where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
Jacques Parent
Jacques Parent
05:03 Mar-15-2000
Pitch and catch, Tip diffraction

I have an application where I need to confirm and size a longitudinal crack, ID initiated, on a 12.75" OD pipe, wall thickness 2.343".
The crack is running between tube holes which are separated by by ~3" of steel.

We are thinking of a pitch and catch arrangement.
We will "pitch" a shear wave, of appropriate angle, in the circumferential direction, to excite the bottom opening of the crack on the ID. (1/2", 2.25 MHz)
We are hoping to "catch" the Tip Diffracted signal, with a normal beam probe, positioned directly above the crack location. By using Time of Flight in the absolute mode, we are hoping to measure the ligament above the crack tip and therefore the crack size (depth).

1) Any comments?
2) Any experience with something similar?
3) Any suggestions on the shear and/or normal probes specifications?
4) Any other ideas?

Thanks
jp

Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
05:21 Mar-15-2000
Re: Pitch and catch, Tip diffraction
Dear Jacques,

This is Mark Davis. Have you worn out your egg from all the NDT Stress???

I discussed this inspection with Dick Grey. It is really a very easy inspection, but the most important part is a calibration block. ID creeping waves and tip diffraction are your best bets. Detect and qualitiatively size with ID Creeping wave. Then you can back it up with Tip Difrraction either foward scatter or back scattering technique. Again, the calibration block is most important in my opinion.

Please call me or have Dick call me.

Good Luck,

J. Mark Davis

PS. I would also look at a 3.5 MHZ or a 4 or 5 Mhz to get a tip with good signal to niose ratio.

: I have an application where I need to confirm and size a longitudinal crack, ID initiated, on a 12.75" OD pipe, wall thickness 2.343".
: The crack is running between tube holes which are separated by by ~3" of steel.

: We are thinking of a pitch and catch arrangement.
: We will "pitch" a shear wave, of appropriate angle, in the circumferential direction, to excite the bottom opening of the crack on the ID. (1/2", 2.25 MHz)
: We are hoping to "catch" the Tip Diffracted signal, with a normal beam probe, positioned directly above the crack location. By using Time of Flight in the absolute mode, we are hoping to measure the ligament above the crack tip and therefore the crack size (depth).

: 1) Any comments?
: 2) Any experience with something similar?
: 3) Any suggestions on the shear and/or normal probes specifications?
: 4) Any other ideas?

: Thanks
: jp

Gary
Gary
07:27 Mar-15-2000
: I have an application where I need to confirm and size a longitudinal crack, ID initiated, on a 12.75" OD pipe, wall thickness 2.343".
: The crack is running between tube holes which are separated by by ~3" of steel.

: We will "pitch" a shear wave, of appropriate angle, in the circumferential direction, to excite the bottom opening of the crack on the ID. (1/2", 2.25 MHz)
: We are hoping to "catch" the Tip Diffracted signal, with a normal beam probe, positioned directly above the crack location. By using Time of Flight in the absolute mode, we are hoping to measure the ligament above the crack tip and therefore the crack size (depth).

Gary Woodside
NDT Inspector,
Visual Testing Services Ltd., United Kingdom, Joined Feb 2000, 8

Gary Woodside

NDT Inspector,
Visual Testing Services Ltd.,
United Kingdom,
Joined Feb 2000
07:34 Mar-15-2000
Sounds similar to ligament cracking experienced in UK power stations.

A videoscope with measurement capability can measure the crack wher it is visible in both holes. The mid point of the crack may be deeper but is in proportion to both sides. As the cracks in this instance are a result of thermal cycles - it is the rate of propagation which is most important in deciding when to reject the unit.

Regards

Gary

by : : I have an application where I need to confirm and size a longitudinal crack, ID initiated, on a 12.75" OD pipe, wall thickness 2.343".
: : The crack is running between tube holes which are separated by by ~3" of steel.

: : We are thinking of a pitch and catch arrangement.
: : We will "pitch" a shear wave, of appropriate angle, in the circumferential direction, to excite the bottom opening of the crack on the ID. (1/2", 2.25 MHz)
: : We are hoping to "catch" the Tip Diffracted signal, with a normal beam probe, positioned directly above the crack location. By using Time of Flight in the absolute mode, we are hoping to measure the ligament above the crack tip and therefore the crack size (depth).

: : 1) Any comments?
: : 2) Any experience with something similar?
: : 3) Any suggestions on the shear and/or normal probes specifications?
: : 4) Any other ideas?

: : Thanks
: : jp

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 177

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
08:58 Mar-16-2000
he crack is running between tube holes which are separated by by ~3" of steel.

Jacques Parent
Jacques Parent
04:20 Mar-16-2000
Thank you for the suggestion

What would you expect the minimum detectable crack size (length and depth) to be?

What would you use for calibration block design?

Saw cuts OK or should we go EDM notches?

10%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% of wall thickness OK?

How long would you make the calibration "cracks"?

Regards
jp

J. Mark Davis
Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama, USA, Joined Mar 2000, 85

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000
06:59 Mar-16-2000
: Thank you for the suggestion

: What would you expect the minimum detectable crack size (length and depth) to be?

This is really dictated by the Critical Flaw Size. What does the FM people say. 10% of t and 1/2 inch long???

: What would you use for calibration block design?

This should be a mock up of the actual design or a close design to incorporate the geometric limitations.

: Saw cuts OK or should we go EDM notches?

Saw cuts or notches are ok. You just need a calibration reflector to calibrate the time of flight of the UT system. With of the notch reflector is a consideration; too wide a notch and you could get tip diffracted energies from both notch edges. I suggest not widths to be between 1 to 3 mm. Small as practical.

: 10%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% of wall thickness OK?

Yes, but the rememebr the critical flaw size. If it is 5% then add a 5%.

: How long would you make the calibration "cracks"?

Again, what is the critical flaw size. Is length the concern or depth?
: Regards
:jp

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 177

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
09:03 Mar-20-2000
dth of the block, i.e. at least three beam diameters. But as said above, it is possible to detect much shorter cracks.

If you have to detect a given minimum crack depth, e.g. of 0,05t, then I recommend make also a cut of 5% depth.
Additionaly, to convince all non-experts, it would be nice to demonstrate the technique on a real crack, e.g. an enforced crack on a tensile specimen.

Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann
--------------------------

Thank you for the suggestion

: What would you expect the minimum detectable crack size (length and depth) to be?

: What would you use for calibration block design?

: Saw cuts OK or should we go EDM notches?

: 10%, 20%, 40%, 60%, 80% of wall thickness OK?

: How long would you make the calibration "cracks"?

: Regards

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Ultrasonic Testing Immersion Tanks with Unmatched Scanning Features

TecScan’s non-destructive testing Ultrasonic Immersion Tanks & scanners are designed for high pe
rformance and demanding NDT testing applications. Our Scan3D™ line of High Precision Immersion Tanks are specifically designed for automated ultrasonic testing of complex composites parts used in aerospace and industrial applications.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window