where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

NDTSS - Non Destructive Testing Society of Singapore
Visit us at SINCE 2019
Technical Discussions
Chad
Chad
02:39 Jun-12-2008
UT transducer connecting

I seem to recall being told one time that you should not connect your transducer to your flaw detector while the machine is on. Is this correct or does it not matter one way or the other?

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 850

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
07:03 Jun-15-2008
Re: UT transducer connecting
Hi Chad,

I've been told the same by someone at one time who was told also. Personnaly, I don't know if it makes much difference. I'm sure someone else will write with their opinion as well. The reasons I see not to do so are as follow: If you are working in an environment where the danger of explosion exist. I have personnally notice the little spark when you connect your transducer (specially with a microdot connector). So, there is a danger there. I don't know about your industry, but it is not something you want to try in an aircraft fuel tank.
The other reason would have to do with the computer inside the UT instrument. Same as for our PC at home, sometimes you have to reboot your PC for any changes you've made to take effect. I'm speculating here, but I wouldn't pass it by some IT guys to want to do it that way.

Cheerios,

Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I seem to recall being told one time that you should not connect your transducer to your flaw detector while the machine is on. Is this correct or does it not matter one way or the other?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Linas Svilainis
R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology, Lithuania, Joined Nov 1998, 67

Linas Svilainis

R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology,
Lithuania,
Joined Nov 1998
09:52 Jun-16-2008
: I seem to recall being told one time that you should not connect your transducer to your flaw detector while the machine is on. Is this correct or does it not matter one way or the other?
If you are speaking about passive probe, this requirement is probably for safety issues.
1.The connector (BNC,SMA ) that is usually used to connect transducer to equipment is not designed for "pre-mating earth".
2.Not all equipment have a galvanic isolation of "hot" center tap.
This means that there is a possibility to connect a center tap first. In such case the operator can get electrical shock.
Speaking of active probe (with preamp inside or array) this requirement is applicable for equipment that is not designed for "hot plug".
Despite everything said people DO CONNECT transducers while equipment is on and no one was seriously hurt or equipment damaged.
My advise would be to follow this rule.

regards,

Linas

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
04:57 Jun-16-2008
With typical commercial flaw detectors and thickness gages, there is no reasonable likelihood of either personal injury or damage to the instrument. While it is certainly possible to get a spark -- a very important issue if you're working in a combustible environment -- typical spike and square wave excitation pulses from portable instruments pose no shock hazard under normal conditions.

There may be some nonstandard instruments out there that represent an exception, so if you want to err on the side of caution, act accordingly. But in 30 years of working in ultrasonic NDT I've never heard of this being a safely problem, combustible environments excepted.

Product Spotlight

Combination of Digital Image Correlation and Thermographic Measurements

The combination of measuring results from the digital image correlation (ARAMIS, DIC) and temperat
ure measuring data from infrared cameras permits the simultaneous analysis of the thermal and mechanical behavior of test specimens in the materials and components testing field.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

IRIS 9000Plus - Introducing the next generation of heat exchanger inspection.

Representing the seventh generation of the IRIS system, the IRIS 9000 Plus has nearly 200 years of c
ombined field inspection experience incorporated in its design. This experience combined with a strong commitment to quality and a history of innovation has made Iris Inspection Services® the undisputed leader in IRIS technology.
>

NEW! The PragmaPro Instrument Platform

The PragmaPro is based on a modular cartridge technology and supports various NDT instrument modal
ities such as UT, PAUT, ECT and many more. This new platform is based on a machined, powder-coated aluminum frame for shock-proofness, best sealing qualities and maximum heat dissipation. This is practical to extend the outdoor temperature range and/or to extend the power injected in the transducers. The PragmaPro is aiming at a very wide range of applications, such as weld scanning, corrosion mapping and composite testing.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window