where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
"No Pig" inspection system
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

GB Inspection Systems Ltd.
A leading UK manufacturer of Ultrasonic Probes, Accessories, Supplier of NDT Equipment and more.

00:10 May-29-2008

Bong Jin Son

Engineering, Inspection, Corrosion, Material
SK Innovation,
South Korea,
Joined Apr 2008
"No Pig" inspection system

Hi everybody!
I am using "intelligent pig system" to inspect long buried pipe in my plant. I am looking for other system to replace it. I think I have heard "No Pig" method. Anybody heard that? If you know it, please let me know the details.

Thank you.

02:17 May-29-2008
tj
Re: "No Pig" inspection system ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi everybody!
: I am using "intelligent pig system" to inspect long buried pipe in my plant. I am looking for other system to replace it. I think I have heard "No Pig" method. Anybody heard that? If you know it, please let me know the details.
: Thank you.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hello
You should first ask what methods of inspection you need covered in your pipelines. There are various tools available to perform these measurements, however, they may not be able to access the line like your pig (which is why I'm guessing you are using one to perform NDT in the first place). If you are having trouble with so called unpiggable lines and are using a flow driven pig, you may want to try a tethered or cable pulled version. Hope it helps

01:17 May-29-2008

Rich Roberts

Engineering, Executive Managment
Quest Integrity Group,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: "No Pig" inspection system Good Day Mr. Bong Jin Son,

You may want to consider use of Quest TruTec's "ultasonic" based FTIS intelligent pigging technolgy. The FTIS technology is applied in both plant piping and complex furnace heater coil inspections. If you would like additional information, you may want to visit the Quest TruTec's web-site.

Regards, Rich

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I am using "intelligent pig system" to inspect long buried pipe in my plant. I am looking for other system to replace it. I think I have heard "No Pig" method. Anybody heard that? If you know it, please let me know the details.

07:23 May-30-2008

Sang Kim

Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC,
USA,
Joined Feb 2008
Re: "No Pig" inspection system Hi! Mr. Bong Jin Son,

Try to guided-wave monitoring if your company found some defect with "smart pig" and excavated it. Even though guided wave cannot propagate long distance in buried pipe (in most cases less than 20 ft for finding 5-percent defect in 6-ft-deep buried pipe), the guided wave monitoring is cost-effective method for checking defect growth with probe installed close to the defects. For more information about guided wave monitoring, please go to the following website (http://primis.phmsa.dot.gov/matrix/FilGet.rdm?fil=2233&s=2F15E588841E49909B05AEE9D32BA033&c=1) under DOT/PHMSA website (http://primis.phmsa.dot.gov/matrix/PrjHome.rdm?prj=197). You will find that how effective is the guided wave monitoring to monitor defect initiation and growth.

If you have any question, please contact me at skim@gwanalysis.com.

Sang

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Good Day Mr. Bong Jin Son,
: You may want to consider use of Quest TruTec's "ultasonic" based FTIS intelligent pigging technolgy. The FTIS technology is applied in both plant piping and complex furnace heater coil inspections. If you would like additional information, you may want to visit the Quest TruTec's web-site.
: Regards, Rich
: : Hi everybody!
: : I am using "intelligent pig system" to inspect long buried pipe in my plant. I am looking for other system to replace it. I think I have heard "No Pig" method. Anybody heard that? If you know it, please let me know the details.
: : Thank you.

03:49 Jun-02-2008

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: "No Pig" inspection system ----------- Start Original Message -----------

No Pig originated out of germany some years ago. It uses a current signal induced into the pipe over typically less than a few kilometers and then employs a non contacting aboveground survey to detect field changes related to anomalies in the pipeline. (simplified version). It has had some widespread use especially by some of the German and Dutch pipeline transmission companies. As a screening technique it has merits however I would not say you can use it to assess pipeline integrity in the same way that you can use the data from an ILI survey. You may also find that over long pipelines it works out more expensive than employing an ILI tool.
Like all inpsection technologies it has an area of application especially if you cannot deploy an ILI tool in your pipeline. Note that there are significant restrictions related to contact with the pipeline to introduce the signal, adjacent pipeline distances etc.
You should as with any approach define what you are looking for then look through discussions with the various vendors the ideal path forward in terms of data validity and cost.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|