where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
Ultrasonic Standard Reference Blocks
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

Matec Instrument Companies, Inc.
Ultrasonic test instrumentation and systems for scientific research, quality control inspection and production testing applications.

01:29 Oct-15-2008

Giorgio Pozzi

Engineering
Italy,
Joined Oct 2008
Ultrasonic Standard Reference Blocks

We are using standard reference blocks to perform periodic check of our ultrasonic test instruments. These standard blocks are built according to ASTM E127 and ASTM E317 standards. My question is about the period of validity of this kind of blocks. I would like to know if there is any standard which establishes a period of time for the life of these blocks and the actions to be perfomed at the end of this period such as a verification of the block or purchasing of a new one.
Thank you for your help.

04:51 Oct-15-2008

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: Ultrasonic Standard Reference Blocks As one of the companies that sell such blocks, we do not set any time limit on their use, and I am not aware of any standard that calls for recertification although perhaps some customers have established their own. Since the block certification is based on the quality of the metal used and the geometry of the drilled reference hole, there is nothing that will change over time, at least on a human scale! Flat bottom hole reference blocks will last for decades if you treat them gently. The only plausible way in which they could vary over time would be due to severe wear on the coupling surface, which should not happen in normal use. If a block was damaged by rough treatment, it would be visible to the eye, and in such cases the block should probably be retired.

08:17 Oct-15-2008

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
Re: Ultrasonic Standard Reference Blocks Tom,

You've hit the nail on the head. Throughout my career, I've seen so many shop where these blocks have been abused. The things that just floor me is that I grew up in NDT with the notion the cleanliness was next to Godliness and as such, to treat your tools with respect. The end results of our inspection depend greatly in the quality and accuracy that we start with. And to think that technician don't understand why sometimes employer are reluctant to give them a better rate of pay!!! Now we know why (not true in all cases, but surely in many). In the end someone has to pay for this and where is it come from?

Cherrio's

Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: As one of the companies that sell such blocks, we do not set any time limit on their use, and I am not aware of any standard that calls for recertification although perhaps some customers have established their own. Since the block certification is based on the quality of the metal used and the geometry of the drilledreference hole, there is nothing that will change over time, at least on a human scale! Flat bottom hole reference blocks will last for decades if you treat them gently. The only plausible way in which they could vary over time would be due to severe wear on the coupling surface, which should not happen in normal use. If a block was damaged by rough treatment, it would be visible to the eye, and in such cases the block should probably be retired.
------------ End Original Message ------------

00:20 Oct-16-2008
Navita Gupta
Re: Ultrasonic Standard Reference Blocks Dear Giorgio Pozzi
As long as your reference calibration blocks give you standard results with calibrated equipments, you can keep using the same reference blocks.
Navita
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: We are using standard reference blocks to perform periodic check of our ultrasonic test instruments. These standard blocks are built according to ASTM E127 and ASTM E317 standards. My question is about the period of validity of this kind of blocks. I would like to know if there is any standard which establishes a period of time for the life of these blocks and the actions to be perfomed at the end of this period such as a verification of the block or purchasing of a new one.
: Thank you for your help.
------------ End Original Message ------------

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|