where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
jason hewett
jason hewett
03:30 Jun-19-2008
lamination vs stringer

My client has specs for welding close to laminations but none in regards to stringers. I'm currently inspecting 12" x 6.4mm late 1950s pipe that is full of inclusions/stringers. It's not much of an issue when doing a tie in on dead pipe, but welding line stoppers (fillet welds) onto live pipe with stringers present is making me nervous. Should I have cause for concern?

Cheers

Jason

Ryan Burns
Ryan Burns
06:24 Jun-20-2008
Re: lamination vs stringer
Hi Jason,

My opinion is that it would depend on the depth of the stringers. What is the product and pressure in the line? If you are finding multiple indications at varying depths in the area of the anchor welds, then yes, I'd be concerned. Is there any chance you may be seeing HIC (Hydrogen Induced Cracking)? Have you done shearwave to find any step cracks? I'd also suggest using a delay line transducer to ensure near surface indications are not missed, as well as black on white MT to ensure there is no SCC present.

Good luck,

Ryan

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: My client has specs for welding close to laminations but none in regards to stringers. I'm currently inspecting 12" x 6.4mm late 1950s pipe that is full of inclusions/stringers. It's not much of an issue when doing a tie in on dead pipe, but welding line stoppers (fillet welds) onto live pipe with stringers present is making me nervous. Should I have cause for concern?
: Cheers
: Jason
------------ End Original Message ------------

David Hermanutz
Consultant,
Hbndt.com, China, Joined Jul 2012, 85

David Hermanutz

Consultant,
Hbndt.com,
China,
Joined Jul 2012
01:55 Aug-22-2008
Re: lamination vs stringer
Hi Jason,

Hot Taps on live lines need to have good material, I have rejected pipe three times in a row for stringers, Like you , I also had no direction on Laminations but felt that it was neccessary to go with caution.

If the pipe is excessively "dirty" it may also have unknown material properties such as High Carbon that could lead to cracking and failure of the hot-tap procedure. Old pipe manufacturing had a ridiculously low amount of Quality Assurance performed, and may not be fit for the service it has been operating under.

Be safe!

David

Regards,

David

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi Jason,
: My opinion is that it would depend on the depth of the stringers. What is the product and pressure in the line? If you are finding multiple indications at varying depths in the area of the anchor welds, then yes, I'd be concerned. Is there any chance you may be seeing HIC (Hydrogen Induced Cracking)? Have you done shearwave to find any step cracks? I'd also suggestusing a delay line transducer to ensure near surface indications are not missed, as well as black on white MT to ensure there is no SCC present.
: Good luck,
: Ryan
: : My client has specs for welding close to laminations but none in regards to stringers. I'm currently inspecting 12" x 6.4mm late 1950s pipe that is full of inclusions/stringers. It's not much of an issue when doing a tie in on dead pipe, but welding line stoppers (fillet welds) onto live pipe with stringers present is making me nervous. Should I have cause for concern?
: : Cheers
: : Jason
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Navic - Steerable Modular Automated Scanner

The Navic is a modular, motorized, steerable scanner designed to carry multiple attachments used
in various scanning and inspection applications. The Navic is capable of weld scanning (girth welds and long seam welds), automated corrosion mapping, and tank scanning.
>

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

NDTkit RT

NDTkit RT, TESTIA's Digital Radiography software The NDTkit product line software for X-ray analysi
s. NDTkit RT is a software benefiting from the Ultis kernel which is dedicated to radiographic image analysis. It offers a set of tools and filtering processes to assist RT operators in finding relevant flaws.
>

AIS229 - Multipurpose Real Time System

Latest standard & automatic real time system developed by Balteau. The AIS229 has been designed to
do series inspection in a wide variety of industry. Composed of a shielded cabinet, 5 axis manipulator, x-ray generator and tubehead from 160kV to 225kV, a fl at panel & much more, the AIS229 is most certainly one of the most multipurpose RTR system available on the market.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window