where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
NDE/Inspection Twisted Heat Exchanger Tubes
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

GB Inspection Systems Ltd.

04:03 Aug-13-2008

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
NDE/Inspection Twisted Heat Exchanger Tubes

Does anyone have any experience, methods they can share for the examination of twisted tubes in twisted tube heat exchangers. Pasisng internal devices down the tubes seems a problem but wondered if anyone had tried long range UT or other methods.

08:46 Aug-14-2008

Ingo Becker

Engineering, NDT Inspector & Sales
ec-works GmbH,
Germany,
Joined Apr 2000
Re: NDE/Inspection Twisted Heat Exchanger Tubes Hello John,

I'm working in an eddy current service company and two years ago we have developed und used special designed probes for the inspection of a twisted tube heat exchanger (stainless steel tubes, OD 1 inch, about 6000 mm tube length). From our point of view is the proper internal cleaning of the tubes still the main problem.

Please contact me directly for further details.

00:24 Aug-14-2008

Thomas Vogt

R & D, - -
Guided Ultrasonics Ltd,
United Kingdom,
Joined Apr 2007
Re: NDE/Inspection Twisted Heat Exchanger Tubes John

we have on-site experience testing twisted tubes using our internal GWUT system. The key, as usual, is to get the theory right (as guided wave propagation is considerably different than in 'plain' tubes), but we have a pretty good handle on this. There are still some unknowns which need to be addressed (e.g. effect of fouling, types of defects and sensitivity to them), so it is not yet an off-the-shelf product. Let me know if you are interested to know more, I can send a case study.

Tom

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Does anyone have any experience, methods they can share for the examination of twisted tubes in twisted tube heat exchangers. Pasisng internal devices down the tubes seems a problem but wondered if anyone had tried long range UT or other methods.
------------ End Original Message ------------

06:27 Aug-15-2008

Sang Kim

Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC,
USA,
Joined Feb 2008
Re: NDE/Inspection Twisted Heat Exchanger Tubes John,

We proved that the long range UT using MsS Technology can find defects in twisted heat exchanger tubes. For the feasibility testing with MsS guided-wave system, Southwest Research Institute tested a twisted tube having four different types of defects: two circumferential grooves of 9- and 18-percent CSA, a notch of 5-percent CSA, and 0.125-inch-OD hole of 4-percent CSA. The operating frequencies of guided wave were 150 and 250 kHz. The MsS probe that covers the whole circumference (360 degree) of tube can generate and receive pure torsional mode with the same way as the long-range guided-wave inspection in pipe. All defects were clearly detected with high signal-to-noise (S/N) ratio. For checking the signal, its S/N ratio, and frequency response of data, please refer to this website (http://www.gwanalysis.com/heat_exchanger_tube.html) and then select ¡°Long-Range UT of Twisted Heat Exchanger Tube¡± at the bottom of the page. If anyone needs demonstration with MsS system, please contact me at skim@gwanalysis.com. Because the MsS system is also used for guided wave monitoring with excellent repeatability, we can reproduce the result any time!

Thanks,

Sang Kim

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: John
: we have on-site experience testing twisted tubes using our internal GWUT system. The key, as usual, is to get the theory right (as guided wave propagation is considerably different than in 'plain' tubes), but we have a pretty good handle on this. There are still some unknowns which need to be addressed (e.g. effect of fouling, types of defects and sensitivity to them), so it is not yet an off-the-shelf product. Let me know if you are interested to know more, I can send a case study.
: Tom
:
: : Does anyone have any experience, methods they can share for the examination of twisted tubes in twisted tube heat exchangers. Pasisng internal devices down the tubes seems a problem but wondered if anyone had tried long range UT or other methods.
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:44 Aug-17-2008

John O'Brien

Consultant, -
Chevron ETC ,
USA,
Joined Jan 2000
Re: NDE/Inspection Twisted Heat Exchanger Tubes To produce a summary for members on repsonses to this posting.

Thanks for the data from both Long Range UT Sources I already have the data from both SWRI and GUL. Both of these technologies show promise in limited trials but would require additional development work to confirm their application and reliability.

I also had some data from limited trials from an eddy current approach.

Summary appears to be at this time ther eis no confirmed reliable NDE approach and the problem requires R&D investment to provide a solution. We will now be considering our path forward.

Many thanks to those who took time to respond.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|