where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -
Technical Discussions
farabirazy
farabirazy
06:05 Nov-29-2008
Urgent- ToFD for Steam Reformer Tube

Dear Gentlemen,

Does anyone ever involve in research of ToFD for Cast austenitic stainless steel used as ammonia reformer tube? I tried to detect artificial defect in IN 519 material, but I can not distinguish the backwall signal. Can anyone explain why and what should I do to detect the defect in this material by using ToFD? As FYI, I used 2.25 MHz ToFD transducer. Is there any commercial ToFD transducer with frequency below 2.25 MHz?

Please help me...

Sincerely Yours,

Abi

Michel Couture
NDT Inspector,
consultant, Canada, Joined Sep 2006, 851

Michel Couture

NDT Inspector,
consultant,
Canada,
Joined Sep 2006
00:10 Nov-30-2008
Re: Urgent- ToFD for Steam Reformer Tube
Abi,

The frequency you are using is too high. ASTM A388 para 8.2.1 states that the prefered frequency for coarse grain austenitic materials is 1 MHz and that in many instances it may be necessary to use a frequency of 0.4 MHz. I know that ASTM A388 is for Ultrasonic Examination of Heavy Steel Forgings, but the reason for freqyency selection doesn't change. You are dealing with a very coarse grain structure and you need to lower your frequency..

Hope this will help.

Cheerio's
Michel

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Dear Gentlemen,
: Does anyone ever involve in research of ToFD for Cast austenitic stainless steel used as ammonia reformer tube? I tried to detect artificial defect in IN 519 material, but I can not distinguish the backwall signal. Can anyone explain why and what should I do to detect the defect in this material by using ToFD? As FYI, I used 2.25 MHz ToFD transducer. Is there any commercial ToFD transducer with frequency below 2.25 MHz?
: Please help me...
: Sincerely Yours,
: Abi
------------ End Original Message ------------

Ed T.
Ed T.
09:53 Dec-02-2008
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: Abi,
: The frequency you are using is too high. ASTM A388 para 8.2.1 states that the prefered frequency for coarse grain austenitic materials is 1 MHz and that in many instances it may be necessary to use a frequency of 0.4 MHz. I know that ASTM A388 is for Ultrasonic Examination of Heavy Steel Forgings, but the reason for freqyency selection doesn't change. You are dealing with a very coarse grain structure and you need to lower your frequency..
: Hope this will help.
: Cheerio's
: Michel
: : Dear Gentlemen,
: : Does anyone ever involve in research of ToFD for Cast austenitic stainless steel used as ammonia reformer tube? I tried to detect artificial defect in IN 519 material, but I can not distinguish the backwall signal. Can anyone explain why and what should I do to detect the defect in this material by using ToFD? As FYI, I used 2.25 MHz ToFD transducer. Is there any commercial ToFD transducer with frequency below 2.25 MHz?
: :Please help me...
: : Sincerely Yours,
: : Abi
------------ End Original Message ------------
Michel is correct. You need to use a 1.0 MHz. Ducer. But it also needs to be a dual focused probe focused for the thickness you are examining with a refracted longitudinal wave mode..
But it can be done.
I would also recomend the use of a UT scope with a strong pulser. That material is tough and some of the grains can be as big as your calibraton reflectors.

jaidev
jaidev
13:21 Nov-23-2012
In Reply to farabirazy at 06:05 Nov-29-2008 (Opening).

any success using 1MHz probe

Product Spotlight

Conformable wedge transducer

The conformability is obtained with a flexible membrane filled with water between the transducer and
the inspected component. The coupling between the membrane and the component requires a small quantity of water or couplant. The conformable wedge combines the acoustic performance of immersion technique with good coupling and low attenuation.
>

Teletest Focus+

Teletest Focus+ electronics have superior capabilities than rivals on the market. Beyond the usual
test features, Focus+ has 24 transmit channels and 24 receive channels, with an additional on-board switching capabilities. The instrument's frequency range is 10–300 kHz.
>

IntraPhase Athena Phased Array System

The Athena Phased Array system, manufactured by WesDyne NDE Products & Technology, consists of a pha
sed array acquisition system and PC running IntraSpect software. A PC is used to perform acquisition, analysis and storage of the data. System hardware is capable of operating up to four data sets with any combination of phased array or conventional UT probes. NOW AVAILABLE IN 64-64 CONFIGURATION.
>

YXLON Cougar EVO

Scalable small footprint X-ray inspection systems for assembly and laboratory applications. The
YXLON Cougar EVO series was designed to provide the "best-in- class" inspection solutions for SMT, semiconductor, and laboratory assembly applications, while maintaining a small system footprint for maximum convenience. With optimized software and hardware, these systems produce higher quality and more consistent results than other electronics inspection systems currently on the market.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window