where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Problem: detection of defects at soldered joint
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:58 Mar-23-2000
Peter Bergmann
Problem: detection of defects at soldered joint

Dear NDT experts,

could anybody give me information concerning the following NDT problem:
I have to detect defects in soldered, non ferromagnetic components with curved surfaces. The 0.1mm - defects (pore spaces) at the soldered joints are located in a depth of up to 5mm below the accessible surface.
A NDE method is required which is suitable for the integration in a manufacturing process. The concerning components vary very much in their shapes. So no scanning ultrasound or scanning eddy current method seems to be suitable.

Thank you very much

Thomas

05:37 Mar-23-2000
Hertlin
Re: Problem: detection of defects at soldered joint : Dear NDT experts,

: could anybody give me information concerning the following NDT problem:
: I have to detect defects in soldered, non ferromagnetic components with curved surfaces. The 0.1mm - defects (pore spaces) at the soldered joints are located in a depth of up to 5mm below the accessible surface.
: A NDE method is required which is suitable for the integration in a manufacturing process. The concerning components vary very much in their shapes. So no scanning ultrasound or scanning eddy current method seems to be suitable.

: Thank you very much

: Thomas

We have an alternative NDT method that may be suitable for such components: acoustic resonant testing. Necessary is that the part "sounds" when you hit it. Our resonant testing equipement is designed for in-process testing (decision typically less than one second!). Have a look on our home page or please send us more information about your part.
Best regards
Ingolf Hertlin

03:49 Mar-24-2000

Rod Martin

Sales,
NDT Equipment Sales Pty Limited,
Australia,
Joined Oct 1999

: I have to detect defects in soldered, non ferromagnetic components with curved surfaces. The 0.1mm - defects (pore spaces) at the soldered joints are located in a depth of up to 5mm below the accessible surface.
: A NDE method is required which is suitable for the integration in a manufacturing process. The concerning components vary very much in their shapes. So no scanning ultrasound or scanning eddy current method seems to be suitable.

Dear Ingolf,
Would suggest you consider Thermal Wave Imaging for you application. TWI is a method of injecting a low amount of heat into an object and grabbing the various frames throughout the cooling period. This is a quick methodology and can be applied to a manufacturing process. Should you care to send a sample with known defects, please contact me direct on the above email address.

Yours faithfully

Rod Martin

03:02 Mar-24-2000

J. Mark Davis

Teacher, And Consultant
University of Ultrasonics, Birmingham, Alabama,
USA,
Joined Mar 2000

Dear Thomas,

Have you considered microfocus digital radiograpy using geometric enlargement. If there are many parts high production is a must. This has great promise with imaging and geometric enlargement.

I have imaged solder joints from "film" to about .005 to .010 inches with no problem. And, I can see even smaller pores through contrast enhancement and enlargement to see the pores. Also, using color (based on density) to enhance evaluation allows accurate sizing of the pores.

If you can produce a radiograph of a solder joint and express mail to it me I will scan and digital enhance the radiograph to view the joints.

Will you be at the ASNT Conference in Birmingham, AL next week? I am the Host Chairman and I will be looking at some film for a petrochemical plant. I can scan your film that week.

Sincerely,

J. Mark Davis

03:46 Mar-24-2000

andy cunningham

Consultant, NDT/QA QC/R&D
ASNT,PCN,
Canada,
Joined Feb 2000

have you tryed x ray using 2 or 3 films in one cassette and view them laminated as one film. (theory is more silver, the more sensitive.
we had great success when u/t faild in inspecting aluminum bonded cooling fins.
there are more complex ut methods that was used on the JET's project in the UK, but that 50mm x75mm thick copper solderd joints. ut was my only option due to thickness. if it is possible could you be more specific
ithe more information the more help!

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|