where expertise comes together - since 1996 -

The Largest Open Access Portal of Nondestructive Testing (NDT)

Conference Proceedings, Articles, News, Exhibition, Forum, Network and more

where expertise comes together
- since 1996 -

Technical Discussions
Joseph Batt
Joseph Batt
04:28 Jun-02-2000
TOFD

During measurements, is the probes distance so important?
I have found a formula:distance=2/3*2*c*tan a
c=velocity of longitudinal wave
a=angle of the probe

Is that correct?
In some books it is also said that it is better to do measurements
at two different distances between the probes.
Anyway, I find it very difficult to interpret data from the A scan.
I would appreciate if someone could give me some informations.
Thank you.

Joseph Batt

Udo Schlengermann
Consultant, -
Standards Consulting, Germany, Joined Nov 1998, 176

Udo Schlengermann

Consultant, -
Standards Consulting,
Germany,
Joined Nov 1998
02:23 Jun-05-2000
Re: TOFD
ls are weak, and TOFD uses (non rectified) Rf-signals, so interpretation of a single TOFD-A-scan makes no sense.
TOFD results of a lot of A-Scans have to be compiled in a B-Scan image.
In this B-Scan image the human eye can easily detect areas with irregularities.
Because of the wide beams used the images do not show the real shape of the irregularity. The pattern has to be interpreted. Only the points of minimum time-of-flight give some idea of the extension of the irregularity.

Kind regards
Udo Schlengermann

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
: During measurements, is the probes distance so important?
: I have found a formula:distance=2/3*2*c*tan a
: c=velocity of longitudinal wave
: a=angle of the probe

: Is that correct?
: In some books it is also said that it is better to do measurements
: at two different distances between the probes.
: Anyway, I find it very difficult to interpret data from the A scan.
: I would appreciate if someone could give me some informations.
: Thank you.

: Joseph Batt

Product Spotlight

SITEX CPSERIES

Teledyne ICM’s CPSERIES has been designed with a view to revolutionizing the handling and perfor
mances of portable X-Ray sets. Despite having managed to halve the weight of similar portable X-Ray generators available on the market (while continuing to provide the same power output), the SITEX CPSERIES generators feature a shutter, a laser pointer, a beryllium window, an aluminum filter and two integrated diaphragms (customized sizes are available upon request). Without compromising the robustness and reliability for which ICM products are renowned, the small size and light weight of the SITEX CPSERIES will radically change the way that you perform your RT inspections. And you will see a positive impact in terms of both quality and return on investment (ROI).
>

High Resolution Industrial CT System for Small/Medium Size Parts Inspection

The YXLON FF35 CT computed tomography system is designed to achieve extremely precise inspection res
ults for a wide range of applications. Available in a single or dual tube configuration, it is perfect for very small to medium size parts inspection in the automotive, electronics, aviation, and material science industries.
>

Robotic laser shearography enables 100% inspection of complex, flight-critical composite structures

An article in “Composites World Magazine” showcases Non Destructive Testing of aero-structures
with Laser Shearography. Over the years Dantec Dynamics has supplied many solutions for the aerospace industry. Referring to specific customer projects several of these cases are examined to outline the advantages of using Laser Shearography for automated defect detection.
>

TOPAZ® 64: Fully Integrated Portable 64 Channel PAUT Instrument with FMC & TFM

Introducing TOPAZ64, the industry’s most intelligent fully integrated, portable 64-channel phased
array ultrasound (UT) instrument. TOPAZ64 combines code-compliant phased array UT with the industry’s most advanced full matrix capture (FMC) and total focusing method (TFM) capabilities. Featuring the highest acquisition frequency in its class, high resolution FMC and a 12” multi-touchscreen, users can easily visualize even the smallest flaws. TOPAZ64 can generate a bipolar pulse that provides more acoustic energy versus previous models for punching through thick components. The result is a portable tool that delivers increased inspection coverage, more accurate signals, and the ability to handle all UT inspections in one package. TOPAZ64 is ideal for challenging applications in transportation, oil and gas, manufacturing and power generation.
>

Share...
We use technical and analytics cookies to ensure that we will give you the best experience of our website - More Info
Accept
this is debug window