where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
ASME Calibration block for piping
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

01:52 Oct-05-2008
Varghese
ASME Calibration block for piping

For UT shear wave weld inspection of Circumferential joints on piping( OD less than 20"), is it necessary to have curved calibration blocks for DAC? Shall we use the the basic calibration block given in ASME ,T-434.2?

05:05 Oct-05-2008

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: ASME Calibration block for piping Varghese
Please go back to ASME Sec V Art 4 para 434.1.7 where you read about the Materials With Diameters Greater than 20 inch. That paragraph (T-434.1.7) is titled Block Curvature (Except for Piping).
The provision to use a flat plate is NOT part of the Piping Calibration Block options!

For Piping, you go to T-434.3 where you read that you must use a section of pipe of the same nominal size and schedule.

Ed

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: For UT shear wave weld inspection of Circumferential joints on piping( OD less than 20"), is it necessary to have curved calibration blocks for DAC? Shall we use the the basic calibration block given in ASME ,T-434.2?
------------ End Original Message ------------

06:22 Oct-06-2008

N.Kuppusamy

Consultant, NDT Level-III Engineer
Advanced Inspection & Testing (S) Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Dec 2003
Re: ASME Calibration block for piping Yes, It is required to make ID and OD notch block from the pipe of same material if your referencing code is ASME Sec.V. The usable range of the block is 0.9Diameter to 1.5Diameter of calibration block.

Flat block with SDH is acceptable if you use BSEN or AS and RP2X (for tubular structural welds)

Rgds,

nksamy

: For UT shear wave weld inspection of Circumferential joints on piping( OD less than 20"), is it necessary to have curved calibration blocks for DAC? Shall we use the the basic calibration block given in ASME ,T-434.2?

02:38 Oct-06-2008

Ed Ginzel

R & D, -
Materials Research Institute,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: ASME Calibration block for piping Mr Kuppusamy:
Please note the reference to Art 4 in my previous reply on this thread!!
The block curvature table in Fig T-434.1.7.2 is referenced from the section T-434.1.7 where it states Block Curvature EXCEPT FOR PIPING!

There is no such povision of 0,9-1,5 diameters for Piping. You read in T-434.3 the reqquirements for the Piping calibration blocks. There it states you SHALL use a section of pipe of the same size and schedule. In regards to pipe in this case SIZE means diameter! So you MAY NOT use a different diameter pipe.

Regards

: Yes, It is required to make ID and OD notch block from the pipe of same material if your referencing code is ASME Sec.V. The usable range of the block is 0.9Diameter to 1.5Diameter of calibration block.
: Flat block with SDH is acceptable if you use BSEN or AS and RP2X (for tubular structural welds)
: Rgds,
: nksamy
: : For UT shear wave weld inspection of Circumferential joints on piping( OD less than 20"), is it necessary to have curved calibration blocks for DAC? Shall we use the the basic calibration block given in ASME ,T-434.2?

04:08 Oct-06-2008

N.Kuppusamy

Consultant, NDT Level-III Engineer
Advanced Inspection & Testing (S) Pte Ltd,
Singapore,
Joined Dec 2003
Re: ASME Calibration block for piping Ed Ginzel,

Yes, you are correct. I refered wrong paragraph of Article-4 regarding the useful range.

Regards,

nks

: : Flat block with SDH is acceptable if you use BSEN or AS and RP2X (for tubular structural welds)
: : Rgds,
: : nksamy
: : : For UT shear wave weld inspection of Circumferential joints on piping( OD less than 20"), is it necessary to have curved calibration blocks for DAC? Shall we use the the basic calibration block given in ASME ,T-434.2?

03:42 May-17-2016

sibu

NDT Inspector,
contractor staff at punj lloyd ltd,
India,
Joined Mar 2016
Re: ASME Calibration block for piping In Reply to Ed Ginzel at 02:38 Oct-06-2008 .

I have one doubt, my question is why ASME sec telling choose curvature with limit of 0.9 to 1.5
And depends upon which one they are taking this 0.9 to 1.5 , why we can't go beyond this limit , I need reason for taking that limit
I hope u understood my point of view...
By
Sibu.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|