where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Thickness measurment
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Sonotron NDT
Original developer and manufacturer of advanced ultrasonic instruments

00:17 Jun-09-2008
Mehdi Eskandarzade
Thickness measurment

Hi, Im seeking the best option for the thickness meaturment of the the sheet metals. could you please any one point me to the variuse type of thickness meaturment methods?
in this way, I can study them and find the best one for my case
Best Regards
Mehdi

02:18 Jun-09-2008

Gowri santhosh

NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd,
Singapore,
Joined May 2008
Re: Thickness measurment ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, Im seeking the best option for the thickness meaturment of the the sheet metals. could you please any one point me to the variuse type of thickness meaturment methods?
: in this way, I can study them and find the best one for my case
: Best Regards
: Mehdi
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi,
Pulso echo technique is the best for thickness measurement with micro tolerances.
Regards,
Gowri

03:05 Jun-09-2008

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Thickness measurment That is normally a straightforward measurement for an ultrasonic thickness gage. For best results, use a precision gage with a single element high frequency delay line tranducer (10 or 20 MHz), as opposed to a gage designed for corrosion survey, which will typically not be quite as accurate. I'm attaching a link to an application note on ultrasonic gaging of coiled sheet steel that you may find relevant.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi, Im seeking the best option for the thickness meaturment of the the sheet metals. could you please any one point me to the variuse type of thickness meaturment methods?

02:46 Jun-10-2008

S.V.Swamy

Engineering, - Material Testing Inspection & Quality Control
Retired from Nuclear Fuel Complex ,
India,
Joined Feb 2001

Thickness can be measured by several techniques, but Pulse-echo technique using high frequency ultrasonic waves is almost industry standard. The most optimal method depends on your actual application. If you need to measure the sheet online as it is being produced, you would need a non-contact fast measurement technique with a feed-back control system. A simple hand held thickness gauge would be idea for static shop floor measurement.

If you define your specific application, I would be in a better position to advise you with specific recommendations.

Swamy

03:17 Jun-10-2008

mustafa GONULAL

Engineering,
CIMTAS / ENKA,
Turkey,
Joined Jun 2008
: : Hi, Im seeking the best option for the thickness meaturment of the the sheet metals. could you please any one point me to the variuse type of thickness meaturment methods?
: : in this way, I can study them and find the best one for my case
: : Best Regards
: : Mehdi
: Thickness can be measured by several techniques, but Pulse-echo technique using high frequency ultrasonic waves is almost industry standard. The most optimal method depends on your actual application. If you need to measure the sheet online as it is being produced, you would need a non-contact fast measurement technique with a feed-back control system. A simple hand held thickness gauge would be idea for static shop floor measurement.
: If you define your specific application, I would be in a better position to advise you with specific recommendations.
: Swamy

Hi everybody,
I am suggesting GE Kraut Kramer CL5 which isshowing also A-Scan screen. I am using also and it is very successfull.

09:58 Jun-10-2008
Simon Amallraja
Pulse Echo method is best suitable one for this application. You can look for Precision Thickness Gages from Sonatest, Danatronics etc.

Simon

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|