where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Chad
Chad
02:39 Jun-12-2008
UT transducer connecting

I seem to recall being told one time that you should not connect your transducer to your flaw detector while the machine is on. Is this correct or does it not matter one way or the other?

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 831

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
07:03 Jun-15-2008
Re: UT transducer connecting
Hi Chad,

I've been told the same by someone at one time who was told also. Personnaly, I don't know if it makes much difference. I'm sure someone else will write with their opinion as well. The reasons I see not to do so are as follow: If you are working in an environment where the danger of explosion exist. I have personnally notice the little spark when you connect your transducer (specially with a microdot connector). So, there is a danger there. I don't know about your industry, but it is not something you want to try in an aircraft fuel tank.
The other reason would have to do with the computer inside the UT instrument. Same as for our PC at home, sometimes you have to reboot your PC for any changes you've made to take effect. I'm speculating here, but I wouldn't pass it by some IT guys to want to do it that way.

Cheerios,

Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: I seem to recall being told one time that you should not connect your transducer to your flaw detector while the machine is on. Is this correct or does it not matter one way or the other?
------------ End Original Message ------------

Linas Svilainis
R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology, Lithuania, Joined Nov 1998, 67

Linas Svilainis

R & D,
Kaunas University of Technology,
Lithuania,
Joined Nov 1998
09:52 Jun-16-2008
: I seem to recall being told one time that you should not connect your transducer to your flaw detector while the machine is on. Is this correct or does it not matter one way or the other?
If you are speaking about passive probe, this requirement is probably for safety issues.
1.The connector (BNC,SMA ) that is usually used to connect transducer to equipment is not designed for "pre-mating earth".
2.Not all equipment have a galvanic isolation of "hot" center tap.
This means that there is a possibility to connect a center tap first. In such case the operator can get electrical shock.
Speaking of active probe (with preamp inside or array) this requirement is applicable for equipment that is not designed for "hot plug".
Despite everything said people DO CONNECT transducers while equipment is on and no one was seriously hurt or equipment damaged.
My advise would be to follow this rule.

regards,

Linas

Tom Nelligan
Engineering,
retired, USA, Joined Nov 1998, 390

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
04:57 Jun-16-2008
With typical commercial flaw detectors and thickness gages, there is no reasonable likelihood of either personal injury or damage to the instrument. While it is certainly possible to get a spark -- a very important issue if you're working in a combustible environment -- typical spike and square wave excitation pulses from portable instruments pose no shock hazard under normal conditions.

There may be some nonstandard instruments out there that represent an exception, so if you want to err on the side of caution, act accordingly. But in 30 years of working in ultrasonic NDT I've never heard of this being a safely problem, combustible environments excepted.

Product Spotlight

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

ISAFE3 Intrinsically Safe Sensor System

ISAFE3 intrinsically safe sensor system of Vallen Systeme is especially targeted at the petrochemica
l - as well as oil and gas transportation industry. The sensor system is designed for permanent monitoring or periodic inspection tasks. Sensors are available for different AE-frequency ranges optimized for corrosion and fatigue crack detection and other applications. The ISAFE 3 sensor system consists of an AE-sensor (model ISAS3) certified according to ATEX/IEC for installation in zone 0, gas group IIC, IP68, 20 to +60 °C, and a signal isolator (model SISO3) certified for installation in zone 2. An ISAS3 sensor can be mounted in atmosphere or submerged, e.g. in water or crude oil. It is supported by mounting tools for temporary (magnets) or permanent (welded) installation. ISAFE3 supports automatic sensor coupling test and can be used with any AE signal processor supporting 28V supply at 90 mA peak, e.g. Vallen Systeme ASIP-2/A.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window