where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

GB Inspection Systems Ltd.
A leading UK manufacturer of Ultrasonic Probes, Accessories, Supplier of NDT Equipment and more.
Technical Discussions
Alysson Bueno
Alysson Bueno
07:29 Jul-19-2008
Detection of corrosion under insulation

Dear aLL

I work at International Paint/Akzo Nobel and I want to use a non destructive test to detect corrosion under insulation in Tanks without breaking the film.
Could you indicate me what techniques is better to detect this type of corrosion?

Best regards

Alysson Helton santos Bueno
Corrosion researcher
International Paint

Av. Paiva, 999 - Neves
São Gonçalo - RJ
24246-148
Brasil

E-mail: alysson.bueno@internationalpaint.com
Tel: + 55 (21) 2199 7214
Fax: + 55 (21) 2199 7128

Web: www.internationalpaint.com
International Paint is a division of Akzo Nobel Ltda.

Sang Kim
Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC, USA, Joined Feb 2008, 44

Sang Kim

Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC,
USA,
Joined Feb 2008
04:57 Jul-19-2008
Detection of corrosion under insulation at Plate
Dear Alysson,

If you want to locate corrosion and estimate its cross-sectional area, you can use long-range MsS guided-wave technology that generates and detects shear-horizontal wave or Lamb wave. With 128-kHz shear-horizontal probe at one location, it can inspect wide plate area (20 cm * 6 m) along each direction of both-side of the plate probe. If the plate is ferromagnetic material (such as carbon steel, ferritic stainless steel, etc), the MsS probe can operate without contact with about 3-mm liftoff. If the material is non-magnetic material such as austenite stainless steel, the MsS probe can generate guided wave with contact using ultrasonic shear couplant with pressure. For more information, please refer to GWA guided-wave application website(http://www.gwanalysis.com/plate_structure.html).

Thanks,

Sang Kim
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear aLL
: I work at International Paint/Akzo Nobel and I want to use a non destructive test to detect corrosion under insulationin Tanks without breaking the film.
: Could you indicate me what techniques is better to detect this type of corrosion?
: Best regards
: Alysson Helton santos Bueno
: Corrosion researcher
: International Paint
: Av. Paiva, 999 - Neves
: São Gonçalo - RJ
: 24246-148
: Brasil
: E-mail: alysson.bueno@internationalpaint.com
: Tel: + 55 (21) 2199 7214
: Fax: + 55 (21) 2199 7128
: Web: www.internationalpaint.com
: International Paint is a division of Akzo Nobel Ltda.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Cailean Forrester
Director
United Kingdom, Joined Mar 2008, 25

Cailean Forrester

Director
United Kingdom,
Joined Mar 2008
07:01 Jul-28-2008
Re: Detection of corrosion under insulation
Have you considered using Pulsed Eddy Current or Thermography?
both work well in appropriate conditions, as is the case with any technique - you need both the circumstances and the expertise

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear aLL
: I work at International Paint/Akzo Nobel and I want to use a non destructive test to detect corrosion under insulation in Tanks without breaking the film.
: Could you indicate me what techniques is better to detect this type of corrosion?
: Best regards
: Alysson Helton santos Bueno
: Corrosion researcher
: International Paint
: Av. Paiva, 999 - Neves
: São Gonçalo - RJ
: 24246-148
: Brasil
: E-mail: alysson.bueno@internationalpaint.com
: Tel: + 55 (21) 2199 7214
: Fax: + 55 (21) 2199 7128
: Web: www.internationalpaint.com
: International Paint is a division of Akzo Nobel Ltda.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window