where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

IMG ULTRASUONI SRL
Ultrasonic transducers for industrial applications (NDT) and medical (Doppler effect). Probes, Ultrasonic instruments, Special systems for NDT.
Technical Discussions
Paulo
Paulo
01:20 Jun-02-2008
Porosity on TOFD inspection

Hello everybody,
Please I need a help concerning the Porosity on TOFD inspection. I couldn't find a specific criteria for porosity cluster. Can anybody help me?
Thanx!
Paulo

Ed Ginzel
R & D, -
Materials Research Institute, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 1267

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
03:38 Jun-02-2008
Re: Porosity on TOFD inspection
Paulo:
Acceptance criteria will depend on the Code you work to. Unfortunately too many codes are still trying to make ultrasonic results look like radiography. If you can, with great certainty, declare that a TOFD indication obtained from a single line scan (D-scan) is a cluster of porosity, then your assessment skills and confidence is greater than mine.
An upper "tip" signal will be possible with a cluster of pores (it is likely to look like an irregular set of arrival times). The lower boundary of the indication from such a flaw will be VERY difficult to determine. Inter-pore scatter will generate several paths that will be unresolvable from the diffraction off the lowest portion of the flaw.

It is permissable in some Codes to assess pores as if they were planar flaws then a length needs to be determined.

Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hello everybody,
: Please I need a help concerning the Porosity on TOFD inspection. I couldn't find a specific criteria for porosity cluster. Can anybody help me?
: Thanx!
: Paulo
------------ End Original Message ------------

Paulo
Paulo
07:44 Jun-03-2008
Ed,
First of all, thanks for your help.
So, what you are saying is that is quite impossible to assess porosity using only TOFD method? Cause it's impossible to know the correct position of the flaw on the scan axis, we just know the depth!
Thanks

Paulo

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Paulo:
: Acceptance criteria will depend on the Code you work to. Unfortunately too many codes are still trying to make ultrasonic results look like radiography. If you can, with great certainty, declare that a TOFD indication obtained from a single line scan (D-scan) is a cluster of porosity, then your assessment skills and confidence is greater than mine.
: An upper "tip" signal will be possible with a cluster of pores (it is likely to look like an irregular set of arrival times). The lower boundary of the indication from such a flaw will be VERY difficult to determine. Inter-pore scatter will generate several paths that will be unresolvable from the diffraction off the lowest portion of the flaw.
: It is permissable in some Codes to assess pores as if they were planar flaws then a length needs to be determined.
: Ed
: : Hello everybody,
: : Please I need a help concerning the Porosity on TOFD inspection. I couldn't find a specific criteria for porosity cluster. Can anybody help me?
: : Thanx!
: : Paulo
------------ End Original Message ------------

mustafa GONULAL
Engineering,
CIMTAS / ENKA, Turkey, Joined Jun 2008, 8

mustafa GONULAL

Engineering,
CIMTAS / ENKA,
Turkey,
Joined Jun 2008
05:30 Jun-04-2008
Hi, I am a TOFD expert, I have inspected 20km weld with TOFD method. I have seen many clusters of porosity in a weld. The only thing you should do is to measure the distance between the porosities and to look up their homogenities.

Product Spotlight

NEW - TD Focus-ScanRX

The NEW Next Generation Advanced UT platform, TD Focus ScanRX - Also available as a card stack solut
ion. Key Improvements 1. Data acquisition is significantly faster than current design 2. Better aesthetic – closely aligns with HandyScan RX 3. Improved IP rating (Target IP66) 4. Ruggedized housing 5. Connectors are protected from impact and ingress 6. Integrated stand and separate retractable handle easy to keep clean) 7. Touchscreen with ruggedized display glass 8. 3-Axis encoder input
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

High-end Ultrasonic Flaw Detector with 32:128PR PAUT and 2-ch TOFD: SyncScan 2

SIUI’s newly launched SyncScan 2, is a high-end ultrasonic flaw detector with 32:128PR PAUT and
2-ch TOFD, which can maximize your efficiency for PA and TOFD. ● Support PA/TOFD/UT ● 32-ch PA is more suitable for inspection on extra-thick wall and high-attenuation material. ● 32-ch PA and 2-ch TOFD work simultaneously. ● Support PR mode for corrosion inspection.
>

NDT.net launches mobile-friendly design

NDT.net has revamped its website providing a mobile-friendly design.The front page received a comp
letely new design and all other sections are now reacting responsively on mobile devices. This has been a major step to make our website more user- friendly.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window