where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Corrosion Metre
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

00:03 Aug-06-2008

Goutam Basu

Sales
NA,
India,
Joined Apr 2005
Corrosion Metre

Is there any instrument available as CORROSION METRE for checking corrosion in storage tanks etc. If anybody aware please send me the detail.

01:58 Aug-06-2008
tj
Re: Corrosion Metre ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is there any instrument available as CORROSION METRE for checking corrosion in storage tanks etc. If anybody aware please send me the detail.
------------ End Original Message ------------

If you are speaking of wall thickness loss due to corrosion then you should check out ultrasonic thickness gauges. Units with "A" scan show a trained user where pitting is present. There are other more advanced ultrasonic techniques for more detail.

05:03 Aug-06-2008

John Brunk

Engineering, NDT Level III
Self employed, part-time,
USA,
Joined Oct 1999
Re: Corrosion Metre Corrosion metre meter here in Kansas City) is the term commonly used for an ultrasonic thickness gage with a pitch-catch (dual element) probe. Probes are available that essentially "focus"within various depth/wall thickness ranges so they are quite sensitive to interior surface corrosion pits. I recently bought a Dakota Ultrasonics MDX and am quite pleased with it, but there are several others that are probably just as good. I like to have an A-scan (time -amplitude display) and the ability to store setups and data that can be downloaded to a computer. The price depends on the number of features. Resolution of this type of gage is usualy +/- 0.001 inch or 0.01 mm. There is a good guide to selecting ultrasonic gages at www.ndtsupply.com-
---------- Start Original Message -----------
: Is there any instrument available as CORROSION METRE for checking corrosion in storage tanks etc. If anybody aware please send me the detail.

05:15 Aug-06-2008

bob sudharmin

Engineering, Reliability and Integrity Eng
Shell Malaysia Trading,
Malaysia,
Joined Jan 2008
Re: Corrosion Metre A simple procedure would be the use of corrosion coupon. A piece of metal of similar grade to the tank wall and floor, is immersed into the tank. A schedule frequency is set to retrieve the metal piece and measure the metal loss in between the frequency to determine the corrosion rate of tank internals.

----------- Start Original Message -----------

07:14 Aug-06-2008

Sang Kim

Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC,
USA,
Joined Feb 2008
Re: Corrosion Metre MsS equipment using ultrasonic guided waves is capable of detecting corrosion in plates of storage tanks. MsS guided wave probe allows for a time-saving, accurate inspection of large area with one probe installed. This guided-wave technique provides faster and more economical inspections. But it may require the secondary inspection with ordinary ultrasonic straight beam technique if big defects are found. For checking the performance of guided ultrasonic wave in finding corrosion defect in plates, please refer to this website (http://www.gwanalysis.com/plate_structure.html). The above ground storage tanks have the critical corrosion area close to the outside wall due to water leakage under the tank floor and the vertical structural loads. The guided wave technique allows the inspection of this critical area corrosion with MsS shear-horizontal wave probe installed on the bottom plate outside of the wall. The big merit is to eliminate the time-consuming and expensive process of draining the contents, removingsludge from the bottom, and cleaning the floor.

Thanks,

Sang
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: A simple procedure would be the use of corrosion coupon. A piece of metal of similar grade to the tank wall and floor, is immersed into the tank. A schedule frequency is set to retrieve the metal piece and measure the metal loss in between the frequency to determine the corrosion rate of tank internals.
: : Is there any instrument available as CORROSION METRE for checking corrosion in storage tanks etc. If anybody aware please send me the detail.

08:38 Aug-06-2008
G Bontekoe
re; corrosion metre Goutam, If your tank needs to be inspected to fullfill the API 653 requirements, you have 2 options.
Do an in service inspection using the InTank system. This will allow you to leave the product in the tank. This can save time and money and help on the HSE side of operations.
or you can do the traditional way; empty the tank, clean the tank, scan the floor with an MFl scanner, do a proof-up with UT and put the tank back into service.
We can do both options depending on your needs and requirements. Have a look at our website www.techcorr.com or contact our agent in India mohan.techcorr@gmail.com

09:26 Aug-06-2008
Simon Amallraja
Re: Corrosion Metre ----------- Start Original Message -----------

You can use an Ultrasonic Thickness Gage with A Scan display and B Scan mapping facility for your application. There are many manufacturers in the World with above combination.

Contact us, if you need any further details.

Simon

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|