where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
MPI Equipment
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

IMASONIC SAS
IMASONIC offers custom solutions for single to serial productions of ultrasonic transducers for NDT including phased array.

03:02 Aug-24-2008
Ahmad Sawalha
MPI Equipment

Dear,

i would like to buy MPI kit, may i have help about issuing the suitable specifications for??
Knowing that i dealing with titanium, nickle, stainless steel, monel, and alumnium

Regards

03:47 Aug-24-2008

Godfrey Hands

Engineering,
PRI Nadcap,
United Kingdom,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: MPI Equipment
Dear Ahmad,
MPI equipment will only work on Ferromagnetic materials.
Titanium, Nickle, Stainless Steel, Monel and Aluminium CANNOT be tested with MPI.
You need to use Penetrant technique for that.
You also need to know the specification that you need to test to. This determines what penetrant materials and techniques are necessary.

Normally you would also need training and certification before starting any NDT. Any trained operator should know that MPI will not test the materials you mention in your message.
There are many NDT training sources, and I recommend that you investigate one near to you.
Regards,

Godfrey Hands

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear,
: i would like to buy MPI kit, may i have help about issuing the suitable specifications for??
: Knowing that i dealing with titanium, nickle, stainless steel, monel, and alumnium
: Regards
------------ End Original Message ------------

00:36 Aug-25-2008
Navita
Re: MPI Equipment Dear Ahmad,
In continuation to what Mr. Godfrey Hands wrote, with PT you can detect only surface breaking defects. For the materials you have written, You can use Eddy current for surface/ sub surface upto 4mm and Ultrasonics for volumetric analysis.
Kindly revert for clarifications.
----------- Start Original Message -----------
:
: Dear Ahmad,
: MPI equipment will only work on Ferromagnetic materials.
: Titanium, Nickle, Stainless Steel, Monel and Aluminium CANNOT be tested with MPI.
: You need to use Penetrant technique for that.
: You also need to know the specification that you need to test to. This determines what penetrant materials and techniques are necessary.
: Normally you would also need training and certification before starting any NDT. Any trained operator should know that MPI will not test the materials you mention in your message.
: There are many NDT training sources, and I recommend that you investigate one near to you.
: Regards,
: Godfrey Hands
: : Dear,
: : i would like to buy MPI kit, may i have help about issuing the suitable specifications for??
: : Knowing that i dealing with titanium, nickle, stainless steel, monel, and alumnium
: : Regards
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|