where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Detection of corrosion under insulation
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:29 Jul-19-2008
Alysson Bueno
Detection of corrosion under insulation

Dear aLL

I work at International Paint/Akzo Nobel and I want to use a non destructive test to detect corrosion under insulation in Tanks without breaking the film.
Could you indicate me what techniques is better to detect this type of corrosion?

Best regards

Alysson Helton santos Bueno
Corrosion researcher
International Paint

Av. Paiva, 999 - Neves
São Gonçalo - RJ
24246-148
Brasil

E-mail: alysson.bueno@internationalpaint.com
Tel: + 55 (21) 2199 7214
Fax: + 55 (21) 2199 7128

Web: www.internationalpaint.com
International Paint is a division of Akzo Nobel Ltda.

04:57 Jul-19-2008

Sang Kim

Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC,
USA,
Joined Feb 2008
Detection of corrosion under insulation at Plate Dear Alysson,

If you want to locate corrosion and estimate its cross-sectional area, you can use long-range MsS guided-wave technology that generates and detects shear-horizontal wave or Lamb wave. With 128-kHz shear-horizontal probe at one location, it can inspect wide plate area (20 cm * 6 m) along each direction of both-side of the plate probe. If the plate is ferromagnetic material (such as carbon steel, ferritic stainless steel, etc), the MsS probe can operate without contact with about 3-mm liftoff. If the material is non-magnetic material such as austenite stainless steel, the MsS probe can generate guided wave with contact using ultrasonic shear couplant with pressure. For more information, please refer to GWA guided-wave application website(http://www.gwanalysis.com/plate_structure.html).

Thanks,

Sang Kim
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear aLL
: I work at International Paint/Akzo Nobel and I want to use a non destructive test to detect corrosion under insulationin Tanks without breaking the film.
: Could you indicate me what techniques is better to detect this type of corrosion?
: Best regards
: Alysson Helton santos Bueno
: Corrosion researcher
: International Paint
: Av. Paiva, 999 - Neves
: São Gonçalo - RJ
: 24246-148
: Brasil
: E-mail: alysson.bueno@internationalpaint.com
: Tel: + 55 (21) 2199 7214
: Fax: + 55 (21) 2199 7128
: Web: www.internationalpaint.com
: International Paint is a division of Akzo Nobel Ltda.
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:01 Jul-28-2008

Cailean Forrester

Director
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2008
Re: Detection of corrosion under insulation Have you considered using Pulsed Eddy Current or Thermography?
both work well in appropriate conditions, as is the case with any technique - you need both the circumstances and the expertise

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear aLL
: I work at International Paint/Akzo Nobel and I want to use a non destructive test to detect corrosion under insulation in Tanks without breaking the film.
: Could you indicate me what techniques is better to detect this type of corrosion?
: Best regards
: Alysson Helton santos Bueno
: Corrosion researcher
: International Paint
: Av. Paiva, 999 - Neves
: São Gonçalo - RJ
: 24246-148
: Brasil
: E-mail: alysson.bueno@internationalpaint.com
: Tel: + 55 (21) 2199 7214
: Fax: + 55 (21) 2199 7128
: Web: www.internationalpaint.com
: International Paint is a division of Akzo Nobel Ltda.
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|