where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
MT, PT in Sub zero Temp
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

08:10 Jul-01-2008
RT. Jeyakumar
MT, PT in Sub zero Temp

Good day Everyone,

Is there any special chemicals available for doing above NDT in Sub Zero temperature.

And any code & Standard specifically for this kind of regions?

Please help me giving some tips.

Thanks in advance,

RT. Jeyakumar

07:49 Jul-01-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: MT, PT in Sub zero Temp Personally, I never had to deal with this situation and for what I know is from my courses.

As far as PT is concerned, the temperature range for penetrant should be between 4 - 152 degree Celcius (40 - 125 degree F) unless otherwise specified meaning you have to find a penetrant that can work below this range. That is in accordance with ASTM E1417 para. 7.2

Now with MT, you give very little information, but you could use a dry particle medium that would give you a proper contrast. No chemical would be involved.

Having said that, I encourage you to consult ASTM Standards E709 - Standard Guide for Magnetic Particle Examinatin and E1417 Standard Parctice for Liquid Penetrant Examination. Thesee two standards should help you make the right decision.

Cheerios,

Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Good day Everyone,
: Is there any special chemicals available for doing above NDT in Sub Zero temperature.
: And any code & Standard specifically for this kind of regions?
: Please help me giving some tips.
: Thanks in advance,
: RT. Jeyakumar
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:52 Jul-01-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: MT, PT in Sub zero Temp After posting my answer, I realise I made a typo. The temperature range should have read 4 - 52 degree Celsius which would make it 40 - 125 degree Farenheit.

Sorry,
Michel

: Is there any special chemicals available for doing above NDT in Sub Zero temperature.

03:57 Jul-05-2008
Jan
Re: MT, PT in Sub zero Temp For MT is important what type of suspension you want to use (oil or water base). In oil case is problem with bad viscosity. The water suspension had to contain e.g. ethylalcohol to avoid freeze.
For PT is existing a lot of codes. Each of them defined so-called range of default temperatures (c. 16 - 48 deg.C in ASME, 10 - 50 deg.C in EN and so one). If you want to carry out the PT below the min. required temperature, you will had to qualify your PT procedure on the appropriate comparative gauge (e.g. Al block according to ASME V art. 6 - I hope). At all events, you must use a longer time for penetration and developing.

00:12 Jul-07-2008

Jukka Hakala

Director, NDT-Advisor EN Level 3
NDT-Team Oy,
Finland,
Joined Oct 2004
Re: MT, PT in Sub zero Temp If you have to do MT/PT-inspections below the temperatures mentioned in ASME or EN standards you should bear in mind that there is some restrictions.
PT: EN571-1: "For temperatures below +10deg.C only penetrant product families and procedures approved in accordance with EN ISO 3452-2 (revision of ISO 2452-2:2000 and its previous name was prEN 571-2) for this purpose shall be used."
Even if you will use some penetrant chemical which is suitable for "cold" conditions for example Bycotest RP20LT (-15 to +35 deg.C) and you have approved procedures and you perform the functionality test with using two Al-pieces, your inspection may fail.
Most important thing is that below +10deg.C the condensing moisture/water/ice on the surface and in the discontinuties prevents penetrants penetration and you will get no indications. Whenever possible, it is much better to get the inspection object to the standard temperature range e.g. using blowtorch, bunsen burner, electrical heater etc.
MT: I recommend using MT-method with aerosol media. Those chemicals are made on petroleum suspension and they will function on quite cold conditions.

Jukka

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|