where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Pile foundations
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

03:22 Mar-01-2000
Michael Lemansky
Pile foundations

I am a geotechnical engineer in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I often have to evaluate whether the steel piles used in bridge foundations can be reused safely or if corrosion has reduced the area of steel. Is Ultrasonic testing something that could be used to help us evaluate the cross sectional area of the existing steel piles.

08:41 Mar-22-2000

andrew cunningham

Consultant, NDT/QA QC/R&D
ASNT,PCN,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2000
Re: Pile foundations : I am a geotechnical engineer in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I often have to evaluate whether the steel piles used in bridge foundations can be reused safely or if corrosion has reduced the area of steel. Is Ultrasonic testing something that could be used to help us evaluate the cross sectional area of the existing steel piles.

dear michael
yes u/t is the way to go. you have a few options, manual "A" scan, grid digital, or "B" & "C" scans that will give you a pictorial image or finally continuous monitoring ultrasonic belt attached to the pile and that can be used beneath grade

andy cunningham

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|