizing Handbook for a description of the Creeping Technology. It is in the NDT.net library.

J. Mark Davis

Product Spotlight

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

XRHRobotStar

In high volume industries like automotive the requirement for a hundred percent X-ray inspection c
reates a bottleneck in the production. The XRHRobotStar is a fully Automated Defect Recognition (ADR) capable robot-system that allows an ultra-fast in-line inspection.
>

FAAST-PA! OEM Patented phased Array for high speed UT inspection

Multiangle, Multifocus, Multifrequency, Multibeam. Instead of stacking UT electronics and having m
any PA probes, FAAST-PA is able to transmit all delay laws within ONE single shot in Real time.
>

Swift & Scorpion2 - a state-of-the-art remote-control ultrasonic crawler

The Swift and Scorpion2 dry-coupled, remote-access ultrasonic crawler bring major efficiency and d
ata improvements to tank shell inspections and other structures such as vessels and offshore installations.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window