where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
x-rays or gamma rays
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Mammon Technologies LLP
1-Stop Shop for all your NDT Needs. Radiography, GPR, Thermography and acoustic devices. We sell worldwide. We train worldwide. We support worldwide.

05:34 May-18-2008

enjilela

R & D, MSc
University of New Brunswick,
Canada,
Joined Aug 2003
x-rays or gamma rays

Hi Everyone,

I have a short question about x-ray and Gamma ray sources used in medicine and industry. When I was doing a literature survey on radiography I observed that x-ray is the source used in RG for medical purposes while the Gamma ray is employed in industrial applications. In fact I didn't see a text conducted for medical application of RG addressing gamma ray as a source. Is it true? if so, please let me know its reason.

Thanks

03:47 May-19-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: x-rays or gamma rays Hi Enjilela,

Gamma radiation is too powerful for the human body.

What you have to remember is the source of radiation selected will be dependent on the composition of what you want to radiograph. Because of their difference in density the same thickness of different materials will allow a different amount of radiation to expose a film resulting in different densities.

So a X-ray of 200 kV will be good to about 0.5 inch of Al, Iridium 192 up to 5 inches of Steel and Cobalt 60 up to 9 inches.

Regarding X-Ray, I have to inform you that X-Ray is also used in the industry, specifically the aircraft industry, but not only that.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi Everyone,
: I have a short question about x-ray and Gamma ray sources used in medicine and industry. When I was doing a literature survey on radiography I observed that x-ray is the source used in RG for medical purposes while the Gamma ray is employed in industrial applications. In fact I didn't see a text conducted for medical application of RG addressing gamma ray as a source. Is it true? if so, please let me know its reason.
: Thanks
------------ End Original Message ------------

01:40 May-24-2008

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001
Re: x-rays or gamma rays While agreeing partially with the answer, I would like to add the following.

Contrast is very important in any radiograph to bring out the details. And contrast depends on differential absorption of the radiation by adjacent materials. If for example, muscle and bones are adjacent, bones being denser will absorb more radiation than muscle tissue and thus will appear bright in the film (the shadow appears brighter since the film is a negative image). Gamma rays being emitted by radioactive sources have definite wavelengths, whereas x-rays have continuous and characteristic components. It is the white or continuous x-rays that are absorbed differentially by various organs and thus x-rays are the right choice for medical radiography.

Gamma rays are used in medicine for treatment of cancer.

X-rays are used in industrial applications, for example many pressure vessel fabricators use x-rays upto a thickness of about 15 - 20 mm of steel. In our organisation, we insist on x-rays and pay more for the fabrication.

If you need more information, pl. feel free to ask.

Swamy

: Hi Enjilela,
: Gamma radiation is too powerful for the human body.
: What you have to remember is the source of radiation selected will be dependent on the composition of what you want to radiograph. Because of their difference in density the same thickness of different materials will allow a different amount of radiation to expose a film resulting in different densities.
: So a X-ray of 200 kV will be good to about 0.5 inch of Al, Iridium 192 up to 5 inches of Steel and Cobalt 60 up to 9 inches.
: Regarding X-Ray, I have to inform you that X-Ray is also used in the industry, specifically the aircraft industry, but not only that.
: ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi Everyone,
: : I have a short question about x-ray and Gamma ray sources used in medicine and industry. When I was doing a literature survey on radiography I observed that x-ray is the source used in RG for medical purposes while the Gamma ray is employed in industrial applications. In fact I didn't see a text conducted for medical application of RG addressing gamma ray as a source. Is it true? if so, please let me know its reason.
: : Thanks

06:05 May-24-2008

bob sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: x-rays or gamma rays That is a very good explanatory information you have provided, Swamy. To add further, some facilities especially dealing in gas, and which requires 100% radiography on the weld joints specify the use of X-rays rather than gamma rays for a better contrast image which might possible go undetected.

: While agreeing partially with the answer, I would like to add the following.
: Contrast is very important in any radiograph to bring out the details. And contrast depends on differential absorption of the radiation by adjacent materials. If for example, muscle and bones are adjacent, bones being denser will absorb more radiation than muscle tissue and thus will appear bright in the film (the shadow appears brighter since the film is a negative image). Gamma rays being emitted by radioactive sources have definite wavelengths, whereas x-rays have continuous and characteristic components. It is the white or continuous x-rays that are absorbed differentiallyby various organs and thus x-rays are the right choice for medical radiography.
: Gamma rays are used in medicine for treatment of cancer.
: X-rays are used in industrial applications, for example many pressure vessel fabricators use x-rays upto a thickness of about 15 - 20 mm of steel. In our organisation, we insist on x-rays and pay more for the fabrication.
: If you need more information, pl. feel free to ask.
: Swamy
: : Hi Enjilela,
: : Gamma radiation is too powerful for the human body.
: : What you have to remember is the source of radiation selected will be dependent on the composition of what you want to radiograph. Because of their difference in density the same thickness of different materials will allow a different amount of radiation to expose a film resulting in different densities.
: : So a X-ray of 200 kV will be good to about 0.5 inch of Al, Iridium 192 up to 5 inches of Steel and Cobalt 60 up to 9 inches.
: : Regarding X-Ray, I have to inform you that X-Ray is also used in the industry, specifically the aircraft industry, but not only that.
: : ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : Hi Everyone,
: : : I have a short question about x-ray and Gamma ray sources used in medicine and industry. When I was doing a literature survey on radiography I observed that x-ray is the source used in RG for medical purposes while the Gamma ray is employed in industrial applications. In fact I didn't see a text conducted for medical application of RG addressing gamma ray as a source. Is it true? if so, please let me know its reason.
: : : Thanks

06:38 May-27-2008

Sanjoy Das

R & D, NDT Manager
Bhabha Atomic Research Centre,
India,
Joined Apr 2008
Re: x-rays or gamma rays ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi Enjilela,
: Gamma radiation is too powerful for the human body.
: What you have to remember is the source of radiation selected will be dependent on the composition of what you want to radiograph. Because of their difference in density the same thickness of different materials will allow a different amount of radiation to expose a film resulting in different densities.
: So a X-ray of 200 kV will be good to about 0.5 inch of Al, Iridium 192 up to 5 inches of Steel and Cobalt 60 up to 9 inches.
: Regarding X-Ray, I have to inform you that X-Ray is also used in the industry, specifically the aircraft industry, but not only that.
: ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi Everyone,
: : I have a short question about x-ray and Gamma ray sources used in medicine and industry. When I was doing a literature survey on radiography I observed that x-ray is the source used in RG for medical purposes while the Gamma ray is employed in industrial applications. In fact I didn't see a text conducted for medical application of RG addressing gamma ray as a source. Is it true? if so, please let me know its reason.
: : Thanks

The gamma rays output is considerably low and is of high energy. Time-distance-shielding are the only way to minimize the personnel exposure. Therefore for medical X-ray flash radiography is employed to minimize the exposure. Also as the issue and bone are low density material and absorb less. Therefore contrast obtained with high energy gamm ray is very poor.

05:33 May-28-2008
tj
Re: x-rays or gamma rays ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : Hi Enjilela,
: : Gamma radiation is too powerful for the human body.
: : What you have to remember is the source of radiation selected will be dependent on the composition of what you want to radiograph. Because of their difference in density the same thickness of different materials will allow a different amount of radiation to expose a film resulting in different densities.
: : So a X-ray of 200 kV will be good to about 0.5 inch of Al, Iridium 192 up to 5 inches of Steel and Cobalt 60 up to 9 inches.
: : Regarding X-Ray, I have to inform you that X-Ray is also used in the industry, specifically the aircraft industry, but not only that.
: : ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : : Hi Everyone,
: : : I have a short question about x-ray and Gamma ray sources used in medicine and industry. When I was doing a literature survey on radiography I observed that x-ray is the source used in RG for medical purposes while the Gamma ray is employed in industrial applications. In fact I didn't see a text conducted for medical application of RG addressing gamma ray as a source. Is it true? if so, please let me know its reason.
: : : Thanks
: The gamma rays output is considerably low and is of high energy. Time-distance-shielding are the only way to minimize the personnel exposure. Therefore for medical X-ray flash radiography is employed to minimize the exposure. Also as the issue and bone are low density material and absorb less. Therefore contrast obtained with high energy gamm ray is very poor.

Hello Enjilela
Sanjoy is partially correct. In fact, if you study further, you will find that gamma rays are also used in medical practice. They are mostly employed for cancer treatment. Radioisotopes can be found in various CT procedures as well. I find that the deciding factor in radiation source for industrial radiography is usually equipment convenience. (i.e. carrying an isotope camera into a refinery vs. a whole x-ray system).

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|