where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT on Francis Turbine
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

07:07 Apr-30-2000
Shawn Hanrahan
UT on Francis Turbine

I am looking for suggestions and possible problems on inspection of a francis turbine runner by UT. It is a cast steel material of approx 3" thick with a keyed out area near the periphry which is tapered down to 1.25". I am looking for information from people who may have inspected heavy castings in the past or turbines and possible problems they may have had or suggestions on how to proceed. There is not a piece of material available either of similar properties to make a calibration block out of. To see what a turbine looks like go to http://www.lecad.uni-lj.si/~kolsek/magisterij-anglescina/magisterij-anglescina.html , the brown area on the picture at the top of the page is the band, the red the blades and the blue the crown. The inspection is to be carried out on 20" in from the edge of the band along the curved surface. The diameter of the runner is 19 feet.

07:23 Apr-30-2000

Leif Jeppesen

R & D
FORCE Technology,
Denmark,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT on Francis Turbine An automated ultrasonic inspection can be performed using the P-scan system in standard imaging mode (2D) see www.p-scan.com, or for a more complete analysis using the UltraSIM (see www.ultrasim.com) ad on for real 3D analysis directly on the CAD model of the object.

: I am looking for suggestions and possible problems on inspection of a francis turbine runner by UT. It is a cast steel material of approx 3" thick with a keyed out area near the periphry which is tapered down to 1.25". I am looking for information from people who may have inspected heavy castings in the past or turbines and possible problems they may have had or suggestions on how to proceed. There is not a piece of material available either of similar properties to make a calibration block out of. To see what a turbine looks like go to http://www.lecad.uni-lj.si/~kolsek/magisterij-anglescina/magisterij-anglescina.html , the brown area on the picture at the top of the page is the band, the red the blades and the blue the crown. Theinspection is to be carried out on 20" in from the edge of the band along the curved surface. The diameter of the runner is 19 feet.

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|