where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Vallen-Systeme GmbH
The Acoustic Emission Company! Since 1987 Vallen stands for competence and continuity in AE and for reliable business cooperation and support.

Technical Discussions
Daphne Turnock
Daphne Turnock
05:42 May-15-2000
Ultrasound in ceramic pipes

I am trying to monitor small diameter old ceramic sewer pipes
from the inside using ultrasound,to look for cracks in the pipes
and voids around the pipes that could lead to collapse.
I have been told by ultrasound experts whose advice I have sought
that this is impossible and that others have tried and failed.

I can't find any papers describing attempts--maybe because
of the lack of success.
Can anybody help with references please?

Uli Mletzko
R & D, Retired
Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 89

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
05:50 May-15-2000
Re: Ultrasound in ceramic pipes
: I am trying to monitor small diameter old ceramic sewer pipes
: from the inside using ultrasound,to look for cracks in the pipes
: and voids around the pipes that could lead to collapse.
: I have been told by ultrasound experts whose advice I have sought
: that this is impossible and that others have tried and failed.
:
: I can't find any papers describing attempts--maybe because
: of the lack of success.
: Can anybody help with references please?

Uli Mletzko
R & D, Retired
Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 89

Uli Mletzko

R & D, Retired
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
05:59 May-15-2000
: I am trying to monitor small diameter old ceramic sewer pipes
: from the inside using ultrasound,to look for cracks in the pipes

It might be possible to find flaws in the wall region of the pipes, using immersion technique from inside the pipes.

: and voids around the pipes

There will be a very large sound impedance mismatch between the ceramic material of the pipes and the surrounding ground (soil or sand or gravel or rocks). So almost no sound will pass from the ceramic wall to the surrounding ground. To find voids outside the pipe therefore should not be possible.

Regards
Uli Mletzko
State Materials Testing Institute (MPA)
University of Stuttgart, Germany

Trevor Easton
Engineering
Dofasco Inc, Canada, Joined Nov 1998, 13

Trevor Easton

Engineering
Dofasco Inc,
Canada,
Joined Nov 1998
06:30 May-15-2000
:
: I have been told by ultrasound experts whose advice I have sought
: that this is impossible and that others have tried and failed.

As another posted, it is unlikely that ultrasound will provide the results you need.
Another possibility is MIR (Ground Penetrating Radar) There is perhaps a GPR Head that could be passed along your pipes to detect voids.
The crack detection may not be so easy. Can you apply a slight depression to the pipe and listen for the ultrasonics generated by incoming air?

khairul
khairul
02:17 Oct-11-2002
i m a final year student , doing my thesis on NDT for ceramic material. I have problem in determing the velocity of desined cracks ..any sugesstion?

Product Spotlight

Immersion systems

ScanMaster ultrasonic immersion systems are designed for high throughput, multi shift operation in a
n industrial or lab environment. These fully integrated systems provide various scanning configurations and incorporate conventional and phased arrays technologies to support diverse applications, such as inspection of disks, bars, shafts, billets and plates. All of ScanMaster immersion systems are built from high accuracy scanning frames allowing for scanning of complex parts and include a multi-channel ultrasonic instrument with exceptional performance. The systems are approved by all major manufacturers for C-scan inspection of jet engine forged discs. Together with a comprehensive set of software modules these flexible series of systems provide the customer with the best price performance solutions.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

Cygnus 6+ PRO Multi-Mode Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge

The Cygnus 6+ PRO thickness gauge is the most advance gauge within the Cygnus range with key featu
res including: comprehensive data logging; A-scan and B-scan display; manual gain control; Bluetooth connectivity; and much more. With its unique dual display and three measuring modes (Multiple-Echo, Echo-Echo and Single-Echo), this surface thickness gauge offers maximum versatility for inspections.
>

Semi-Automated Phased Array Immersion System for Small Composite Parts

Turn-key semi-automated system as an improved and affordable solution for inspection of small comp
osite parts. Includes support table, immersion tank, scanner, PA instrument, PC, Analysis software, database, wedge management and other options.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s