where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ULTRASOUND INSTITUTE
The Ultrasound Institute can develop new advanced ultrasonic measurement, imaging and NDT techniques for non-conventional applications.

Technical Discussions
XiangYan
XiangYan
06:41 Dec-02-2008
equivalent wedge delay calculation in DGS curves

According to EN583-2, when plotting the DGS curves for angle beam transducer, there is an equivalent wedge delay that added to the steel path, which is:
equivalent wedge delay=wedge path*Cwedge/Csteel.

I am not sure of the derivation of this formula, but if I use the equal phase method, I got:
equivalent wedge delay=wedge path*Csteel/Cwedge.

Does anyone look into this problem? I don't know which answer is correct.

Thanks!
Xiang Yan

Gerhard Splitt
R & D, -
Private, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 38

Gerhard Splitt

R & D, -
Private,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
08:00 Dec-02-2008
Re: equivalent wedge delay calculation in DGS curves
----------- Start Original Message -----------
: According to EN583-2, when plotting the DGS curves for angle beam transducer, there is an equivalent wedge delay that added to the steel path, which is:
: equivalent wedge delay=wedge path*Cwedge/Csteel.
: I am not sure of the derivation of this formula, but if I use the equal phase method, I got:
: equivalent wedge delay=wedge path*Csteel/Cwedge.
: Does anyone look into this problem? I don't know which answer is correct.
: Thanks!
: Xiang Yan
------------ End Original Message ------------

Hi Xiang,
the first formula, equivalent wedge delay=wedge path*Cwedge/Csteel, is the correct one. We are looking for the near field equivalent of the wedge length. As the sound velocity v stands in the denominator of the Near field length calculation N=D^2*f/4v, the near field length in the plastic wedge is bigger than in steel, meaning that the near field equivalent part of the wedge in steel is shorter than the mechanical length of the wedge.
The other formula, equivalent wedge delay=wedge path*Csteel/Cwedge, is for calculation of the steel equivalent time of flight of the wedge.

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 174

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
08:56 Dec-03-2008
Re: equivalent wedge delay calculation in DGS curves
reply:

European Standard EN 583-2:2001 (Ultrasonic testing - Part 2: Sensitivity and range setting) in Annex D gives information on the principles how to use the general DGS diagram:
Distance D in the general DGS diagram is normalised by the nearfield length of the probe used. But nearfield length is material dependent. It is direct proportional to frequency and inverse proportional to sound velocity of the material.
If the sound has to travel through different materials, the sound path fragments in all the materials involved have to be normalized by their individual nearfield length, or equivalent sound path fragments have to be summed up and divided by a single reference nearfield length (reference material = material to be tested), e.g. for mild steel and transverse waves.
This is described in equations D.1 and D.2 of EN 583-2:
The equivalent sound path, sdelay, in a delay block (wedge) is given by ldelay * (vdelay/vref), where ldelay is the real delay length and vdelay and vref are the respective sound velocities.

Best regards

Udo Schlengermann
Convener of CEN/TC138/WG2 (in charge of EN 583-*)

----------- Start Original Message -----------
: : According to EN583-2, when plotting the DGS curves for angle beam transducer, there is an equivalent wedge delay that added to the steel path, which is:
: : equivalent wedge delay=wedge path*Cwedge/Csteel.
: : I am not sure of the derivation of this formula, but if I use the equal phase method, I got:
: : equivalent wedge delay=wedge path*Csteel/Cwedge.
: : Does anyone look into this problem? I don't know which answer is correct.
: : Thanks!
: : Xiang Yan
: Hi Xiang,
: the first formula, equivalent wedge delay=wedge path*Cwedge/Csteel, is the correct one. We are looking for the near field equivalent of the wedge length. As the sound velocity v stands in the denominator of the Near field length calculation N=D^2*f/4v, the near field length in the plastic wedge is bigger than in steel, meaning that the near field equivalent part of the wedge in steel is shorter than the mechanical length of the wedge.
: The other formula, equivalent wedge delay=wedge path*Csteel/Cwedge, is for calculation of the steel equivalent time of flight of the wedge.
------------ End Original Message ------------

Product Spotlight

NozzleScan: Radial nozzle scanner with probe skew

NozzleScan is a versatile manual scanning solution developed for the inspection of nozzle welds in
both set-through and set-on configurations. Available in both two-axis and three-axis instrument configurations and adaptable to cover a wide range of 90-degree nozzle sizes, from 3" upwards, on ferritic and austenitic materials.The transducer skew axis can also be adjusted, encoded and locked.
>

Ultrasonic tomograph for imaging of concrete structures А1040 MIRA

Applicable for concrete inspection allowing imaging of the internal structure of objects from conc
rete, reinforced concrete, different stones. The operation applies pulse-echo technique at one-side access to the object. The instrument is feasible for concrete inspection for searching conduct ducts, conduits, detection of foreign inclusions, holes, honeycombing, cracks and other concrete defects.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Echomac® PA Rail Wheel Tester

MAC introduces two versions of Rail Wheel Testers using ECHOMAC® PA platform based on customer requ
irements.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window
s