where expertise comes together - since 1996

Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)
Open Access Database (Conference Proceedings, Articles, News), Exhibition, Forum, Network

All Forum Boards
Technical Discussions >
UT for below 8mm thk
Career Discussions
Job Offers
Job Seeks
Classified Ads
About NDT.net
Articles & News

04:03 Oct-25-2008

gowri santhosh

NDT Inspector,
Royscan engineering pte ltd,
Singapore,
Joined May 2008
UT for below 8mm thk

hi, this is santhosh
please tell me about UT for below 8mm thickness with reference code. thanks for reply.

07:46 Oct-25-2008
Ed T.
Re: UT for below 8mm thk ----------- Start Original Message -----------
: hi, this is santhosh
: please tell me about UT for below 8mm thickness with reference code. thanks for reply.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Please provide more details. MAnual or automated UT? What type of material.

07:23 Oct-26-2008
NEELA
: please tell me about UT for below 8mm thickness with reference code. thanks for reply.

As per AWS D 1.1 you cannot peform UT below 8mm thickness It require client acceptance and special calibration block required

03:55 Oct-27-2008

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT for below 8mm thk If AWS code compliance is required, that is an issue, however there is no inherent physics reason why you can't perform angle beam flaw detection, straight beam flaw detection, or ultrasonic thickness gaging on thinner metal. With proper transducers and appropriate setup on appropriate reference standards, you can obtain useful information.

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: As per AWS D 1.1 you cannot peform UT below 8mm thickness It require client acceptance and special calibration block required

06:12 Oct-27-2008

David Harvey

Engineering
ATI - Wah Chang,
USA,
Joined Nov 2002
: If AWS code compliance is required, that is an issue, however there is no inherent physics reason why you can't perform angle beam flaw detection, straight beam flaw detection, or ultrasonic thickness gaging on thinner metal. With proper transducers and appropriate setup on appropriate reference standards, you can obtain useful information.
:
: : As per AWS D 1.1 you cannot peform UT below 8mm thickness It require client acceptance and special calibration block required

If near-surface resolution is a concern, material this thin can be a tough one. You can find yourself in a spot where you will need to resort to a through transmission type of test, which won't much care about surface resolution.

06:54 Oct-27-2008

Tom Nelligan

Engineering,
retired,
USA,
Joined Nov 1998
Re: UT for below 8mm thk Good near surface resolution is a function of transducer selection as well as test material properties. For straight beam testing or thickness gaging in steel, a 20 MHz broadband transducer -- within the bandwidth of most portable flaw detectors -- will typically resolve reflectors within 0.5 mm of the contact surface, and a 10 MHz broadband transducer will typically get within 1 mm or better. But if you don't have a high frequency transducer available, I agree that there will be limitations. It's just a question of using an optimum transducer and instrument setup.

:: If near-surface resolution is a concern, material this thin can be a tough one. You can find yourself in a spot where you will need to resort to a through transmission type of test, which won't much care about surface resolution.

08:09 Oct-29-2008
JK
Re: UT for below 8mm thk Hi,

Though there are some codes which allow UT to be carried out above 6 mm.

Using a 4Mhz transducer(8x9 mm) preferebly 70,80 degree krautkrammer probes & increasing the skip to 1-2 skip .

The best way to do is take a mock-up peice of the thickness of the weld you are going to test . A notch on the root and on the crown of the weld would be used as reference.

Anything more on this please contact me

Regards
J.K

06:13 Oct-30-2008
NEELA
Re: UT for below 8mm thk Dear J.K.
Please mention the code ,It will help forum member to discuss further
Thanks
: Hi,
: Though there are some codes which allow UT to be carried out above 6 mm.
: Using a 4Mhz transducer(8x9 mm) preferebly 70,80 degree krautkrammer probes & increasing the skip to 1-2 skip .
: The best way to do is take a mock-up peice of the thickness of the weld you are going to test . A notch on the root and on the crown of the weld would be used as reference.
: Anything more on this please contact me
: Regards
: J.K

08:08 Nov-04-2008

chris s

Consultant, qc manager
USA,
Joined Apr 2007

I would suggest that you contact a level III who is knowledgeable in regards to phased array, make appropriate mock-ups and test your techs accordingly

© NDT.net - The Web's Largest Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT) ISSN 1435-4934

Open Access Database, |Conference Proceedings| |Articles| |News| |Exhibition| |Forum| |Professional Network|