where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

ACS-Solutions GmbH
develop and manufacture hi-tech devices for Ultrasonic Testing
Technical Discussions
Joseph Batt
Joseph Batt
04:28 Jun-02-2000
TOFD

During measurements, is the probes distance so important?
I have found a formula:distance=2/3*2*c*tan a
c=velocity of longitudinal wave
a=angle of the probe

Is that correct?
In some books it is also said that it is better to do measurements
at two different distances between the probes.
Anyway, I find it very difficult to interpret data from the A scan.
I would appreciate if someone could give me some informations.
Thank you.

Joseph Batt

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 178

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
02:23 Jun-05-2000
Re: TOFD
ls are weak, and TOFD uses (non rectified) Rf-signals, so interpretation of a single TOFD-A-scan makes no sense.
TOFD results of a lot of A-Scans have to be compiled in a B-Scan image.
In this B-Scan image the human eye can easily detect areas with irregularities.
Because of the wide beams used the images do not show the real shape of the irregularity. The pattern has to be interpreted. Only the points of minimum time-of-flight give some idea of the extension of the irregularity.

Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
: During measurements, is the probes distance so important?
: I have found a formula:distance=2/3*2*c*tan a
: c=velocity of longitudinal wave
: a=angle of the probe

: Is that correct?
: In some books it is also said that it is better to do measurements
: at two different distances between the probes.
: Anyway, I find it very difficult to interpret data from the A scan.
: I would appreciate if someone could give me some informations.
: Thank you.

: Joseph Batt

Product Spotlight

GEKKO - Portable Phased Array Testing with TFM in Real-Time

The portable phased array testing system GEKKO provides 64 parallel test channels. On creating testi
ng parameters the operator is assisted by the CIVA software. Due to its modular set-up the GEKKO instrument is suitable for operators of all skill levels.
>

FD800 Bench Top Flaw Detectors

The bench-top FD800 flaw detector range combines state-of-the-art flaw detection with advanced mater
ial thickness capabilities. Designed for use in the laboratory these gauges are the tool you need for all your flaw detecting needs.
>

Lyft™: Pulsed Eddy Current Reinvented

PEC Reinvented—CUI Programs Redefined Corrosion under insulation (CUI) is possibly the greatest u
nresolved asset integrity problem in the industry. Current methods for measuring wall thickness with liftoff, without removing insulation, all have severe limitations. Eddyfi introduces Lyft — a reinvented, high-performance pulsed eddy current (PEC) solution. The patent- pending system features a state-of-the-art portable instrument, real- time C-scan imaging, fast data acquisition with grid-mapping and dynamic scanning modes, and flexibility with long cables. It can also scan through thick metal and insulation, as well as aluminum, stainless steel, and galvanized steel weather jackets. Who else but Eddyfi to reinvent an eddy current technique and redefine CUI programs. Got Lyft?
>

Magnetic X-Ray Pipeline Crawler

Zhong Yi brand pipeline crawler is magnetic/micro-video controlled crawler with DC X ray unit inst
alled for checking welding of pipeline. Move steadily inside the pipeline 6''-60''diameter with speed of up to 18m/min, Max. moving diatance 5 kilometers and provide the efficient inspection of the pipeline.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window