where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Steven
Steven
06:53 Aug-29-2008
NDTesting of a mechanical connection: Options?

Hi,

I am a mechanical engineer but fairly new to the field of NDT. The problem I am facing is that I need to verify a mechanical connection of one tube press-fitted into another tube.

Currently I am looking at using mechanical vibrations to verify whether they are well connected. When I excite the structure at resonance frequency and measure the respons at a given point, harmonic distortion can give me an idea whether this is well fixed or not. A lot of harmonic distortion means a non-linear contact, hence a bad press-fit. Low harmonic content tells me the system behaves lineary, and thus we can asume good contact and a good press-fit.

This technique can be used I think, but I was wondering whether there are some alternative techniques to solve these kind of problems ?

Thank you,
Steven

Sang Kim
Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC, USA, Joined Feb 2008, 44

Sang Kim

Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC,
USA,
Joined Feb 2008
00:01 Aug-30-2008
Re: NDTesting of a mechanical connection: Options?

Hello Steven,

Yes, you can use long-range guided wave to find the status of connection. Because the MsS guided wave uses from 4 to 250 kHz ultrasonic guided wave, the testing at 3 or 4 frequencies gives you the status of mechanical connection of one tube press-fitted into another tube. If the mechanical connection is strong, the guided wave is reflected at the connection at from low to high frequency. If the mechanical connection is weak, the guided wave at low frequency (less than 100 kHz) generates signal at the connection point, but the guided wave at high frequency (higher than 100 kHz) does not show reflection at the connection point. For detail information please go to this website (http://www.gwanalysis.com/guided-wave-inspection.html) and click on the high frequency application of guided wave (http://www.gwanalysis.com/example-high-frequency-operation.pdf) at the bottom of the page.

Thanks,

Sang

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi,
: I am a mechanical engineer but fairly new to the field of NDT. The problem I am facing is that I need to verify a mechanical connection of one tube press-fitted into another tube.
: Currently I am looking at using mechanical vibrations to verify whether they are well connected. When I excite the structure at resonance frequency and measure the respons at a given point, harmonic distortion can give me an idea whether this is well fixed or not. A lot of harmonic distortion means a non-linear contact, hence a bad press-fit. Low harmonic content tells me the system behaves lineary, and thus we can asume good contact and a good press-fit.
: This technique can be used I think, but I was wondering whether there are some alternative techniques to solve these kind of problems ?
: Thank you,
: Steven
------------ End Original Message ------------

skim
Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC, USA, Joined Feb 2008, 44

skim

Consultant, NDT Trainer
Guided Wave Analysis LLC,
USA,
Joined Feb 2008
06:12 Sep-02-2008
hello
i have practical experienced so when i see practically i can solve this problem

Steven
Steven
01:07 Sep-03-2008
The idea would be to measure the stability of a metal implant in bone. Idealized this would be a tube-in a tube mechanical connection.

Thanks
Steven

: hello
: i have practical experienced so when i see practically i can solve this problem
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

iProbe - USB Phased Array Probe

Turn your PC, Laptop or Tablet into a powerful 32:64 Phased Array system with our USB powered Phas
ed Array iProbe and inspection software package. Perform affordable weld inspection and corrosion mapping inspections with this powerful but small system. The probe has a 100V pulser, 8K PRF, dual axis encoder input and achieves outstanding signal quality.
>

Research Center IDEKO develops an ultrasonic train wheel inspection system for CAF

The Basque Research centre IK4-IDEKO has developed a state-of-the-art ultrasonic inspection system f
or the train wheel. This system secures a sound condition of train wheels and is thus a significant contribution to rail transport safety. The device was delivered to CAF recently and its use allows the manufacturer to become an approved supplier of rolling stock in Italy, as it meets the demanding homologation standards of this country. \\\\r\\\\n
>

EKOSCAN Phased Array

In order to always fit your needs, EKOSCAN can manufacture any type of UT transducer, either convent
ional or Phased Array. As an ISO 9001: 2015 certified company, EKOSCAN is extremely careful as far a material selection and manufacturing processes are concerned. Our probes guarantee our customers the benefits of latest innovations regarding piezo-composite, backing, impedance adaptation layer, etc. Specific probes for hostile environment: high temperature, high pressure, corrosive environment,etc. Specific probes designed to fit your specific application: optimization of every parameter to guarantee you the best detection.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window