where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
killing rate(PRF) in automated ut
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

02:29 Sep-16-2008
Anderson
killing rate(PRF) in automated ut

Hi everybody. I would like to know some information about killing rate or firing rate (PRF) related to A-Scan automated ut. Could someone help me?
Thanks.

08:45 Sep-16-2008

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: killing rate(PRF) in automated ut Anderson:
I have never heard of PRF being called "killing rate" where is this term from?
PRF or pulse-repetition-frequency can have several meanings now that we have multi-channel and phased array systems.
In the old single channel units it was simply the number of times the probe was pulsed per second.
When we added multiple probes in a multiplexed system the pulse was initiated by a trigger so the system clock then had to move from channel to channel, triggering each in turn. That meant that the "prf" set by the system clock was not the same as the pulse repetition frequency of each probe but was instead the clock rate. But there are variations on this too. When averaging is used there may be multiple firings of the same probe (for one channel) before the next probe is addressed. Again in this case, the system clock rate would be considered the "prf" in the older technology. In phased array systems the system clock rate "generally" initiates a focal law which is composed of several pulsers firing elements in close order.
Different manufacturers now have different terms for the sequencing of the pulses (acquisition rate, recurance rate, cascade rate, etc.). For the specifics of any one system and how it works you may want to discuss the specifications with the manufacturer.
Regards
Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi everybody. I would like to know some information about killing rate or firing rate (PRF) related to A-Scan automated ut. Could someone help me?
: Thanks.
------------ End Original Message ------------

07:51 Sep-17-2008

Rafal Mis

Sales, - Technical Support
Olympus Poland,
Poland,
Joined Sep 2008
Re: killing rate(PRF) in automated ut ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Hi everybody. I would like to know some information about killing rate or firing rate (PRF) related to A-Scan automated ut. Could someone help me?
: Thanks.
------------ End Original Message ------------

If you ment number of times the probe was pulsed per second: pulse-repetition-frequency, contact me if you need high repetition frequency in automated UT.
Kind regards,
Rafal

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|