where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Michael Lemansky
Michael Lemansky
03:22 Mar-01-2000
Pile foundations

I am a geotechnical engineer in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I often have to evaluate whether the steel piles used in bridge foundations can be reused safely or if corrosion has reduced the area of steel. Is Ultrasonic testing something that could be used to help us evaluate the cross sectional area of the existing steel piles.

andrew cunningham
Consultant, NDT/QA QC/R&D
ASNT,PCN, Canada, Joined Feb 2000, 14

andrew cunningham

Consultant, NDT/QA QC/R&D
ASNT,PCN,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2000
08:41 Mar-22-2000
Re: Pile foundations
: I am a geotechnical engineer in the Pittsburgh, PA area. I often have to evaluate whether the steel piles used in bridge foundations can be reused safely or if corrosion has reduced the area of steel. Is Ultrasonic testing something that could be used to help us evaluate the cross sectional area of the existing steel piles.

dear michael
yes u/t is the way to go. you have a few options, manual "A" scan, grid digital, or "B" & "C" scans that will give you a pictorial image or finally continuous monitoring ultrasonic belt attached to the pile and that can be used beneath grade

andy cunningham

Product Spotlight

TVC awarded UKAS accreditation

TVC are delighted to finally announce we have been awarded UKAS accreditation for our calibration
laboratory. Laboratory accreditation to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 enables us to conduct the Electrical Verification of Ultrasonic Flaw Detection Equipment to BS EN 12668-1:2010. It has taken many months of hard work and we want to thank our staff for all their efforts during this massive undertaking.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

AMIGO2

TSC Amigo2 - ACFM technology has developed a solid reputation for accurately detecting and sizing
surface-breaking cracks through paint and coatings. As the industry demands increased performance in speed, signal quality, and portability, it’s time for an evolution. It’s time for Amigo2.
>

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window